TSSAA Legislative Council Action

CoachT

As a teacher/coach for more than 20 years, I will totally agree with you.

The rules were put into place because some coaches and parents can't control the fanatical obsessions with their kids playing abilities.

Kids today in many schools are forced to choose between sports, eliminating them from playing more than one sport. Others are told to play summer ball or they will not be on the team the next year.

I am NOT a TSSAA fan, not a Ronnie Carter fan; but I think they got this one right.

Maybe parents can find some other quality activities to do with their child than just year-round ball.

Lastly, I know that their will be those who will disagree with me; others who will "QUESTION MY COMMITMENT". SO for you; I am a father first and a coach second and I figure that at the end of the day I will be more blessed with my priorities this way.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a football coach, to me the only trouble I have with the new calendar is the the month of June. The 3 week end of the season dead period is no BIG deal for me. At the end of EVERY season I give the players 2 weeks off from weightlifting anyway when the season is over. It has not had a negative effect on our success as for the past three years we won at least 8 games every season and advanced to the quarterfinals this past year. After our quarterfinal loss this past year we took the usual two weeks off before resuming weighttraining. This gives the coaches a chance to do inventory and spend some time with their family as well as the players. I look at is if you are playing into November you do not get alot of weighttraining done until January anyway. You have Thanksgiving break and Christmas Break. I would like to see how many football coaches who advance deep into the playoffs actually resume and get much out of the weight program with Christmas Break and Mid-term/finals week going on shortly after season ends. This time off gives players who have been working on football since July a break to rest, heal some injuries and they get a chance to go home at 3:00 like other students. The june time hurts b/c alot of coaches will take some days to run through plays with their backs, work on blocking assignments with their line and also become involved with passing leagues to improve timing. This is a critical time before the season begins and it will hinder the teams early cohesiveness. So overall I think the down time before the season hurts more than the end of the season.

wardawg,

You could that the decrease in scrimmage opportunities hurts a football team in its early season of building s cohesive team. But I would look at the fact that some teams have 3 way scrimmages 2-3 times per week for 3 weeks. Then you take the teams that attend camp for a week and they have scrimmages 2-3 times a day for 3-5 days. Not all teams have the ability to go to camp and not all teams have the ability to scrimmage 8-10 times in the spring because of numbers.

Hey dawg, when you remember what the original proposal was, what has happened to football ain't half bad.

Guys, if you look at my post I think you will see that is what I am saying. It really did not affect football except for June. I do not have any passing leagues in June myself so it will not hurt. The only thing it will change will be the time in june that we have lineman days and skill days where the O-line's conditioning is going through the chutes and woking on boards. The backs and Wr's work routes and play some touch football using our routes and coverages. So this will change but not a huge deal to do that. I agree it does not hurt football that much the scrimmages yes. We had 29 players on roster and cometed in 4 scrimmages last fall. We did not go to a camp b/c as a single A school we could not afford it and as far as spring goes in the rules already set you were only allowed two scrimmages. Fall though was a different story. I agree that football was not hurt much by the proposal and i can live with the new rules just fine.

QUOTE(wardawg2038 @ Mar 19 2007 - 10:47 AM) 826417452[/snapback]Guys, if you look at my post I think you will see that is what I am saying. It really did not affect football except for June. I do not have any passing leagues in June myself so it will not hurt. The only thing it will change will be the time in june that we have lineman days and skill days where the O-line's conditioning is going through the chutes and woking on boards. The backs and Wr's work routes and play some touch football using our routes and coverages. So this will change but not a huge deal to do that. I agree it does not hurt football that much the scrimmages yes. We had 29 players on roster and cometed in 4 scrimmages last fall. We did not go to a camp b/c as a single A school we could not afford it and as far as spring goes in the rules already set you were only allowed two scrimmages. Fall though was a different story. I agree that football was not hurt much by the proposal and i can live with the new rules just fine.

I do agree with "idea" here, but also agree with someone that stated it above..who will actually "police" this and enforce it?

Also..another issue I see with the lack of "organized" football in the month of June is the possible affect it will have on exposure that many of the kids today can get when they attend 7v7 tournaments and line camps/challenges. When you start messing with those opportunites for kids, you possibly jeopardize the added exposure an athlete could get while at these events, which in the end, could even cost them scholarship $$.

QUOTE(bobbybooshay @ Mar 18 2007 - 05:43 PM) 826416567[/snapback]wardawg,

Why can't you do the same things in July that you planned on doing in June? What happens if your QB"S are playing travel baseball?

From what I've read, football came out smelling like a rose. Now, for basketball & baseball they didn't fare so well.

People say football is a year round thing. Football can't hold a candle to baseball and basketball. The problem with baseball and basketball is they never STOP. Once their season is over the better athletes play AAU basketball and the rest go to 3 or 4 team camps during the summer and summer league baseball starts for the next 3 months. Then they have fall league baseball until November. Then basketball season starts and baseball stops for November & December. In January baseball gets started again with pitchers and catchers doing their stuff and the rest are unofficially hitting in the cages.

Somebody (TSSAA ) has to say enough is enough. You brought it on yourself is all I have to say.

Bill you hit the nail on the head!! Football is not a year round sport. Yes players condition and lift during the off-season but this helps them in all their sports, not just football. What college football, baseball, basketball, track or any sport for that matter does not lift weights now? Answer none, they ALL lift. Football can't put the pads on in the summer and go to full contact camps, there are no outside independent spring or summer league football teams, Flag or contact. Yet in the other sports, basketball can play organized 5 on 5 and baseball organized 9 on 9 all year round basically. It has gotten ridiculous. People say it is for exposure, scholarships etc. that opens the door for a entirely different argument, as to what are the kids playing sports for the enjoyment and competition of the game or trying to earn a scholarship? It has been my experience if you are good enough to play at the next level then you will be signed. We had a QB this year sign to play at UT-Martin, he did not attend a single summer camp or combne ran by people or colleges. His on field performance and highlight tape got him his scholarship. Most college coaches are going to look at tape and talk to the HS coach to see if the kid can play. To sum up yeah football may have gotten of light compared to the other sports but if you look at the big pitcure this would be a FIRST!!

After seeing CoachT clarify some of these new rules particularly the 50% rule, they do not appear to be as burdensome as I first thought.

I don't undertsand why one Legislative Council member (Steve Harris, Franklin Road Academy) could not or would not vote on this proposal but that is a different issue.

QUOTE(Bighurt @ Mar 20 2007 - 02:28 PM) 826418623[/snapback]After seeing CoachT clarify some of these new rules particularly the 50% rule, they do not appear to be as burdensome as I first thought.

I don't undertsand why one Legislative Council member (Steve Harris, Franklin Road Academy) could not or would not vote on this proposal but that is a different issue.

Steve was chaperoning students on a trip to Europe, I think. Something like that.