TSSAA Makes changes

pedo_29

1. Took no action on a resolution to sanction trap and skeet shooting as a

sanctioned sport.

2. Took no action on the following proposal from Jackson Central Merry: A

student who transfers between schools involved in a cooperative program is

eligible to participate in sports shared by the cooperative programs.

3. The following changes were made to the TSSAA Sports Calendar, effective

with the 2007-2008 school year:

a. For fall and winter sports, a limit of 15 days of practice in the

summer.

b. The adding of six weeks of dead period during the school year for all

sports except football, which adds three weeks.

c. Reduction in the number of contests for all sports except football,

soccer and volleyball.

d. Elimination of spring practice in basketball.

e. Elimination of open facilities in spring sports until January 1.

f. Set a limit of preseason scrimmages in all sports (4 scrimmages or 2

scrimmage dates or 1 date and 2 scrimmages).

g. Added a 50% rule that applies to basketball, baseball, and softball

prior to the season beginning and during the school year. Participation

(includes practice) during the school year on a non-school team prior to

the season by students that will play the following season on the high

school team is limited to 50% of the number of players required to play

the game (i.e., 3 in basketball, 5 in baseball and softball).

h. Added: All athletic practice during the regular hours of any school day

shall confirm to the same rules, regulations, and seasons as corresponding

athletic practice outside the school day.

i. Have added three weeks in the summer in basketball and wrestling when

no open facilities are permitted.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is just great ... have the morons at TSSAA compared these wonderful resolutions to other states? Do they realize that the net effect will be that our kids will fall behind the development of kids from other states as well as from the rich kids in TN? Do they even care what the implications will be for college scholarships?

All they've done is given the independent - and ridiculously expensive - club teams opportunity to expand.

If you're from a family who finds it impossible to shell out $2000 for a top-flight summer or fall program, you're out of luck. Way to go TSSAA - always looking out for the little guy -- you've even just given these folks a free pass to jack up prices! The TSSAA just gave us a lesson in supply and demand: sports academies and private facilities now have less competition.

That's OK ... the kids from families with higher incomes ... the ones who can afford these programs ... they'll gladly shell it out. An oh yeah, they'll also appreciate the advantage they'll have in playing time ... since they will develop better skills quicker than their poorer classmates. And their parents, who can more easily afford college tuition, will appreciate the advantage their kids will get when competing for athletic scholarships.

How naive for us to think it a good thing to pay our high school coaches a couple hundred dollars a player to teach, mentor and coach our kids in the summer. Boy ... am I ever glad that the TSSAA put a stop to that criminal behavior. Sorry coach, it's back to working the early shift at UPS during the summer for you!

And another thing ... if student-athletes have less days to work out, just what does the TSSAA think is going to happen to the length of practices when teams can finally get together? There goes that quality family time.

Business tip - buy stock in your local health club - there will be a spike in memberships - paid by boosters who want to help kids succeed.

TSSAA - are you just plain ignorant or what? Everyone in the world knows that the best way to keep kids from gangs, drugs, alcohol abuse, premarital sex, and a host of other distractions is to keep them busy doing things they love that are good for them. So what do you do? You give them more free time to get in trouble. Let's give them more time where they have no accountability to teammates or to coaches. Let's keep fooling ourselves that mom and dad will be taking them out on vacation. Sorry ... mom and dad are busy working multiple jobs with split shirts just to keep from defaulting on mortgages so they can pay minimum payments on their credit cards.

Just what does TSSAA stand for anyways? Tennessean Stupidity Stifling Athletic Achievement?

Morons ... just a bunch of morons!!

QUOTE(BallFourBaseHit @ Mar 15 2007 - 03:35 PM) 826413155[/snapback]That is just great ... have the morons at TSSAA compared these wonderful resolutions to other states? Do they realize that the net effect will be that our kids will fall behind the development of kids from other states as well as from the rich kids in TN? Do they even care what the implications will be for college scholarships?

All they've done is given the independent - and ridiculously expensive - club teams opportunity to expand.

If you're from a family who finds it impossible to shell out $2000 for a top-flight summer or fall program, you're out of luck. Way to go TSSAA - always looking out for the little guy -- you've even just given these folks a free pass to jack up prices! The TSSAA just gave us a lesson in supply and demand: sports academies and private facilities now have less competition.

That's OK ... the kids from families with higher incomes ... the ones who can afford these programs ... they'll gladly shell it out. An oh yeah, they'll also appreciate the advantage they'll have in playing time ... since they will develop better skills quicker than their poorer classmates. And their parents, who can more easily afford college tuition, will appreciate the advantage their kids will get when competing for athletic scholarships.

How naive for us to think it a good thing to pay our high school coaches a couple hundred dollars a player to teach, mentor and coach our kids in the summer. Boy ... am I ever glad that the TSSAA put a stop to that criminal behavior. Sorry coach, it's back to working the early shift at UPS during the summer for you!

And another thing ... if student-athletes have less days to work out, just what does the TSSAA think is going to happen to the length of practices when teams can finally get together? There goes that quality family time.

Business tip - buy stock in your local health club - there will be a spike in memberships - paid by boosters who want to help kids succeed.

TSSAA - are you just plain ignorant or what? Everyone in the world knows that the best way to keep kids from gangs, drugs, alcohol abuse, premarital sex, and a host of other distractions is to keep them busy doing things they love that are good for them. So what do you do? You give them more free time to get in trouble. Let's give them more time where they have no accountability to teammates or to coaches. Let's keep fooling ourselves that mom and dad will be taking them out on vacation. Sorry ... mom and dad are busy working multiple jobs with split shirts just to keep from defaulting on mortgages so they can pay minimum payments on their credit cards.

Just what does TSSAA stand for anyways? Tennessean Stupidity Stifling Athletic Achievement?

Morons ... just a bunch of morons!!

I COMPLETELY AGREE!!!!!!!

/huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> If I'm reading this correctly, even summer rec leagues can't have more than 5 of their high school baseball or softball players participating on the same team? There won't even be more than one team in some areas and what about all stars?

I think the intent is to cut out AAU summer basketball and football passing leagues, but the effect on baseball, which is in season during the summer is huge. Is the high school coach supposed to keep track of where his players are playing during the off season? The effect will be as someone pointed out, the elite players will have teams to play on and the marginal players and the younger ones will have to scramble to get on a summer team. What I foresee is an arrangement between 2 or more schools to divide their teams to the limits defined and co op. If the high school coach isn't involved, how will the dead period be enforced for summer baseball? This thing hasn't been thought out very well. A good summer baseball program will play twice as many games as the high school team to begin with. How does the state high school association get by with legislating what happens on teams over which they have no jurisdiction? Will Tennessee kids go to other states for their summer programs? If I were a high school baseball coach, I'd disband the team at the end of the high school season and have tryouts in the fall every year to see who is on the team. Can the TSSAA legislate players that may or may not be on the team the next year? How would they know? I'd rather see no contact with high school coaches during the summer than to limit how many players from the same high school team can participate in summer programs.

This is just plain BAD! Does TSSAA ask anyone about any of this stuff or do they just do it because they can. The best way to keep a child out of trouble is to keep them busy. All kids are not going to be model citizens by themselves some need some help. And sure they may say that they can do more with their families but I for one have to work all day........yeah even in the summer, so I can't just do things with them all the time.

I have a question though:

Now read the rule about the 50%, to me it does not mean anything in the summer. It says prior to the season beginning and during the school year. Participation during the school year...........

Is that just wishful thinking on my part or am I just looking at the rule wrong? How do you guys interept it?

QUOTE(ksgovols @ Mar 16 2007 - 01:07 AM) 826413824[/snapback]/huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> If I'm reading this correctly, even summer rec leagues can't have more than 5 of their high school baseball or softball players participating on the same team? There won't even be more than one team in some areas and what about all stars?

I think the intent is to cut out AAU summer basketball and football passing leagues, but the effect on baseball, which is in season during the summer is huge. Is the high school coach supposed to keep track of where his players are playing during the off season? The effect will be as someone pointed out, the elite players will have teams to play on and the marginal players and the younger ones will have to scramble to get on a summer team. What I foresee is an arrangement between 2 or more schools to divide their teams to the limits defined and co op. If the high school coach isn't involved, how will the dead period be enforced for summer baseball? This thing hasn't been thought out very well. A good summer baseball program will play twice as many games as the high school team to begin with. How does the state high school association get by with legislating what happens on teams over which they have no jurisdiction? Will Tennessee kids go to other states for their summer programs? If I were a high school baseball coach, I'd disband the team at the end of the high school season and have tryouts in the fall every year to see who is on the team. Can the TSSAA legislate players that may or may not be on the team the next year? How would they know? I'd rather see no contact with high school coaches during the summer than to limit how many players from the same high school team can participate in summer programs.

I think it will back fire on them. I see a time when high school baseball will be for those who just see it as a hobby or something. High school teams will loose the top players. Travel ball will take over highschool baseball.

The thing that's really bad....take here in Madison Co. for example.....we (baseball booster clubs) have had to build our fields, buy and install our lights, provide for field maintinance, buy uniforms, bats, chalk, fertilzer, seed, bleachers, and the list goes on....we have to fully fund our baseball program. Why keep doing that when new baseball complexes are springing up everywhere. You could have a top flight program for what we're spending.

TSSAA is getting way out of hand. They need to be regulated......NOW!!!!

QUOTE(volunteerfan23 @ Mar 16 2007 - 05:56 AM) 826413845[/snapback]This is just plain BAD! Does TSSAA ask anyone about any of this stuff or do they just do it because they can. The best way to keep a child out of trouble is to keep them busy. All kids are not going to be model citizens by themselves some need some help. And sure they may say that they can do more with their families but I for one have to work all day........yeah even in the summer, so I can't just do things with them all the time.

I have a question though:

Now read the rule about the 50%, to me it does not mean anything in the summer. It says prior to the season beginning and during the school year. Participation during the school year...........

Is that just wishful thinking on my part or am I just looking at the rule wrong? How do you guys interept it?

It is my understanding that this rule will not effect summer baseball and will effect all the fall baseball the Murfreesboro schools have.