Maryville AAA State Champions!

Rebel96

QUOTE(REBELRON @ Mar 21 2007 - 04:14 PM) 826419636[/snapback]I think the reason I was shocked is I was expecting to see dominant Memphis teams. Over the years I have watched the State Tourney I have watched teams like Ridgeway,White Station and Hamilton dominate. I never seen teams like the Dane Bradshaw led White Station teams were. I think that is why I was shocked to see Maryville win state. Their wasn't a super dominant team in the AAA tourney. Any of those teams could have won it. Before Maryville went to the tourney they lost to Powell by 19 in the region championship.

Honestly some insiders were not shocked at all that this team won state. There were a few players ,that preseason even predicted they would win state. Many fans and players did not post on here for fear of tipping people off. Staying humble and getting no respect were key allies.

I think they knew they could win it all when they realized in the preseason they were able to play Oglesby(number 1 player in state) and Bradley Central( number 3 team in state) fairly even , and without the football players (Douglas, Maples and Hunt). I think they played off on being the underdogs all season. All losses were no big deal including the loss to Powell. In fact I think it helped in light of the fact they had fairly poor fan support ,to go on the road. To play in a loud hostile place like Science Hill and beat them was just the ticket this team needed to give them the confidence to go all the way. Getting no respect kept them humble. Even now many think it was some kind of fluke that they won state /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Then to get Bradley Central in the first round was just what they needed. Basketball is all about peaking at the right time and Maryville did. It helped being the underdogs all year with a little luck here and there. I don't think they will be able to play the underdog next year. It was good while it lasted. Hopefully the fans will get behind this coach and players next year and make the difference. Clarksville and Liberty fan support is the pattern of what we should be like next year.

One last point, there were many players on the bench that would have started elsewhere and that may have made a big difference. Case in point was Click and his game winning shot. Hats off to D Hunt and his great attitude and support of his teammates. He could have started on any other team and it had to be tough for him as the starting QB to sit the bench. Allen, Jolly , Pickle and all the rest were also solid contributers. Eldridge did a great job of being the glue that held this team together.....and at times it looked like they would unravel. He set the "cool" pattern and Clicks shot was the icing on the cake. It was really no surprise at all, in retrospect, to "them".

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(MRFan4U @ Mar 21 2007 - 08:42 PM) 826419782[/snapback]Honestly some insiders were not shocked at all that this team won state. There were a few players ,that preseason even predicted they would win state. Many fans and players did not post on here for fear of tipping people off. Staying humble and getting no respect were key allies.

I think they knew they could win it all when they realized in the preseason they were able to play Oglesby(number 1 player in state) and Bradley Central( number 3 team in state) fairly even , and without the football players (Douglas, Maples and Hunt). I think they played off on being the underdogs all season. All losses were no big deal including the loss to Powell. In fact I think it helped in light of the fact they had fairly poor fan support ,to go on the road. To play in a loud hostile place like Science Hill and beat them was just the ticket this team needed to give them the confidence to go all the way. Getting no respect kept them humble. Even now many think it was some kind of fluke that they won state /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Then to get Bradley Central in the first round was just what they needed. Basketball is all about peaking at the right time and Maryville did. It helped being the underdogs all year with a little luck here and there. I don't think they will be able to play the underdog next year. It was good while it lasted. Hopefully the fans will get behind this coach and players next year and make the difference. Clarksville and Liberty fan support is the pattern of what we should be like next year.

One last point, there were many players on the bench that would have started elsewhere and that may have made a big difference. Case in point was Click and his game winning shot. Hats off to D Hunt and his great attitude and support of his teammates. He could have started on any other team and it had to be tough for him as the starting QB to sit the bench. Allen, Jolly , Pickle and all the rest were also solid contributers. Eldridge did a great job of being the glue that held this team together.....and at times it looked like they would unravel. He set the "cool" pattern and Clicks shot was the icing on the cake. It was really no surprise at all, in retrospect, to "them".

Very well put. You summed everything up perfectly!!

1st off everyone is shocked including fans and PLAYERS. This championship was so such better than all the footballs together, because Maryville Football is expected to win, basketball isnt. Dont forget those great players Maryville had in 2000, 4 were suspended the first 4 games.

Ryan Click for President 08' Douglas VP

QUOTE(Rade Butcher @ Mar 21 2007 - 03:35 PM) 826419564[/snapback]I thought their fan support was horrible RR and it was not THAT far to come. As you said had it been football the roads would have been clogged and motel rooms full as far away as Columbia. You should not be shocked about the win...that was a quality ball club with TALENT at Maryville. Reminded me of WC in 1999 except this team was much better. That white kid could shoot the lights out and the big boys were agile......no fluke here dude!

WC in 1999?

MRFan4U

I will admit that when Maryville beat Science Hill and punched their ticket to Murfreesboro I didn't think they could win state. It wasn't that I thought Maryville wasn't that good. I knew Maryville had an outstanding team. Maryville has a very good point guard in Jordon Damron. Aaron Douglas is a beast inside. Maples is a lockdown defender. Kent Basile is a very good one on one player. Wes Lambert was a solid player who can shoot and play good defense. Maryvills got solid contribution from their bench all year long. Ryan Click,Will Jolly and Jay Reynolds helped Maryville win a lot of games. I thought Kyle Pickle should have played more.

The reason I didn't give Maryville a shot is because I assumed that Ridgeway or Craigmont would win the title. I have went to the State Tourney in 1996,1997,2000,2002,2003,2004 and 2005. Everyone of those years except 1997 a Memphis team won the State Title in AAA. Memphis pretty much dominated in AA also. I didn't get to go to the Maryville/Bradley game because of my work. I saw Maryville beat Whites Creek. After that game I watched Oakland and Clarksville play.After watching that game I thought Maryville had a great shot then. Clarksville and Oakland were good but not the super team like the Dane Bradshaw led White Station teams were.Maryville played outstanding basketball in the state tourney. Maples and Douglas brought the football toughness to the basketball team.

A lot of people will think this title is a fluke. Maryville has had outstanding teams for the last several years. Those Lee Humphrey led teams were as good as anyone besides White Station. This decade Maryville has a 208-54 record. Maryville has won several district championships.

QUOTE(REBELRON @ Mar 22 2007 - 01:48 PM) 826420435[/snapback]MRFan4U

I will admit that when Maryville beat Science Hill and punched their ticket to Murfreesboro I didn't think they could win state. It wasn't that I thought Maryville wasn't that good. I knew Maryville had an outstanding team. Maryville has a very good point guard in Jordon Damron. Aaron Douglas is a beast inside. Maples is a lockdown defender. Kent Basile is a very good one on one player. Wes Lambert was a solid player who can shoot and play good defense. Maryvills got solid contribution from their bench all year long. Ryan Click,Will Jolly and Jay Reynolds helped Maryville win a lot of games. I thought Kyle Pickle should have played more.

The reason I didn't give Maryville a shot is because I assumed that Ridgeway or Craigmont would win the title. I have went to the State Tourney in 1996,1997,2000,2002,2003,2004 and 2005. Everyone of those years except 1997 a Memphis team won the State Title in AAA. Memphis pretty much dominated in AA also. I didn't get to go to the Maryville/Bradley game because of my work. I saw Maryville beat Whites Creek. After that game I watched Oakland and Clarksville play.After watching that game I thought Maryville had a great shot then. Clarksville and Oakland were good but not the super team like the Dane Bradshaw led White Station teams were.Maryville played outstanding basketball in the state tourney. Maples and Douglas brought the football toughness to the basketball team.

A lot of people will think this title is a fluke. Maryville has had outstanding teams for the last several years. Those Lee Humphrey led teams were as good as anyone besides White Station. This decade Maryville has a 208-54 record. Maryville has won several district championships.

Where can I get a copy of that photo and who took it? Great shot!

QUOTE(REBELRON @ Mar 23 2007 - 06:49 AM) 826420841[/snapback]Knox News Sentenel. It was on the slideshow. I liked the pic also.

Okay, if you look at the picture of Maryville winning the state and they are all in front of the goal, if you look right above coach eldridges head, you can see me in a white t-shirt.