West Tennessee Basketball: What happened you guys?

triathlete

QUOTE(3153 @ Mar 20 2007 - 11:03 AM) 826418391[/snapback]quote: "It just comes down to the fact that coming out of the west is harder than coming out of the east."

Best statement I've heard and completely true. That's the best way to put it.

If indeed that statement is true, then it would still make sense to think the team that did "come out of the west" shouldn't have any problems with the weaker E. Tennessee teams.Cannot argue with the fact that indeed Liberty was the best team in the entire tournament.One big difference I noted in Murfreesboro was coaching. The majority of the East and Middle TN teams that were there were better coached and better disciplined than the West TN teams (Liberty excluded).

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GovMan @ Mar 20 2007 - 01:27 PM) 826418578[/snapback]If indeed that statement is true, then it would still make sense to think the team that did "come out of the west" shouldn't have any problems with the weaker E. Tennessee teams.Cannot argue with the fact that indeed Liberty was the best team in the entire tournament.One big difference I noted in Murfreesboro was coaching. The majority of the East and Middle TN teams that were there were better coached and better disciplined than the West TN teams (Liberty excluded).

Lol..there were only 2 west TN teams there...Liberty and Humboldt....??? whats your point???

QUOTE(truhoopsfan @ Mar 20 2007 - 10:49 AM) 826418382[/snapback]I wonder how many east TN players Coach Pearl is recruiting. The dude practically lived in Bolivar last year.

Did he live in the same dorm where most of the Bolivar recruits stay? (Chism, etc......)

Only two West Tennessee teams there? I guess Dyer County and Mitchell aren't considered West Tennessee. The coaching is better in the east but the teams jsut aren't as talented. I really felt the reason Liberty was so good is because they have good coaching to go with all that talent. I like the coach from Ridgeway as well. All in all a pretty weak year out west from what I've seen in the past.

QUOTE(FLMS @ Mar 20 2007 - 02:38 PM) 826418665[/snapback]Only two West Tennessee teams there? I guess Dyer County and Mitchell aren't considered West Tennessee. The coaching is better in the east but the teams jsut aren't as talented. I really felt the reason Liberty was so good is because they have good coaching to go with all that talent. I like the coach from Ridgeway as well. All in all a pretty weak year out west from what I've seen in the past.

I guess you don't think Temple has much "talent", right?

Grant it, they have a good coach but you have to give them credit for being good players as well.

QUOTE(GCPioneer @ Mar 20 2007 - 12:30 PM) 826418581[/snapback]Lol..there were only 2 west TN teams there...Liberty and Humboldt....??? whats your point???

When you get through laughing ... check your map and see where Westside (A); Mitchell, Dyer County (AA); Craigmont and Ridgeway (AAA) are all from. It's called geography ... you ought to check in to it!

QUOTE(GovMan @ Mar 20 2007 - 04:00 PM) 826418684[/snapback]When you get through laughing ... check your map and see where Westside (A); Mitchell, Dyer County (AA); Craigmont and Ridgeway (AAA) are all from. It's called geography ... you ought to check in to it!

forgot about Dyer Co...and I was referring to rural West TN...most of those other schools are Memphis metro schools and whenever you have players like that you really don't have to have a state of the arc coach but it might help...however Dyer Co. is VERY well-coached no matter what you say

QUOTE(GovMan @ Mar 20 2007 - 12:27 PM) 826418578[/snapback]If indeed that statement is true, then it would still make sense to think the team that did "come out of the west" shouldn't have any problems with the weaker E. Tennessee teams.

It is true. Go look up the scores from past state tournaments. Look at how many times a team from the west has beaten an East Tennessee team by 20 or more points during the state tournament. Now compare that to how many times the east has done it to the west.

Or you can look up how many times the east hasn't won a championship in any class and compare that to how many times the west didn't win one. (good luck there)

Or look at how district 12AA has been home the last 4 gold balls in AA.

Or look at 2005 when the only two high schools in a small West Tennessee county both won the championship in their class.

I could go on and on, but my point is this. The best team might not come from the west, but there are certainly more very good teams in the west. It makes it harder to get to the state tournament because its harder to get out of the district, regional, and sub-state games.

QUOTE(montague1 @ Mar 20 2007 - 05:40 PM) 826418737[/snapback]It is true. Go look up the scores from past state tournaments. Look at how many times a team from the west has beaten an East Tennessee team by 20 or more points during the state tournament. Now compare that to how many times the east has done it to the west.

Or you can look up how many times the east hasn't won a championship in any class and compare that to how many times the west didn't win one. (good luck there)

Or look at 2005 when the only two high schools in a small West Tennessee county both won the championship in their class.

I could go on and on, but my point is this. The best team might not come from the west, but there are certainly more very good teams in the west. It makes it harder to get to the state tournament because its harder to get out of the district, regional, and sub-state games.

I'm really shocked. I thought the Liberty fans would be running away with this thread by now. As far as East vs West, well, everyone knows the real deal on that.

QUOTE(montague1 @ Mar 20 2007 - 04:40 PM) 826418737[/snapback]It is true. Go look up the scores from past state tournaments. Look at how many times a team from the west has beaten an East Tennessee team by 20 or more points during the state tournament. Now compare that to how many times the east has done it to the west.

Well, if you really want to look at the "overall" "all-time" picture and not just the past few years...

Most State Tournament Appearances: Both #1 and #2 are East Tennessee Teams

Most State Tournament Games: Both #1 and #2 teams are East Tennessee

Most State Tournament Wins: #1 is East Tennessee team; #2,3, & 4 are East Tennessee and Middle Tennessee

*Even Most State Tournament Losses: #1 and #2 are East Tennessee teams

QUOTE(KublahKD @ Mar 20 2007 - 06:14 PM) 826418768[/snapback]Umm, that's because of integration, seeing as how most West TN towns are atleast 50% African American that would definetley have a huge effect. Why don't you go look at how West TN dominated for 5-6 years after integration.

WOW! Great Point! Many old timers in Hardeman County say the Bolivar Industrial School's team with Joe L. Reaves and Allen-White High School (Whiteville, TN) with Joe Crisp was wwwaaayyy better than the basketball we see know in Bolivar. But, that's just Hardeman County talk. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />