Postseason Split

CoachT

QUOTE(Bighurt @ Mar 23 2007 - 09:09 AM) 826420931[/snapback]This proposal is certainly worth discussing. If separating public schools and private schools for the playoffs reduces the bickering and animosity, then I am all for it.

Personally, regardless of who is at fault in the present or past, I would like to get this situation completely solved meaning split completely for the playoffs. Non-financial aid private schools play each other and finanical aid schools play each other in the DII playoffs. Let the private schools decide how to arrange this themselves.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Indian @ Mar 22 2007 - 01:12 PM) 826420370[/snapback]I'd hate to be left out of the playoffs due to computer rankings for scheduling a relatively weak team which consistently brings hundreds of fans, instead of scheduling a strong program which literally might bring less than 50.

I honestly don't know how hard it would be to do this. I don't think you go totally by a computer ranking but use one, probably Earl Nall's, as a guide. It would be pretty easy to go back and look at last season and tell who probably didn't belong in the playoffs and who should have gotten in. However, that is under a region format with every team playing every other team. I'm not sure how well it goes when you start scheduling who you want to, or can, in the regular season. That is why I think you have to have some human input, outside the computer ranking, at the end of the selection process.

The selection process would be exciting, though. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(coacht @ Mar 23 2007 - 10:05 AM) 826420975[/snapback]I honestly don't know how hard it would be to do this. I don't think you go totally by a computer ranking but use one, probably Earl Nall's, as a guide. It would be pretty easy to go back and look at last season and tell who probably didn't belong in the playoffs and who should have gotten in. However, that is under a region format with every team playing every other team. I'm not sure how well it goes when you start scheduling who you want to, or can, in the regular season. That is why I think you have to have some human input, outside the computer ranking, at the end of the selection process.

The selection process would be exciting, though. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I think that Earl should chair the selection committee and CoachT could be the co-chair. lazarus could help and muffin because he/she always seems to be able to pick winners in the CoachT contests. Of course, iamoz could contribute Geek support.

If anyone had complaints (I am sure there would not be any), they could call either Earl or CoachT directly . . . at home . . . any time, day or night. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I agree with CoachT that there would need to be a human component in addition to computer rankings.

QUOTE(coacht @ Mar 23 2007 - 08:54 AM) 826420969[/snapback]Personally, regardless of who is at fault in the present or past, I would like to get this situation completely solved meaning split completely for the playoffs. Non-financial aid private schools play each other and finanical aid schools play each other in the DII playoffs. Let the private schools decide how to arrange this themselves.

I understand what you are saying coachT. But if you are going to basically say "all privates in DII, decided how to do a playoff yourself", then why would the privates even want to stay under TSSAA? there would be no reason to stay under the TSSAA afte that.

QUOTE(coacht @ Mar 23 2007 - 09:05 AM) 826420975[/snapback]I honestly don't know how hard it would be to do this. I don't think you go totally by a computer ranking but use one, probably Earl Nall's, as a guide. It would be pretty easy to go back and look at last season and tell who probably didn't belong in the playoffs and who should have gotten in. However, that is under a region format with every team playing every other team. I'm not sure how well it goes when you start scheduling who you want to, or can, in the regular season.

Well, we could instigate a rule that at least 5 of the 10 games you play must be teams that are in your classification??? i'm just kinda brainstorming. But if you did that it would make it easier to compare teams where it would be really hard to compare say, Gordonsville, if their season consisted of playing only 2A and 3A schools.

QUOTE(Bighurt @ Mar 23 2007 - 09:09 AM) 826420931[/snapback]This proposal is certainly worth discussing. If separating public schools and private schools for the playoffs reduces the bickering and animosity, then I am all for it.

I agree.

QUOTE(coacht @ Mar 23 2007 - 09:54 AM) 826420969[/snapback]Personally, regardless of who is at fault in the present or past, I would like to get this situation completely solved meaning split completely for the playoffs. Non-financial aid private schools play each other and finanical aid schools play each other in the DII playoffs. Let the private schools decide how to arrange this themselves.

The greatest quote on CoachT ever.

QUOTE(FCSprideatUT @ Mar 23 2007 - 12:11 PM) 826421035[/snapback]I understand what you are saying coachT. But if you are going to basically say "all privates in DII, decided how to do a playoff yourself", then why would the privates even want to stay under TSSAA? there would be no reason to stay under the TSSAA afte that.

I'm sure there are reasons that I don't know, for and against, but a few off the top is that having different opponents in the regular season than you play in the playoffs has to be better. DII having to play each other in the regular season, the last few years, and then playing the same teams again in the playoffs can't be a very good way to do it. Also, catastrophic insurance is affordable for teams only because of the sheer numbers of schools which spreads the cost. I don't know if a small group of schools could afford it. Thirdly, travel- travel- travel.

QUOTE(coacht @ Mar 23 2007 - 09:05 AM) 826420975[/snapback]I honestly don't know how hard it would be to do this. I don't think you go totally by a computer ranking but use one, probably Earl Nall's, as a guide. It would be pretty easy to go back and look at last season and tell who probably didn't belong in the playoffs and who should have gotten in. However, that is under a region format with every team playing every other team. I'm not sure how well it goes when you start scheduling who you want to, or can, in the regular season. That is why I think you have to have some human input, outside the computer ranking, at the end of the selection process.

It would be just as easy to have a merit system.

• 2 months later...

I can see teams like Howard being squeezed out because they bring no fans, I know they weren't even considered for non-region games by the area 2A teams, after they went to 3A. Some years they literally had 10 or less in the stands, despite being only about 45 minutes away. The last football game I saw at Howard, they maybe had 75 in the home stands and they were okay that year, probably 5-5. I can't see how they'd get enough significant wins to make the playoffs since they'd have to scrap together a schedule. Around here it actually might work well for the regular season-You could have old rivals Sequatchie, Bledsoe, Whitwell, Grundy, Marion and South Pittsburg play each other, right now they're scattered from 1A to 3A. But again that might not be impressive enough for the playoffs. Most of those have dropped off badly in the last few years and even South Pittsburg has a bad season every now and then, they were 2-8 I think at the start of the decade and had a losing record I think in 2004. Summing it up, I believe the problem would be at times, schools having to choose between opponents that would be strong enough to make them playoff eligible (if they could win those games) and money games if the opponent wasn't the strongest. I'd hate to schedule, just as an example, McCallie, to increase your points, then see them lose a quarterback, running back, etc to injury, go 0-10 and your playoff potential be damaged because they're a weak team that year.

Personally, regardless of who is at fault in the present or past, I would like to get this situation completely solved meaning split completely for the playoffs. Non-financial aid private schools play each other and finanical aid schools play each other in the DII playoffs. Let the private schools decide how to arrange this themselves.

I've been saying this on this site for years.

Let me pick Lawrence County (currently 4A) and see how I would ideally put it together.

(1) Before playoffs and classes, LCHS played in the CTC (Central Tennessee Conference). That could be revived if most or all of these schools wanted to. It would consist of LCHS, Lincoln Co, Franklin Co, Columbia, Shelbyville, Tullahoma, and Coffee Co (which, by the way, is exactly the teams in District 8AAA for all other sports.) Therefore, six games guaranteed so LCHS would have 4 games to pick up.

(2) After the regular season, LCHS would pair with the same region teams they are with now, perhaps. Hickman County (Centerville), Hillsboro (Nashville), Lawrence County (Lawrenceburg), Maplewood (Nashville), Shelbyville, Stratford (Nashville), Tullahoma, Whites Creek. (One major plus is that you could have equal number of teams in each region since you don't have to play any of them, if you don't want to, in the regular season).

(3) Pick the top teams from that region. Four teams, two teams? Perhaps pair them against each other in the first round of the playoffs.

You could also cut down to 3 or 4 regions, if you chose to. If you wnet down to three you could use the same regions as basketball's districts EXCEPT I think you need to even them up, same number in each region, as explained above.

Some problems I think this would help either solve or at least lessen: (1) traditional rivalries could return. (2) travel should be less, in most cases (3) And, obviously, public and private schools would not meet in the playoffs. There was never a problem until the playoffs began. Like it or not, I think we have proven that there will always be a problem if these teams meet in the playoffs. Not only that, public and private teams would once again enjoy competing with each other the way they did prior to the playoff system evolving.

I can see teams like Howard being squeezed out because they bring no fans, I know they weren't even considered for non-region games by the area 2A teams, after they went to 3A. Some years they literally had 10 or less in the stands, despite being only about 45 minutes away. The last football game I saw at Howard, they maybe had 75 in the home stands and they were okay that year, probably 5-5. I can't see how they'd get enough significant wins to make the playoffs since they'd have to scrap together a schedule. Around here it actually might work well for the regular season-You could have old rivals Sequatchie, Bledsoe, Whitwell, Grundy, Marion and South Pittsburg play each other, right now they're scattered from 1A to 3A. But again that might not be impressive enough for the playoffs. Most of those have dropped off badly in the last few years and even South Pittsburg has a bad season every now and then, they were 2-8 I think at the start of the decade and had a losing record I think in 2004. Summing it up, I believe the problem would be at times, schools having to choose between opponents that would be strong enough to make them playoff eligible (if they could win those games) and money games if the opponent wasn't the strongest. I'd hate to schedule, just as an example, McCallie, to increase your points, then see them lose a quarterback, running back, etc to injury, go 0-10 and your playoff potential be damaged because they're a weak team that year.

In all likelihood, the county school system (in this case, Hamilton) would force their schools to "stick together" to make sure all the county teams had a full schedule. Schools that might be left out would be the smaller, private schols. In a county like Hamilton, there might be enough of them to fill out a schedule, but it would be difficult. Another fallout of this might be that schools in the outlying counties (like Sequatchie) could be shut out from scheduling Hamilton County schools if HC forced its schools to schedule each other. I haven't tried to figure out exactly how it would all work, but I could see some potential problems for some schools.