umps?

Guest inappropriate87

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Apr 14 2007 - 12:26 AM) 826437196[/snapback]DBmom whenever you are in town i am easy to find most people know who RIVERDALEMAN is as i dont hide my identity and anyone who has heard of coach T can lead you right to me so please look me up next time you are close to town

I will take you up on that. I enjoy meeting new friends.

just play the game.

i had a game here in Knoxville today that was a text book ballgame that fans, players, coaches, umpires, and whoever else was bearing the conditions just loved. I would have loved this game on a beautiful afternoon without the conditions.

The teams were ready to play, the bats were swung, the plays were made (for the most part haha), and we saw some close plays.

I made some calls at first that were bang, bang. Didn't have any dispute. Quality coaches. I must admit I am no veteran of umpiring, but I hustled and these coaches have respect for us and it was greatly appreciated. The fans were the same. Yeah they saw some pitches they didnt like, they expressed their feelings quickly and it was over. The strike-zone of my partner was the same throughout the game and all was well.

EXACTLY HOW THE GAME SHOULD BE PLAYED.

I played high school ball for a punk as a coach. Love the guy off the field, but he was a punk to the umpires(and he knows it /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> ) . It helps every once in a while for a coach to buck up and take on the umpire to build some moral and know they are behind their team, but when it's all the time it just gets old for everyone. (if its too much your players depend on it)

Let umpires do their job, let the coach do theirs, and as fans you do yours. Mutual respect for all three positions results in a game like I umpired today.

Good luck to all!

I have an interesting ump story. I was at a recent game and one of the oppositions boys was called safe at second, I thought it was a dubious call but it wasn't mine to make. One of our folks got overly upset and yelled, "They're payin' the umpire!" The interesting part was that I overheard one of the parents of the other team turn to another and said, "I wish winning were that easy, WE'D never lose!" the other parent gave them a look that couldn't have said "preach on!" more clearly. Three guesses to where this happened and the first two don't count.

Umpires make mistakes and i can live with that. But i have overheard some of them talking some don't care if they get calls right or not it's just about the MONEY! those are the one's that make all umpires look bad. Those are the ones that hate an extra inning game because extra innings don't pay extra money. I have heard umpires say strikes equal outs outs equal innings and innings equal games. So not all umpires are bad but those like the ones i just described make all look bad.

QUOTE(ksgovols @ Apr 11 2007 - 11:08 AM) 826434795[/snapback]Your defense is playing error free ball this season? No mental mistakes on the basepaths, no throwing to the wrong base, missing signs, hanging curve balls or misjudged fly balls?

But you want the umpiring to be perfect. Gotcha......

From my observations, over several years of hanging around ball parks, it seems that umpiring is probably just below coaching as far as respect! Most parents can't fathom the possibility that there little Johnny could possibly be just average. Which means he is going to make some errors and strike out at least occassionally. So this means that either the coach messed up or the ump blew the call. It's funny how when the team is winning and Johnny is playing good, that you don't hear much from these parents. But, lose a couple games or let Johnny go hitless or make a couple of errors, then the complaints start flowing. If they can't get any support for their feeling that it is the coaching or the umps, field conditions usually start getting commented on. Anything other than Johnny! All of this is usually followed by mentioning the possibility of transferring to a school where Johnny's talent would be better suited. (Usually a smaller school or possibly even a private school) Where Johnny can get better coaching and play on a better field while playing against schools that almost gaurantee success and a winning record.

I usually see some questionable calls at any game, little league, high school, college, even pros. But rarely does one call or one ump cost a team a game. There are some umps that are too old or even too young and inexperienced, but they are calling the same game for both teams. You just don't see "homers" calling in sports these days. I think that in most instances, the one factor that influences a kid and his future are the parents. They set the pattern that the kid will live his life by and when they set an example that it is always someone elses fault, the kid grows up thinking that and will most likely never be a success. Parents can't protect their kids from all of the adversity they will face in their life, but they can prepare them to overcome adversity if they will just encourage them and help them to fight through tough times including bad umpires calls!

I know I got a little carried away, but it seems there are just so many parents these days that try to protect and hide their kids from experiencing life by always blaming somebody or something else when the child faces failure and hard times. Failure, frustration, disappointment and mistakes are all part of life. The kid has to learn to deal with these things in order to be a success in life or sports.

another thing, players that show a lot of attitude and disrespect to umpires have heard disrespect to umpires(usually their parents) since they played little league!!! that is another thing that people should think bout. for instance when you were in little league and you lost a game and your mom or dad says you did great those umpires are just idiots. i know where i come from that was the only reason that you lost a game. it was the umpires fault. it had nothin to do with youre team makin 20 errors and the other pitcher no hittin you. and last year when i started umpiring little league games and calls that i made that were no brainers, it doesnt matter what call you make. the only givin is one team will be mad and one team will be happy. umpires are in no win situations, you cant make everyone happy in baseball and it has always been like that.

Guest inappropriate87

QUOTE(putboobieincoach @ Apr 14 2007 - 07:53 PM) 826437656[/snapback]is it just me... or do people need to understand that umpires are only human???

yeah we know that but the ones i have seen this year are blind humans

QUOTE(inappropriate87 @ Apr 15 2007 - 10:32 PM) 826438281[/snapback]yeah we know that but the ones i have seen this year are blind humans

UNTIL YOU PUT THE GEAR ON AND GET BEHIND THE PLATE SOME CALLS DONT EVER SEEM TO GO YOUR WAY.....WHEN I PLAYED AND THEN COACHED I WOULD SOMETIMES GIVE UMPS A HARD TIME BUT AFTER I HAVE BEEN UMPING FOR ABOUT 7 YEARS EVERYONE HAS A BAD CALL ,PLAY OR DECISION, PLAYERS AND COACHES INCLUDED......SO I SAY GIVE THE GUYS IN BLUE A BREAK.... AS SOMEONE ELSE SAID THEY ARE ONLY HUMAN