Carlton Flatt gets a new gig

DS2001

QUOTE(hsfootball @ Apr 16 2007 - 08:32 AM) 826438428[/snapback]This will be very interesting to see how Coach Flatt does when he cannot go out and get the best athlete on the block. In the public school setting you have to win with the hand that is delt you. I have heard that the principal at Eagleville thinks she is a football know-it-all. Good luck to all involved!!!

A lot of you guys are clearly basing your opinions of Coach Flatt on what you read and on what you want to believe --it's so much better if he's "Darth Vader the Eevil Stealer of Public School Talent".

I hadn't heard about the Eagelville job but it wouldn't surprize me. I had the opportunity to talk to him a couple of months ago and he expressed a real desire to go to a smaller rural school and be involved in developing a program again. What many of you don't seem to get is that he loves to coach. More than that, he loves to shape boys into men. Does he have an ego? Of course -- he will be the first to tell you that there have been times in his life that it got the better of him. He loves the game and I think he wants to get away from the "lights" and just coach the game. It's not about the money (never was -- he could have gone to a college I'm sure).

By the way, he's not always had "the best athlete on the block". He's had his share, but he has made a lot of mediocre talent look good as well. Good coaching will do that . . .

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fan6 @ Apr 17 2007 - 04:28 PM) 826439628[/snapback]A lot of you guys are clearly basing your opinions of Coach Flatt on what you read and on what you want to believe --it's so much better if he's "Darth Vader the Eevil Stealer of Public School Talent".

I hadn't heard about the Eagelville job but it wouldn't surprize me. I had the opportunity to talk to him a couple of months ago and he expressed a real desire to go to a smaller rural school and be involved in developing a program again. What many of you don't seem to get is that he loves to coach. More than that, he loves to shape boys into men. Does he have an ego? Of course -- he will be the first to tell you that there have been times in his life that it got the better of him. He loves the game and I think he wants to get away from the "lights" and just coach the game. It's not about the money (never was -- he could have gone to a college I'm sure).

By the way, he's not always had "the best athlete on the block". He's had his share, but he has made a lot of mediocre talent look good as well. Good coaching will do that . . .

Never said he was not a great Coach, just wondering about the whys and how this came about. It will be interesting for teams like Jo Burns, Forrest and Cascade though. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Like I said before if it is the way you describe it, it will be great for Eagleville and I am all for it. If it is other wise though I will be one of the most vocal ones on here screaming about it also. I don't know Coach Flatt and will give him the benefit of the doubt. I do KNOW Coach S and think highly of him and what he is trying to do at Eagleville.

This could be a great thing for everyone involved. Gonna make watching Eagleville very interesting this year also.

QUOTE(fan6 @ Apr 17 2007 - 05:28 PM) 826439628[/snapback]A lot of you guys are clearly basing your opinions of Coach Flatt on what you read and on what you want to believe --it's so much better if he's "Darth Vader the Eevil Stealer of Public School Talent".

Interesting points, especially the last one. I always noticed that his teams didn't get a lot of offside penalties at bad times. That's not talent or recruiting, that's discipline.

It's pity they closed his alma mater, Cumberland, at about the same time he was getting ready to take his first job.

QUOTE(canton @ Apr 19 2007 - 11:20 PM) 826441577[/snapback]I find it interesting that Flatt would even consider another coaching position. I thought he was retiring. This leads me to believe that he was forced out at BA. Doesn't that speak volumes.

He was not foced out at BA. As I said, he loves to coach but I think he felt he had run his course at BA. He told me he wanted to find a small more rural school and help. I don't think he really wants a head coaching job (although we all have ego's . . .) -- I think he will be content to work with a head coach and help a team.

QUOTE(fan6 @ Apr 20 2007 - 08:58 AM) 826441710[/snapback]He was not foced out at BA. As I said, he loves to coach but I think he felt he had run his course at BA. He told me he wanted to find a small more rural school and help. I don't think he really wants a head coaching job (although we all have ego's . . .) -- I think he will be content to work with a head coach and help a team.

It seems to be a logical move for him. Very hard to just stop doing what you have a passion for.

Listen carefully, Carlton Flatt is only as good as his talent. There is nothing ingenious about his I formation offense and his 50 defense. Why do you run an I formation? Because you have superior talent. Anybody that tries to run the I without a big O-line will get beat. Same deal with the 5-3 and man coverage. What did he do in his big comeback?

Flatt is not going to bring instant wins to Eagleville unless he brings instant talent...........which is possible.........

I hate to bust his EGO, but there are many many coaches around the state that would have won with the talent HE assembled in the 1990's.

Barry Switzer is proof of that with his SuperBowl in Dallas, who wouldn't have won a SB with what JJ assembled before he was fired. Furthermore, as those people left Dallas, Switzer was exposed for what he is.

Flatt will be exposed as well.

QUOTE(Dr. Justice @ Apr 24 2007 - 11:55 AM) 826444158[/snapback]Listen carefully, Carlton Flatt is only as good as his talent. There is nothing ingenious about his I formation offense and his 50 defense. Why do you run an I formation? Because you have superior talent. Anybody that tries to run the I without a big O-line will get beat. Same deal with the 5-3 and man coverage. What did he do in his big comeback?

Flatt is not going to bring instant wins to Eagleville unless he brings instant talent...........which is possible.........

I hate to bust his EGO, but there are many many coaches around the state that would have won with the talent HE assembled in the 1990's.

Barry Switzer is proof of that with his SuperBowl in Dallas, who wouldn't have won a SB with what JJ assembled before he was fired. Furthermore, as those people left Dallas, Switzer was exposed for what he is.

Flatt will be exposed as well.

I'm listening carefully . . . just not hearing anything relevant.

No one has said that Flatt is the "Greatest Coach" ever -- just that he is a good coach (which his record clearly supports). Comparing the Dallas Cowboys to a high school team would get my vote as the definition of the phrase "comparing apples and oranges". Flatt has had some talent -- no one would argue that. But it has come at a few key places -- not accross the board. The majority of his players are average talent high school boys who never play a down after thier Senior seasons. What they do have though is disipline and a good understanding of thier jobs as football players -- which by the way are "coached" skills. I haven't seen anyone claiming that Flatt will bring "instant wins" to Eagleville but he will bring 35+ years of coaching experience and a pretty good system for taking average/above average atheletes and making them better. You don't have to be "ingenious" to be a good coach.

You are right -- he will be exposed . . . as a coach who can help teach and lead young men.

. . . and if the EGO were really that big a thing, would he sign on as an assistant at Eagleville?

QUOTE(fan6 @ Apr 24 2007 - 03:06 PM) 826444280[/snapback]I'm listening carefully . . . just not hearing anything relevant.

No one has said that Flatt is the "Greatest Coach" ever -- just that he is a good coach (which his record clearly supports). Comparing the Dallas Cowboys to a high school team would get my vote as the definition of the phrase "comparing apples and oranges". Flatt has had some talent -- no one would argue that. But it has come at a few key places -- not accross the board. The majority of his players are average talent high school boys who never play a down after thier Senior seasons. What they do have though is disipline and a good understanding of thier jobs as football players -- which by the way are "coached" skills. I haven't seen anyone claiming that Flatt will bring "instant wins" to Eagleville but he will bring 35+ years of coaching experience and a pretty good system for taking average/above average atheletes and making them better. You don't have to be "ingenious" to be a good coach.

You are right -- he will be exposed . . . as a coach who can help teach and lead young men.

. . . and if the EGO were really that big a thing, would he sign on as an assistant at Eagleville?

Good point about the ego.Why would he go to a place like Eagleville? The man has to be a coach.Too many state titles not to be considered that.I wish him luck!