Ties in Soccer

ETSU_BucSoccerFan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BlackmanSoccerDad @ Apr 16 2007 - 03:50 PM) 826438709[/snapback]I think soccer would benefit in a rule change of having no ties. Just liket he NHL, could do two 5 minute overtime, then go directly to PK's. I think it would be exciting, especailly in High School Soccer. It would give an opportunity for goal keepers and teams to practice PK's. Thoughts?

Yes no more ties

If it is not broken dont fix it, the game has been played for a long time with wins, losses and ties. The MLS tired to implement shootouts during the early 90s and that never lasted. If two teams have played an equal match then it should be a tie, pk shootouts a lot of the time give a false result with a lot of international teams sitting deep and playing for the pk shootout at the end of the game.

QUOTE(Welshdragon @ Apr 16 2007 - 03:17 PM) 826438726[/snapback]If it is not broken dont fix it, the game has been played for a long time with wins, losses and ties. The MLS tired to implement shootouts during the early 90s and that never lasted. If two teams have played an equal match then it should be a tie, pk shootouts a lot of the time give a false result with a lot of international teams sitting deep and playing for the pk shootout at the end of the game.

I agree. All the way to a shootout distorts the quality of game played. I am afraid of any system that could place a target on a starting keeper toward the end of regulation. Saw a keeper taken out in a tied district game with less than 8 to play in regulation. Flagrant knee to the head as the keeper covered the ball. And we know how good and consistent reffing in in Middle TN. I wouldn't be opposed to an additional 2) 5 or 10 min OT. But if it is still tied after that its a tie. My fear is that if it is monkeyed with, we will end up with something like the NFL which does not give both teams the same opportunity.

soccer around the world has always and will always have ties. it is a fitting end to a courgeous fight between two teams. having overtime and shootouts would ruin a good defensive or offensive battle. soccer is different then other sports, seeing that the average game in highschool soccer has no more than a 1 or 2 point difference. the way it is now works, soccer has wins and has losses and should always have ties.

i for one am totally against pk's.

pk's have nothing to do with the game at all, except for who has the most lucky shots and whose goalkeeper guesses right.

how can a hard fought battle of 90 minutes,more if there are overtime periods,be put on the hands of 5 people from each team and the goalkeeper, when it is a team sport that is supposed to be played on the field, not in the 18 with no defenders at all.

I think that pk's should be gotten rid of entirely, it shows no consistency with the game of soccer.

i would rather have a 2-on 1 starting at midfield then a shoot-out, at least that is more realistic to the game

the game has been played long enough with ties and ties a apart of the game. Either your team didnt get the job done or the other team didnt get the job done i dont think we should be giving teams a second chance just because we dont want a winner. It puts more pressure on the players to win in a certain amount of time because there is no extra time afterwards.

I'd rather have a tie than a loss. So I guess it can be good and bad. If your team plays terrible but is lucky enough to get a tie then they should be happy, but if you play amazing and dominate the game in every way and come away with a tie then you should be upset.

So I'll say that you might as well keep them. The only time when you shouldn't end in a tie is in a tournament situation and thats where the PKs come in. So there is no need to get rid of them.

QUOTE(Laydown @ Apr 16 2007 - 07:52 PM) 826438936[/snapback]I believe that time should be added to every game in a tie. 0-0 ties make for a very boring day so hopefully more time could give a team a goal.

in my opinion the fun of the game doesn’t depend on the score but on the type of play. if its two teams that don’t really play well then yes its a boring game but if its a game like the CSAS CCS game then the games aren’t boring. being a keeper I feel pks are 30% ability and 70% chance. y would u want a score that isn’t a true representation of the game played?

QUOTE(CREE @ Apr 16 2007 - 09:44 PM) 826439021[/snapback]In GA, ties are broken if the match is played between two "region" teams. That would allow TN to end some ties. Just a thought.

I also believe that ties would be beneficial for district/region games because they would improve the seeding for the district/region tournaments. In the EPL ties don't hurt a team as much because their season has 38 games to decide the priemiership. Their are only 5 or 6 teams in each district how could that hurt.

Probably at the end of regulation each team should pull one player off the field every 3 minutes until the game has been decided. Or at the end of 80 minutes (h.s.), we could replace the regulation-size goals with goals that are 50% larger. Or we could allow coaches and school administrators who are present to participate during overtime play....

I think ties are fine. Two soccer teams who have played to even at the end of 80 minutes should record a tie, unless a winner is necessary to determine the advancing team.