DNJ?.....

Winners Inc

Ok... I'm not all about making sure every high school player is "glorified" through being in the headlines in the paper, but this is the last year that many of these seniors will have the chance to be included in something huge in their lives. It's sad that most of them will walk away from their senior year without one article in the paper about them or their team's SUCCESS. Yes, that's right, some teams in this district have success other than Oakland. I'm not taking anything away from Oakland. In fact, not even they get a lot of publicity. But I can't recall one time that Siegel or Blackman, who are two very good teams in this district, had stories in the paper about phenomenal games, such as the Siegel/Blackman game at Siegel, or the amazing Siegel/Cookeville comeback in the seventh inning this past Tuesday. Stories like that belong in the paper. Reading about the greatest game in the world in the greatest town in the world where the greatest coaches and players in high school baseball in the world are makes everyone in Murfreesboro a little more excited about what's going on in these kids' lives as they prosper in athletics. I don't guess there's anything to do now. I mean, we're almost done with the season. I just miss the good ole days when I could go to the market on the corner and pick up a $.50 paper and read about the progress the players and teams are making in this town.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Winners Inc @ Apr 27 2007 - 11:26 AM) 826446820[/snapback]Ok... I'm not all about making sure every high school player is "glorified" through being in the headlines in the paper, but this is the last year that many of these seniors will have the chance to be included in something huge in their lives. It's sad that most of them will walk away from their senior year without one article in the paper about them or their team's SUCCESS. Yes, that's right, some teams in this district have success other than Oakland. I'm not taking anything away from Oakland. In fact, not even they get a lot of publicity. But I can't recall one time that Siegel or Blackman, who are two very good teams in this district, had stories in the paper about phenomenal games, such as the Siegel/Blackman game at Siegel, or the amazing Siegel/Cookeville comeback in the seventh inning this past Tuesday. Stories like that belong in the paper. Reading about the greatest game in the world in the greatest town in the world where the greatest coaches and players in high school baseball in the world are makes everyone in Murfreesboro a little more excited about what's going on in these kids' lives as they prosper in athletics. I don't guess there's anything to do now. I mean, we're almost done with the season. I just miss the good ole days when I could go to the market on the corner and pick up a $.50 paper and read about the progress the players and teams are making in this town.

From an Oakland guy......I AGREE 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've sent emails to EVERYONE in the sports dept. at the DNJ stating that their entire prep coverage has been terrible.

I suggest you do the same!!!

Check out the high school sports section on their site and then tell me what you think /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> its embarrassing!!!!!!!

Reprinting again with permission from me to me:

First sent to the DNJ May 2, 2006 as a letter to the editor that never was published for some reason?

Dear Editor/Publisher,

As several writers have eloquently noted, our local paper’s quality and timeliness has seemed to diminish in the past several weeks.

I understand my local paper no longer having its own printing press is a major factor in this change. A local paper not having its

own printing press just amazes me. Dutton Peabody, the Editor of the Shinbone Star, had his own printing press!

With apologies in advance to my GREAT English teacher at Smyrna High School, Mrs. Tyler, please allow me to ‘conjugate the noun’

NewsPaper. It contains the adjective NEWS and the noun PAPER. Let’s take a closer look at that adjective and noun. First, the

adjective NEWS. With what seems to be a deadline now of around 8:00pm or so, the PAPER that arrives the next morning seems to be

lacking a lot of NEWS (and Sports for that matter – a lot of games START around 7:00pm or so…) If a NEWS story takes place on a

Monday around 8:30pm or so (a gunfight in a local bar, a large zeppelin crashing into our courthouse or a cholera outbreak) it

won’t be in our local paper’s headlines until Wednesday morning. (At least our local paper will never have a “Dewey Wins! headline.)

As a ‘workaround’, it seems the DNJ’s ‘answer’ is to put ‘late news and sports’ on their web-page. That gets us to the noun PAPER.

Isn’t that what you get in your driveway each morning or pick up to read on your way to the office? A newsPAPER? And don’t you

make that purchase to read things like what happened the night before or how M.T.S.U. or your local high school (years ago,

even little league) team did the night before?

May I suggest our local paper goes back to an afternoon edition? That may give our great local writers a chance to get their work

into our local paper in a timely manner. Or better yet, get them a printing press so they can see their fine work on the media it

is intended for, PAPER. (I don’t think the price of our local paper went down with all the savings it may be trying to accomplish

by not having their own printing press?)

David Limbaugh

QUOTE(Winners Inc @ Apr 27 2007 - 11:26 AM) 826446820[/snapback]Ok... I'm not all about making sure every high school player is "glorified" through being in the headlines in the paper, but this is the last year that many of these seniors will have the chance to be included in something huge in their lives. It's sad that most of them will walk away from their senior year without one article in the paper about them or their team's SUCCESS. Yes, that's right, some teams in this district have success other than Oakland. I'm not taking anything away from Oakland. In fact, not even they get a lot of publicity. But I can't recall one time that Siegel or Blackman, who are two very good teams in this district, had stories in the paper about phenomenal games, such as the Siegel/Blackman game at Siegel, or the amazing Siegel/Cookeville comeback in the seventh inning this past Tuesday. Stories like that belong in the paper. Reading about the greatest game in the world in the greatest town in the world where the greatest coaches and players in high school baseball in the world are makes everyone in Murfreesboro a little more excited about what's going on in these kids' lives as they prosper in athletics. I don't guess there's anything to do now. I mean, we're almost done with the season. I just miss the good ole days when I could go to the market on the corner and pick up a $.50 paper and read about the progress the players and teams are making in this town.

I agree with it all, I can remember when I was in high school there was more sports and school coverage. We would complain because the murfreesboro schools got more publicity than the schools on the other end of the county, but you can't find any spring sports at all hardly. Now football seems to get more and you might find a M'boro basketball score or highlights every now and then. What about the spring sports?

QUOTE(bleednpurple&gold @ Apr 27 2007 - 01:53 PM) 826446978[/snapback]I agree with it all, I can remember when I was in high school there was more sports and school coverage. We would complain because the murfreesboro schools got more publicity than the schools on the other end of the county, but you can't find any spring sports at all hardly. Now football seems to get more and you might find a M'boro basketball score or highlights every now and then. What about the spring sports?

Agree, like how many Mock Draft stories do we need to read for crying out loud? Here in Nashville, the City Paper started doing more HS sports but they have now regressed to more Titans, Preds, Vandy and other colleges. They do have a nice story today about the Franklin/Overton game last night but that is one of the few stories this week involving HS sports.

The Tennessean has started the corner page summary every day about HS this year and that is a big improvement. They need to do alittle more.

Times are changing in Murfreesboro with you now being nothing more than a suburb of Nashville and it's not for the best. The Daily News Journal is owned by Gannett Corp. and they are a huge corporation with little if any local people in the decision making corporate role. They feel that it is in their best interest to have the paper printed in a central location like they do with most of their news publications. Don't be shocked if you loose your local paper in the next few years and they try to force you to take the TENNESSEAN. Look at how poorly the TENNESSEAN covers high school sports and that is what you have to look forward to. The problem is that while the population grows in the United State fewer people than ever read the newspaper on a daily basis.

QUOTE(cbg @ Apr 27 2007 - 02:46 PM) 826447018[/snapback]Times are changing in Murfreesboro with you now being nothing more than a suburb of Nashville and it's not for the best. The Daily News Journal is owned by Gannett Corp. and they are a huge corporation with little if any local people in the decision making corporate role. They feel that it is in their best interest to have the paper printed in a central location like they do with most of their news publications. Don't be shocked if you loose your local paper in the next few years and they try to force you to take the TENNESSEAN. Look at how poorly the TENNESSEAN covers high school sports and that is what you have to look forward to. The problem is that while the population grows in the United State fewer people than ever read the newspaper on a daily basis.

that is ridiculous... one of the top ten fastest growing counties in america is gonna lose their local newspaper

QUOTE(Winners Inc @ Apr 27 2007 - 02:50 PM) 826447020[/snapback]that is ridiculous... one of the top ten fastest growing counties in america is gonna lose their local newspaper

I have been the business most of my life and know how Gannett operates. I hope it is not true but don't be shocked.

I don't know who else played on Wednesday evening ... but Smyrna hosted Beech for the lead in 9AAA and the DNJ was nowhere in site. One of the coaches had to call in the score and highlights. PITIFUL!! I agree with Magoo, all you have to do is look at the online local high school page and see they are a little slow in thier reporting. It is still about basketball! Now that I think about it the only pictures I have seen of Smyrna baseball in the DNJ this year were Sonny's head shots from football.

QUOTE(utcgolf @ Apr 27 2007 - 03:52 PM) 826447063[/snapback]I don't know who else played on Wednesday evening ... but Smyrna hosted Beech for the lead in 9AAA and the DNJ was nowhere in site. One of the coaches had to call in the score and highlights. PITIFUL!! I agree with Magoo, all you have to do is look at the online local high school page and see they are a little slow in thier reporting. It is still about basketball! Now that I think about it the only pictures I have seen of Smyrna baseball in the DNJ this year were Sonny's head shots from football.

Check out the pictures... they have pictures from 2 Rutherford county powerhouses......Maplewood and Hunters Lane!!!!!!!! and all the pictures are football pictures.....SAD SAD SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone thought about approaching their local papers and volunteering to do some freelance articles?

I know that I have been to every single baseball game DB played this year and I could not write an article I could at least take enough information to a newspaper staff sports writer that he could turn it into a worthwhile article on each game.

Just a thought, but I am willing to bet every High School in this state has a couple fans that do not miss a single game for their respective sports both home an away games.

good idea but judging by the arrogance that seems to ooze from a few of the prep guys I doubt it would work!!! Maybe someone will try that. I cant because it would involve sitting still!!!! Maybe i should take a mini recorder and record my thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />