Hillsboro vs. Hoover scrimmage!

Jackson Central Merry was a solid team in 5A. Going by your alls logic they should dominate 4A since 4A is so weak. Especially since they were in big bad 5A.

Red Bank won 5A in 2000. The next year they go to 4A and get whipped by Maryville. Red Bank hasn't won a championship in 4A.

Brentwood Academy won 2 5A Titles in a row in 1995-96. Brentwood Academy was in 4A in 1993-94 and didn't win a single title.

Clinton used to make the playoffs every year when they were in 5A. Now they struggle in 4A.

South Doyle made the playoffs in 5A. Now they struggle in 4A.

Melrose was the most dominant 3A team in the state in the late 90s. Since moving up to 4A they haven't won a championship.

William Blount beat Dobyns Bennett and they should have beaten Ooltewah. Ooltewah lost a close game to Smyrna in the semifinals.Maryville killed William Blount. The game was never close. It could have been much worse but Quarles let up.William Blounts other losses were close losses.

Farragut made the quarterfinals in 5A before losing to Ooltewah. Farragut lost to Central and Powell.

I can't wait to see Maryville go to 5A and win a title. As long as Quarles and staff stay at Maryville it will happen.

I crack up at these guys who act like in 5A you play the Tennessee Titans,New England Patriots and the Green Bay Packers while in 4A you play the Knoxville Summit. While 5A is better it isn't my much. In matter of fact 4A is better in East Tennessee.

Alcoa was good enough the last 2 years to beat Big Bad Private School McCallie. Maryville beat Alcoa last season without their all state running back,starting outside linebacker and another key player.The previous years Maryville whipped Alcoa badly.

Ridgeway wins a 3A Title. They go to 4A and get killed every year by Melrose. They go to 5A and win their region every year. In matter of fact they go 9-0-1 and 10-0 those years.

Maryville can compete with any team any time. In matter of fact I believe no one in the state would have beaten Maryville in 1998,2002,2005 and 2006. There is no team in the state with a better coaching staff.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(REBELRON @ May 4 2007 - 03:06 PM) 826451818[/snapback]Jackson Central Merry was a solid team in 5A. Going by your alls logic they should dominate 4A since 4A is so weak. Especially since they were in big bad 5A.

Red Bank won 5A in 2000. The next year they go to 4A and get whipped by Maryville. Red Bank hasn't won a championship in 4A.

Brentwood Academy won 2 5A Titles in a row in 1995-96. Brentwood Academy was in 4A in 1993-94 and didn't win a single title.

Clinton used to make the playoffs every year when they were in 5A. Now they struggle in 4A.

Melrose was the most dominant 3A team in the state in the late 90s. Since moving up to 4A they haven't won a championship.

William Blount beat Dobyns Bennett and they should have beaten Ooltewah. Ooltewah lost a close game to Smyrna in the semifinals.Maryville killed William Blount. The game was never close. It could have been much worse but Quarles let up.William Blounts other losses were close losses.

Farragut made the quarterfinals in 5A before losing to Ooltewah. Farragut lost to Central and Powell.

I can't wait to see Maryville go to 5A and win a title. As long as Quarles and staff stay at Maryville it will happen.

I crack up at these guys who act like in 5A you play the Tennessee Titans,New England Patriots and the Green Bay Packers while in 4A you play the Knoxville Summit. While 5A is better it isn't my much. In matter of fact 4A is better in East Tennessee.

Alcoa was good enough the last 2 years to beat Big Bad Private School McCallie. Maryville beat Alcoa last season without their all state running back,starting outside linebacker and another key player.The previous years Maryville whipped Alcoa badly.

Ridgeway wins a 3A Title. They go to 4A and get killed every year by Melrose. They go to 5A and win their region every year. In matter of fact they go 9-0-1 and 10-0 those years.

Maryville can compete with any team any time. In matter of fact I believe no one in the state would have beaten Maryville in 1998,2002,2005 and 2006. There is no team in the state with a better coaching staff.

You make very good points.........and I agree with most. The top teams in 4A and an Alcoa can compete with anyone; it is that thick in between schedule that makes 5A a harder road to travel. All have missed the point, when there was only 3 classes it was a much tougher existence................7 Champions is simply more than 3 Champions.

Who would have won last year -BA or Smyrna or Maryville? I think it would have been either BA or Maryville THUS Smyrna was not even in the game.......opinions!!

ole!!

QUOTE(coachfoozeball @ May 4 2007 - 09:57 AM) 826451612[/snapback]4A is the most watered down with all of the classifications. Maryville fans will get on here and go nuts. They will post how 4A had a better record against 5A last year, but it is true. Most 4A schools couldn't compete each week (week after week) in 5A. They can beat one on any given Friday, but doing it every week they can not. Look at Middle TN regions. Check the teams that move down and up in classifications and see how their records get better in 4A

To clarify, 4A and 5A tied at 40-40 in 2006 (link). As pointed out in a post from late last year, in those matchups and from a pure W-L perspective, based on the composite records of those 4A and 5A teams playing in those 80 games, better 4A teams generally were beating worse 5A teams, and worse 5A teams were beating better 4A teams.

Nevertheless, as indicated by REBELRON and others, some non-5A programs - Maryville and Alcoa primarily - are classification-neutral; they will excel in any classification. But I would agree that 5A is probably tougher - but not by a large margin - and it should be based on the concept of "classification". Still, the fact of the matter is we should have fewer DI classes.

QUOTE(cowboys @ May 4 2007 - 09:43 AM) 826451597[/snapback]Lets call a spade a spade. It is really cool all the stuff Blade has them doing. And Hillsboro is very talented. But the overall competition in 4A is not up to the other divisions. There are no privates to compete with which is a plus. There are only 3 maybe 4 teams that are good in 4A every year. Maryville, Hillsboro and accasionally Melrose. If anyone thinks Maryville would have won as many championships over the same span in 5A then they are nuts. Again understand Hillsboro and MAryville will face each other again in Murfreesboro in 07 the primary reason being the lack of competition in 4A.

sorry charlie but maryville is the best. i know you hate maryville because they are so good. maryville beat cleveland while you were there. page has never done anything.william blount hasn't either.maryville is a machine and a dynasty. accept it.

QUOTE(feliznavidad @ May 4 2007 - 03:20 PM) 826451830[/snapback]You make very good points.........and I agree with most. The top teams in 4A and an Alcoa can compete with anyone; it is that thick in between schedule that makes 5A a harder road to travel. All have missed the point, when there was only 3 classes it was a much tougher existence................7 Champions is simply more than 3 Champions.

Who would have won last year -BA or Smyrna or Maryville? I think it would have been either BA or Maryville THUS Smyrna was not even in the game.......opinions!!

ole!!

you cant move down in classification

you can move up

maryville is free to move up anytime they want and start winning all those 5a titles

my bet is they won't and will ----------------------------yawn continue to dominate a 3or 4 team class

5a is the highest level of fottball in tennessee and

SMYRNA BULLDOGS 2006 5A 5A 5A 5A STATE CHAMIONS

DEAL WITH IT

QUOTE(ReBeLfAnAtIc @ May 5 2007 - 12:22 AM) 826452258[/snapback]sorry charlie but maryville is the best. i know you hate maryville because they are so good. maryville beat cleveland while you were there. page has never done anything.william blount hasn't either.maryville is a machine and a dynasty. accept it.

Why didn't Maryville drop one of those sorry local teams on their schedule then?

Yall talk about how big and bad yall are but everytime a great team calls Maryville out, they make excuses about how their schedule is full and they don't wanna give up the crosstown games which aren't even games because the other teams are terrible.

You say you can beat anyone in the state, right? Well than PROVE IT.

Heritage may be struggling now. But! Alcoa is the 3 time defending 2A State champ. William Blount has a good team. William Blount beat Dobyns Bennett in the playoffs. William Blount should have beaten Ooltewah. As a Smyrna fan you saw how good Ooltewah was. I don't want Maryville to drop county games. I wish Maryville could drop South Doyle and Lenoir City. Unfortunatly those are region games. I would love to see Maryville play other powerhouse teams.

QUOTE(rollredroll @ May 4 2007 - 05:16 PM) 826451910[/snapback]To clarify, 4A and 5A tied at 40-40 in 2006 (link). As pointed out in a post from late last year, in those matchups and from a pure W-L perspective, based on the composite records of those 4A and 5A teams playing in those 80 games, better 4A teams generally were beating worse 5A teams, and worse 5A teams were beating better 4A teams.

Nevertheless, as indicated by REBELRON and others, some non-5A programs - Maryville and Alcoa primarily - are classification-neutral; they will excel in any classification. But I would agree that 5A is probably tougher - but not by a large margin - and it should be based on the concept of "classification". Still, the fact of the matter is we should have fewer DI classes.

This is a good post!! This is what I was refering to. I told you guys that the Maryville people would go crazy. Check the stats, the majority of the teams that tweeter between classifications do better once they move down.. I also agree with one of the other posters who said that athletes come and go in most programs in cycles. That helps with winning and losing. Unless you are a magnet school and you can get them to come to you!

QUOTE(Drewcephus @ May 4 2007 - 11:22 AM) 826451644[/snapback]Howdy Foozeball! It has been a while since we last conversed. As I agree with much of what you say, I couldn't help but add to the comments since you mentioned HC. In recent history (2000's) HC did take beatings from the best in 5A (Franklin, Ravenwood, etc.). But prior to that, in our up years we most certainly competed with a semi loss to Gallatin and one other quarter final appearance in 5A. But you are very accurate in saying that going down to 4A has been a large improvement for us.

I only mentioned Henry Co. because I did some research of Middle Tennessee regions. They are one, just like the others that I mentioned, that benefitted by moving down to 4A. I was not ripping on your school in anyway. I was only stating the facts. I didn't realize that Henry Co. went to the semi's in the old system. Who was the coach then? In the 5 classification system, Henry Co. has benefitted by moving down just like Northeast was hurt by moving up. I was really talking about Hillsboro in this thread, I just mentioned HC because of the other schools that it worked or hurt also.

QUOTE(REBELRON @ May 4 2007 - 03:06 PM) 826451818[/snapback]Jackson Central Merry was a solid team in 5A. Going by your alls logic they should dominate 4A since 4A is so weak. Especially since they were in big bad 5A.

I agree Maryville can compete with anyone!!! I also agree Alcoa is a different bread also!! I'm just agreeing with what was said. The road to the 5A is tougher than a road in 4A to the state championship. Rebelron, I would say that 4A may be tougher in east TN than 5A (this probably has something to do with population in that area), but in Middle and West 5A is much tougher than 4A!

Some of your points make no sense. We are all agreeing that Maryville is tough and GOOD!!! The reason Red Bank, Melrose, Hillsboro haven't won a champ in 4A is Maryville (That is it!!) The overall competition is watered down after those teams!!

QUOTE(coachfoozeball @ May 7 2007 - 11:46 AM) 826453448[/snapback]Rebelron, I would say that 4A may be tougher in east TN than 5A (this probably has something to do with population in that area), but in Middle and West 5A is much tougher than 4A!

Of the Three Grand Divisions of Tennessee, East being the part of the state in the Eastern Time Zone, West being the part of the state west of the TN river where it crosses the state the 2nd time, and Middle being the part between the East and West. East Tennessee has the highest population. Look it up.