Private-vs-Public schools

tdodls

QUOTE(FCSprideatUT @ May 27 2007 - 11:28 AM) 826468009[/snapback]Where me and you differ greatly is our oppinion of the number of schools involved.

I feel like that there is a very small percentage of schools BOTH public and private that care WAY to much about winning and go out looking for players to make that happen.

If BOTH public and private had won as many championships in several different sports, then I would agree with that statement.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ May 27 2007 - 03:24 PM) 826468128[/snapback]If BOTH public and private had won as many championships in several different sports, then I would agree with that statement.

This could possibly open a huge can of worms, but what sports do you thnk athleticism shows up most in? My opinion is that basketball and track and field is where pure athleticism shows up the most. Probably track and field more than basketball. I'm not saying those sports don't require specific skills but I am saying that speed, quickness, explosiveness, endurance and strength is far more important in those sports than in "skill-specific" sports like golf, tennis, baseball or softball.

Having said that, how many private schools have won state championships in track and field at either D-1 level (A-AA or AAA)? I don't know the answer to the question, but I think public schools have generally dominated those sports at the "state tournament" level. (Brainerd doubled up the team points in boys' track this year -- another public school, Austin-East.) One exception is Temple in basketball and I think that can be explained in one word -- Skogen.

My anecdotal observation is that the private schools do well in "skill-specific" or "strategic" oriented sports as compared to the sports that require pure athleticism. I'm not sure if this is coaching, emphasis, dedication, opportunity or what. What I do beleive is that kids are kids no matter where they are from. If given an opportunity, a kid from an inner city or rural area has the capacity to learn specific skills as well as a suburban kid who has been to coaches and trainers since he or she was six years old. If they are not given that opportunity to learn and polish those skills, they are going to have a hard time competing, no matter how "athletic" (run, jump, etc.) they may be.

All of you tend to forget that this is not a match that begins evenly in the first place. Out of 111 schools in A baseball/softball, 90 are public and 21 are private. The success those 21 have does not happen without advantages in those 21 schools. Split 'em.

QUOTE(Indian @ May 27 2007 - 01:28 PM) 826468030[/snapback]I've asked this before but never got a good response. Unless a Baylor or Brentwood Academy is specifically targeting athletes for scholarships or aid, why do they have an advantage over Boyd-Buchanan or Goodpasture on the playing fields and courts?

Remember, we weren't the ones who voted the big preps out...you guys were. And we all know that Brentwood and some other big preps (not Baylor) were caught with their hands in the cookie jar...which was part of what precipitated DII.

But when they were kicked out it was the publics who proclaimed that the ability to give financial aid to many athletes was an insurmountable advantage...that was the reason given for the formation of DII. You can't have your cake and eat it too...either it was a huge advantage, in which case they have the same advantage over the small privates, or it was not, in which case you need to all vote them back into DI.

And the big preps DO specifically target good athletes, and good academicians, and good speakers, etc. The reason that they do is that their reputation is built on being better than the other schools...it is why they can charge such huge tuitions and why boarders come to them from all over the country. If your school hangs on being superior in every way, you bet you target the best of everything when you admit kids. That is why it is hard to get into the big preps...selective admission assures that they only get the really good ones. But that is their goal...their reason for being.

Not so with the religious privates. We are into rescue the perishing, so we don't have any reason to only target elite kids. In fact, our student populations tend to reflect our communities in most ways, including our kids' IQ ranges and the % of learning disablities (We get kids from Baylor and McCallie all the time who have ADHD or some figure-ground disorder and can't keep up there). Our kids are admitted as long as they can pass a basic skills test. We also hold tuition down to a bare minimum so that as many kids as possible can attend. We DONT have the money, we DONT have the elite athletes, we DONT have selective admissions. We simply are a completely different kind of school with a completely different mission. I've explained this to you before Indian...

That is why we elected to stay DI in the first place...our schools are much more like the 1 and 2a rural public schools that we play than we are like the big preps. People in cities seek us out because of our mission, and our sense of community, and our smaller size, not because we have kids going to Harvard and Yale OR because we are sending kids to DI schools for athletics...if they want those kinds of possibilities then they send their kids to the big preps. If they want their kids to hear about Jesus in school then they send them to us. If they want their kids to have opportunities to win Westinghouse Science Awards and make perfect scores on the SAT...big preps. If they want them to have several chances a year to go to Honduras or City of Children in Mexico or to New Orleans to do service/mission work...us. About the only similarity between the religious privates and the preps is that some schools in both groups require uniforms...

They also happen to be much larger than most of us...

QUOTE(RiverCityRage @ May 27 2007 - 03:15 PM) 826468107[/snapback]HOW ABOUT DIVISION II LEVEL A ( BAYLOR, BRENTWOOD, CBHS)

B ( USJ , FRIENDSHIP & JACKSON CHRISTIAN)

THEY ALL RECRUIT & ENCOURAGE GOOD PLAYERS TO COME TO THERE SCHOOL. THATS COOL , BUT PUBLIC SCHOOL HAVE TO PLAY ATHLETES IN THEIR COMMUNITY.

I believe I know you. You still coaching the Rage ?

QUOTE(Baldcoach @ May 31 2007 - 10:49 PM) 826469947[/snapback]Not so with the religious privates. We are into rescue the perishing, so we don't have any reason to only target elite kids. In fact, our student populations tend to reflect our communities in most ways, including our kids' IQ ranges and the % of learning disablities (We get kids from Baylor and McCallie all the time who have ADHD or some figure-ground disorder and can't keep up there). Our kids are admitted as long as they can pass a basic skills test. We also hold tuition down to a bare minimum so that as many kids as possible can attend. We DONT have the money, we DONT have the elite athletes, we DONT have selective admissions. We simply are a completely different kind of school with a completely different mission. I've explained this to you before Indian...

Hey BC, I'm not anti-private by any means but my kids went to Boyd and the kids there do not not reflect the public school population. A Baylor/McCallie kid who can't take the workload and comes to Boyd is by no means learning disabled. Boyd is by no means a McCallie type school but the kids that go there have advantages over the majority of kids at public schools. I've seen both sides.

That is why we elected to stay DI in the first place...our schools are much more like the 1 and 2a rural public schools that we play than we are like the big preps. People in cities seek us out because of our mission, and our sense of community, and our smaller size,

This is true. My kids went to Boyd because it felt as close to the atmosphere at SP as I could find in a private school. It was just too far (literally) and being so far distance-wise it just didn't have the community closeness we have at SP

QUOTE(FCSprideatUT @ May 27 2007 - 01:31 PM) 826468088[/snapback]The recruiting both of those schools practice is not athletic recruiting in any way. So you want to know why they are being forced to play in DII when they are not athletically recruiting. The answer is that TSSAA was getting alot of pressure to force those schools to stop it. The TSSAA offered them a choice, they could either continue recruiting students (not players) and they would play with other schools of like minds, OR they could stop recruiting students (not players) and they would be allowed to play with other schools. Some chose to keep recruiting students (not players) and some others decided not to.

Basically it became very hard for the TSSAA to try and tell other schools that BA for instance was on the same playing field when they could recruit (students not players). Just the word recruiting automatically makes people think players.

Oh yeah, for those of you who will ask why the TSSAA doesn't just respond to the same pressure they are gettting to kick out private schools i have a question. Can anyone think of a choice that the TSSAA could give private schools?? a simple "you do this and you can stay in DI, or not do this and you have to go to DII". Because right now all i hear from anyone is "kick them out for no reason other than them being a private school, and there is no possible way for them to stay in DI even if they want too.

yes stay D1 but play AAA sports that is fair why have the same talent level as AAA and play AA makes no sense play the best if you are the best why play at a level that is below you that is the argument

QUOTE(Baldcoach @ May 31 2007 - 10:49 PM) 826469947[/snapback]Remember, we weren't the ones who voted the big preps out...you guys were. And we all know that Brentwood and some other big preps (not Baylor) were caught with their hands in the cookie jar...which was part of what precipitated DII.

But when they were kicked out it was the publics who proclaimed that the ability to give financial aid to many athletes was an insurmountable advantage...that was the reason given for the formation of DII. You can't have your cake and eat it too...either it was a huge advantage, in which case they have the same advantage over the small privates, or it was not, in which case you need to all vote them back into DI.

And the big preps DO specifically target good athletes, and good academicians, and good speakers, etc. The reason that they do is that their reputation is built on being better than the other schools...it is why they can charge such huge tuitions and why boarders come to them from all over the country. If your school hangs on being superior in every way, you bet you target the best of everything when you admit kids. That is why it is hard to get into the big preps...selective admission assures that they only get the really good ones. But that is their goal...their reason for being.

Not so with the religious privates. We are into rescue the perishing, so we don't have any reason to only target elite kids. In fact, our student populations tend to reflect our communities in most ways, including our kids' IQ ranges and the % of learning disablities (We get kids from Baylor and McCallie all the time who have ADHD or some figure-ground disorder and can't keep up there). Our kids are admitted as long as they can pass a basic skills test. We also hold tuition down to a bare minimum so that as many kids as possible can attend. We DONT have the money, we DONT have the elite athletes, we DONT have selective admissions. We simply are a completely different kind of school with a completely different mission. I've explained this to you before Indian...

That is why we elected to stay DI in the first place...our schools are much more like the 1 and 2a rural public schools that we play than we are like the big preps. People in cities seek us out because of our mission, and our sense of community, and our smaller size, not because we have kids going to Harvard and Yale OR because we are sending kids to DI schools for athletics...if they want those kinds of possibilities then they send their kids to the big preps. If they want their kids to hear about Jesus in school then they send them to us. If they want their kids to have opportunities to win Westinghouse Science Awards and make perfect scores on the SAT...big preps. If they want them to have several chances a year to go to Honduras or City of Children in Mexico or to New Orleans to do service/mission work...us. About the only similarity between the religious privates and the preps is that some schools in both groups require uniforms...

They also happen to be much larger than most of us...

"That is why we elected to stay DI in the first place...our schools are much more like the 1 and 2a rural public schools that we play than we are like the big preps. People in cities seek us out because of our mission, and our sense of community, and our smaller size, not because we have kids going to Harvard and Yale OR because we are sending kids to DI schools for athletics...if they want those kinds of possibilities then they send their kids to the big preps. If they want their kids to hear about Jesus in school then they send them to us. If they want their kids to have opportunities to win Westinghouse Science Awards and make perfect scores on the SAT...big preps. If they want them to have several chances a year to go to Honduras or City of Children in Mexico or to New Orleans to do service/mission work...us. About the only similarity between the religious privates and the preps is that some schools in both groups require uniforms..."

Or, they could come to BA and get both. I'm assuming that you do know that BA teaches students from a Christian perspective as well as provide Bible based

course offerings. During the year students participate in many outreach ministries and a number of students also participate in foreign mission opportunities.

I don't appreciate the assertion that your school and the other "religious" privates are the only ones attempting to rescue the perishing. The cookie jar comment was

uncalled for as well.

QUOTE(hasbeen7 @ May 27 2007 - 12:37 AM) 826467907[/snapback]Watch the USJ baseball roster starting this year (2007). I'll project ahead at least 3-4 years and bet anyone a moonpie and RC cola that you will see the same names with a few additions of younger players already @ USJ. No recruiting - just hard work and the desire to win !

They don't get it....and those that do don't believe it.

QUOTE(RiverCityRage @ May 27 2007 - 04:21 PM) 826468108[/snapback]BOYD BUCHANAN , IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST RECRUITING SCHOOLS IN CHATTANOOGA. YOU MIGHT SAY YOU DON'T, BUT EVERYBODY KNOWS YOU DO!!!!!!

If Boyd Buchanan recruits, the girls basketball team recruiter needs to be fired. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(jek @ Jun 1 2007 - 10:45 PM) 826470274[/snapback]Or, they could come to BA and get both. I'm assuming that you do know that BA teaches students from a Christian perspective as well as provide Bible based

course offerings. During the year students participate in many outreach ministries and a number of students also participate in foreign mission opportunities.

I don't appreciate the assertion that your school and the other "religious" privates are the only ones attempting to rescue the perishing. The cookie jar comment was uncalled for as well.

OMG BA RECRUITS THERES PROOF RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!!!!111!!!1! GIVE THIS EVIDENCE TO THE SUPREME COURT TONIGHT. OMG!!!!

Ha.

[/sarcasm]

QUOTE(thug dadi @ Jun 1 2007 - 10:28 PM) 826470301[/snapback]If Boyd Buchanan recruits, the girls basketball team recruiter needs to be fired. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Its not the recruiters fault, all the recruiting expenses are going to the football program. The girls basketball team recriuter is doing all he/she can do with whats handed to them. LOL. Just teasing Baldcoach.