Bledsoe County Football?

I have not seen them yet, but heard last night that there are only 23 players. That may not be the case but that is what is going around. I don't ever remember there being that few at the beginning of the year. If that is correct it is an embarrassing shame. And I do not mean to sound negative, but that is not only a reflection on the current staff (and I mean the entire staff not just the head coach), but also the A. D. and the principal. If someone could confirm this that would be great and again IF this is accurate or even close we need something done fast. Less than 30-35 the first week and you are in serious trouble. With that few players, there is no way to be competitive. I talked to one of the Little Blue Dads and he told me they had kids on the waiting list for every age group... now what is wrong with this picture. I know the boys have just put pads on, but this does not look good.

That number is very close. I have not been down there, but if 23 is not exact, it is extremely close. Maybe some more kids will come out, but you know they can't be in shape if they have not been working out and conditioning. I must admit, this does not sound good.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not seen them yet, but heard last night that there are only 23 players. That may not be the case but that is what is going around. I don't ever remember there being that few at the beginning of the year. If that is correct it is an embarrassing shame. And I do not mean to sound negative, but that is not only a reflection on the current staff (and I mean the entire staff not just the head coach), but also the A. D. and the principal. If someone could confirm this that would be great and again IF this is accurate or even close we need something done fast. Less than 30-35 the first week and you are in serious trouble. With that few players, there is no way to be competitive. I talked to one of the Little Blue Dads and he told me they had kids on the waiting list for every age group... now what is wrong with this picture. I know the boys have just put pads on, but this does not look good.

Didn't they have about 40 last year?

I can't believe the numbers are that low! If they are then someone is going to have to step up and take the blame. I was concerned about this when I heard they were only working out 2 times per week. Also, that sounds like what was really happening the last couple of years. One day there would be 40 at practice the next 28 and nothing would be done. I hate to say it but sounds like nothing has changed except the name on the top line. The same people are still calling the shots and I'm talking about the very top of the ladder down. I feel sorry for Mr Robertson. All he wanted was to be the head coach and now he has learned that was only a title and that he would do what he was told. He is in a tough position because when he lets the players come out late they are not going to be in shape. Well how did the team look? Do they have any scrimmages set? I am very discouraged but this sure isn't the first time I've been. However, before we stand Mr Robertson in the town square and throw darts at him make sure that we have the whole line-up there superintendant, principal and A.D. Also, someone please tell Mr Robertson to watch his back sounds like an asst. is trying to find a place to stab

I can't believe the numbers are that low! If they are then someone is going to have to step up and take the blame. I was concerned about this when I heard they were only working out 2 times per week. Also, that sounds like what was really happening the last couple of years. One day there would be 40 at practice the next 28 and nothing would be done. I hate to say it but sounds like nothing has changed except the name on the top line. The same people are still calling the shots and I'm talking about the very top of the ladder down. I feel sorry for Mr Robertson. All he wanted was to be the head coach and now he has learned that was only a title and that he would do what he was told. He is in a tough position because when he lets the players come out late they are not going to be in shape. Well how did the team look? Do they have any scrimmages set? I am very discouraged but this sure isn't the first time I've been. However, before we stand Mr Robertson in the town square and throw darts at him make sure that we have the whole line-up there superintendant, principal and A.D. Also, someone please tell Mr Robertson to watch his back sounds like an asst. is trying to find a place to stab

You are exactly right about the asst. and lining up the everyone from the top down. But, sad as it is, they are finally allowing football to be just as embarrassing as the other sports. When you have an A.D. with a son as a head coach that has never had a winning season, you have to assume they do not care about winning, or even the kids. He has been coaching now for about 10 years and never had a winning season. That is pathetic and sad. I try to be positive on here and realize it is a football thread, but the problem obviously goes much deeper than that. We have accepted losing in our school system and we need a HOUSE CLEANING and place some people in leadership roles that understand that running second rate programs is not acceptable.

That is a great post and not too negative. I agree and have agreed for a long time. I can remember when our girls' basketball team was very strong back when Bill Deakins was the coach. Becky and Penny and Deborah could run the floor and make plays. The boys teams when Bennett Boynton, Tony Sapp and some others were more than average. We haven't been very strong in baseball but our softball team was good back when Ed Kennedy was coaching them. Why now have our athletic programs reached an all time low? Well you have an AD who only cares about his retirement and maybe keeping his son in a job. You have a superintendent who wanted to take care of some politics and you have a school board who is run by small town politicians. If those people would look at what is going on with athletics they would see that the school system itself is on its way down as well. I am tired of hearing people say that well this is Bledsoe County. We need to stop doing what is non productive and move forward. We need to find some politicians who have some backbone and tell those who are stunting the growth and development of our community and children to get out of the way and get someone in there who wants what is best. Instead all we have is people who have a book of excuses and a attitude that as long as I don't have any problems it is ok

That is a great post and not too negative. I agree and have agreed for a long time. I can remember when our girls' basketball team was very strong back when Bill Deakins was the coach. Becky and Penny and Deborah could run the floor and make plays. The boys teams when Bennett Boynton, Tony Sapp and some others were more than average. We haven't been very strong in baseball but our softball team was good back when Ed Kennedy was coaching them. Why now have our athletic programs reached an all time low? Well you have an AD who only cares about his retirement and maybe keeping his son in a job. You have a superintendent who wanted to take care of some politics and you have a school board who is run by small town politicians. If those people would look at what is going on with athletics they would see that the school system itself is on its way down as well. I am tired of hearing people say that well this is Bledsoe County. We need to stop doing what is non productive and move forward. We need to find some politicians who have some backbone and tell those who are stunting the growth and development of our community and children to get out of the way and get someone in there who wants what is best. Instead all we have is people who have a book of excuses and a attitude that as long as I don't have any problems it is ok

You, as usual, are right on the money about small town politicians. What we need is some folks in offices in the school system that have the attitude that our State Representative has in Nashville. He is not afraid to take a stand and mix it up down there to do what is right and that is what we must get in the school system and on the school board. And you are right about the AD. I do not like to look like I am running people down, but the truth is the truth. We have not had a coach of any sport since John Swafford that would take a stand and do what is right and run a program like it should be. What we need is someone like him running our school system, not a bunch of back scratchers.

i agree with most of what you are saying about bledsoe athletics the problem is administration, BUT... some programs have done well. softball has been winning for 4 out of the last 5 years including sending several of those girls to division 1 scholarships. volleyball never had a winning season until rhonda cagle took over 6 years ago and she has NEVER had a losing record going deep into the region tournament every year!!! i guess girls sports do not count, but since you guys mentioned ALL bledsoe athletics i thought i would put my 2 cents in. Warrior4ever i hope volleyball is not included as an embarrasment for you since they are winning, but maybe you do not know bledsoe has a team, how many games have you supported.

Well, this would make a great speech.....at a school board meeting....and not on a message board.

Run for school board and make a difference.

It would be refreshing to see posts on here, from all these ex-jocks, that mentioned X's & O's.

But no, it is easier to sling hash like we are at a Waffle House......smothered, covered, & stacked.

So, if anyone would like to talk about the sport, and get off Huberts' back, now would be the time.

He hasn't even coached his first game yet.

Meanwhile, the ole Polecat is dusting off the bleacher seats, washing out my thermos, and getting ready for some hard hitting, smashmouth, valley style football.

See ya in the stands !

POLECAT

i agree with most of what you are saying about bledsoe athletics the problem is administration, BUT... some programs have done well. softball has been winning for 4 out of the last 5 years including sending several of those girls to division 1 scholarships. volleyball never had a winning season until rhonda cagle took over 6 years ago and she has NEVER had a losing record going deep into the region tournament every year!!! i guess girls sports do not count, but since you guys mentioned ALL bledsoe athletics i thought i would put my 2 cents in. Warrior4ever i hope volleyball is not included as an embarrasment for you since they are winning, but maybe you do not know bledsoe has a team, how many games have you supported.

FINALLY, someone else besides me that cares about more than just the boys teams.... I've supported many many many BCHS volleyball, basketball, and softball games....

Look I have been on here dogging out coaches, and will continue to do so if they have proven they can't do their job. But Hubert is the BCHS coach, like it or not, and Hubert like any other coach we might have gotten, must get his CHANCE. Complaning about practice, workouts, or anything else is pointless at this time, especially if you don't know for sure. If this team gets 7 or 8 wins, then many will be saying Hubert's methods are just what the team needed. I am not saying Hubert is a good HEAD COACH or not,(because I like everyone else don't know) but I will not start bashing him until he has a fair shot to prove himself.

Now as far as the Assistant stabbing goes: it is even more ignorant to get on here and start a rumor like that, again they haven't played a game yet. It just sounds like you are trying to tear the team apart before they get started. If you are really that worried, for Hubert's sake, about the assistant go tell him in person.

If you truly want to see the team returned to the past glory you are always talking about, don't beg for a change then gripe about it when you get it. Boynton could still be the coach, then what would you say?

Until this team and coaching staff gets some "real" games under it's belt, lets get off their backs and jump on their bandwagon.

Let's all settle down and get excited about the upcoming season.

P.S. Polecat I will be beside you sometime I am sure enjoying that valley football you mentioned.

Look I have been on here dogging out coaches, and will continue to do so if they have proven they can't do their job. But Hubert is the BCHS coach, like it or not, and Hubert like any other coach we might have gotten, must get his CHANCE. Complaning about practice, workouts, or anything else is pointless at this time, especially if you don't know for sure. If this team gets 7 or 8 wins, then many will be saying Hubert's methods are just what the team needed. I am not saying Hubert is a good HEAD COACH or not,(because I like everyone else don't know) but I will not start bashing him until he has a fair shot to prove himself.

Now as far as the Assistant stabbing goes: it is even more ignorant to get on here and start a rumor like that, again they haven't played a game yet. It just sounds like you are trying to tear the team apart before they get started. If you are really that worried, for Hubert's sake, about the assistant go tell him in person.

If you truly want to see the team returned to the past glory you are always talking about, don't beg for a change then gripe about it when you get it. Boynton could still be the coach, then what would you say?

Until this team and coaching staff gets some "real" games under it's belt, lets get off their backs and jump on their bandwagon.

Let's all settle down and get excited about the upcoming season.

P.S. Polecat I will be beside you sometime I am sure enjoying that valley football you mentioned.

Hey Buzz,

Thanks for the props, as usual you have a keen insight.

Reality has a difficult time keeping pace with legend.

Players from the 70's & 80's & 90's were all 6'5" and ran a 3.4 sec 40. (LOL)

These things become larger than life......which is fun.....but damages a new coach.

And BUZZ, See you in the stands....

GO BLUE.

POLECAT