Bledsoe County Football?

I was on that team, & I was on that O-Line.......... LOL...... It was a hard season to play through but we kept on, We had 4 heartbreakers that year, but the next year we got to play spoiler a couple of times, espically a night in October just a little south of Pikeville........

As for Ricky Debord's Column, I remember reading them in the paper, he always had good articles, He helped coach us some & he was a hard working coach, he always pushed you to do better, and was there to encourage you along when you need it.....

I forgot about Bill Pope being on the airwaves, but now that you mentioned it I remember hearing him, as far as Lewis, I just couldn't remember his name..... lol

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on that team, & I was on that O-Line.......... LOL...... It was a hard season to play through but we kept on, We had 4 heartbreakers that year, but the next year we got to play spoiler a couple of times, espically a night in October just a little south of Pikeville........

As for Ricky Debord's Column, I remember reading them in the paper, he always had good articles, He helped coach us some & he was a hard working coach, he always pushed you to do better, and was there to encourage you along when you need it.....

I forgot about Bill Pope being on the airwaves, but now that you mentioned it I remember hearing him, as far as Lewis, I just couldn't remember his name..... lol

As I remember that o-line there was only 1 Jr. and I believe he played gaurd that would have been on the team that beat Dunlap in '91. He played his guts out and I know is a true Warrior. Keep up the good work and it is good to know some of the younger generation is getting involved like yourself. Maybe, and I know you do, you could encourage some of your old teammates to get more involved with the program. Don't some of them have kids about ready to start playing?

You forget that Bill Pope and Lewis Brown also were on the air with Mel for the playback on Saturday mornings back the days you listened with your Pa at the Co-op. Can you remember "On the Sidlines with Ricky Debord". Those were really good articles in the paper. Were you on the team Dickie Brown's first year that he went 1-9? That was the worst coached team I think I ever saw. I can remember them losing several games by less than a touchdown. York by 2, Grundy by 1, the overtime loss to Notre Dame, and were tied at the half with a tough McMinn Central team. I did not make the trip that year to Macon so I missed that loss with 2 Hail Mary's one at the half and 1 at the end of the game to lose by a touchdown. That team had one of the better O-lines down there, they could really pound it out but had to watch the worst play calling that year I have ever seen. They were even in the game against Dunlap until the interception for a touchdown at the end of the first half. Again, terrible coaching job that year. Again, Bledsoe Co. Warrior, were you on that team, or did you play a little later?

If Brown's first year was 1990, Bledsoe was down 35-7 at the half against Sequatchie.

Looking back on the (good ole days) is all good, but it is 2007 and we got what we got!

New coach and all that tallent, so whats it gonna be?

But i have a question can anybody stand up and testify on this, here it is!

IS ALL THAT TALLENT ALL ABOUT FOOTBALL? Have they been in the weightroom? Have they been conditioning? Have they been studying the new offense? Have they been getting their head right to play the game? BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY DO THEY RESPECT AND WILL THEY GIVE IT THEIR ALL FOR THEIR NEW COACH?

Yes i agree that coach must modivate the kids! But the kids must modivate themselves and their teammates also, they got to have their head right, and if they are some kids that play rather it be then or now that are not in love with the game they will only be so good no matter what kind of athlete they are!

Also as far as their being any college prospects on the team we will see! The pads have not been strapped on yet and some have all but given out schlorships to some of these kids! I remember what is like to be a teenager and it can be a cancer to some if they read are hear too many good things about theirselves! So be careful those claims of being all that may make you eat crow! By no means am i saying anything negative towards any of these kids but we got to watch how much we brag on anyone!

I do want to know how the summer workouts were and how many participated that will be one of the keys to a succesville season no matter what the record turns out to be!

Just as someone said in an eariler post about coach browns first season the close losses but only going 1-9 i remember that season and i left the last game knowing that next year will be better,and it was! So i guess alot of questions will be answered in the upcoming weeks about alot of things!

Bledsoe Co. Warrior. Seems we wore the Blue and Gold at the same time! If you were on that team it was a tough year but we did get a little revenge in Dunlap in 91, breaking a 5 year losing streak to the Indians!!! I was fortunate enough to have some good guys up front in 90 and 91 blocking for me. I needed it as scrawny as I was!! See if I can remember them all in 90 we had David Swafford, Eric Swafford, Athel Fredrick, Steven Lowe, Robert Boynton, Dewayne Corvin Chris Tabor. 91 Carlos Davis, Robert Boynton, Ron Sells, Bryan Stewart, Richard Smith, Thomas Watson, Brad Roberson. If I left some out Bledsoe Warrior fill them in for me, my memory is getting foggy as I get older. As far as the 90 season goes I would not chalk it up to bad coaching as much as I would to lack of work ethic by a previous staff. We were not pushed in the Weightroom as Fr. and So. like we should have been. We were in alot of games early b/c of talent but did not finish strong due to lack of strength. I feel we had good athletes as Jr. and Sr. but suffered in part b/c of lack of weightroom and conditioning as Fr. and So. Remember though the Region was very Tuff in 90 with Sequatchie Co. going undefeated 10-0 in the regular season and Marion Co. winning their first state title. Trent Young, Michael Schmitt, Robby Burgess and all those guys in Dunlap with Janeway, Rodney Rankin, Shane Thomasson Jamie Wells and those guys in Jasper. Most folks in Marion Co. still say that was the meanest and best of all the state Champ teams, they steamrolled everyone in the playoffs that year. Glad to see guys from my generation involved in HS athletics and good luck to the the Big Blue in 2007. Hope you guys win them all but one and guess which one that is?? Remember family has to stick together!!

Bledsoe Co. Warrior. Seems we wore the Blue and Gold at the same time! If you were on that team it was a tough year but we did get a little revenge in Dunlap in 91, breaking a 5 year losing streak to the Indians!!! I was fortunate enough to have some good guys up front in 90 and 91 blocking for me. I needed it as scrawny as I was!! See if I can remember them all in 90 we had David Swafford, Eric Swafford, Athel Fredrick, Steven Lowe, Robert Boynton, Dewayne Corvin Chris Tabor. 91 Carlos Davis, Robert Boynton, Ron Sells, Bryan Stewart, Richard Smith, Thomas Watson, Brad Roberson. If I left some out Bledsoe Warrior fill them in for me, my memory is getting foggy as I get older. As far as the 90 season goes I would not chalk it up to bad coaching as much as I would to lack of work ethic by a previous staff. We were not pushed in the Weightroom as Fr. and So. like we should have been. We were in alot of games early b/c of talent but did not finish strong due to lack of strength. I feel we had good athletes as Jr. and Sr. but suffered in part b/c of lack of weightroom and conditioning as Fr. and So. Remember though the Region was very Tuff in 90 with Sequatchie Co. going undefeated 10-0 in the regular season and Marion Co. winning their first state title. Trent Young, Michael Schmitt, Robby Burgess and all those guys in Dunlap with Janeway, Rodney Rankin, Shane Thomasson Jamie Wells and those guys in Jasper. Most folks in Marion Co. still say that was the meanest and best of all the state Champ teams, they steamrolled everyone in the playoffs that year. Glad to see guys from my generation involved in HS athletics and good luck to the the Big Blue in 2007. Hope you guys win them all but one and guess which one that is?? Remember family has to stick together!!

How did we do tonight at your new home, coach?

Bledsoebetheboys, All in all a good night of perimeter drills at Central. Alot of rotating with 5 teams there, Cannon Co. was unable to attend b/c of bus troubles. Bledsoe held their on offensively but I know Coach Roberson was not happy with the overall play of his team. Central was much more sharp than last week at Grundy as the guys are starting to pick up the offense. I still believe the Warriors have enough athletes to compete for a playoff spot and a home playoff spot at that. I saw Marion Co. up at TN Tech's 7 on 7 and I saw Boyd at Lenior City's 7 on 7 and the boys in blue have as many athletes as those guys. They just need to pull together as a team, keep working hard and get after those guys every Friday. Alot will be determined up front and I have not seen any of the olines ands dlines for those teams. Any coach worth his salt knows games are won and lost up front. So if the warriors can block and give Colvard time while opening holes for Watson and Brown the Warriors will be a factor in the Region.

Bledsoebetheboys, All in all a good night of perimeter drills at Central. Alot of rotating with 5 teams there, Cannon Co. was unable to attend b/c of bus troubles. Bledsoe held their on offensively but I know Coach Roberson was not happy with the overall play of his team. Central was much more sharp than last week at Grundy as the guys are starting to pick up the offense. I still believe the Warriors have enough athletes to compete for a playoff spot and a home playoff spot at that. I saw Marion Co. up at TN Tech's 7 on 7 and I saw Boyd at Lenior City's 7 on 7 and the boys in blue have as many athletes as those guys. They just need to pull together as a team, keep working hard and get after those guys every Friday. Alot will be determined up front and I have not seen any of the olines ands dlines for those teams. Any coach worth his salt knows games are won and lost up front. So if the warriors can block and give Colvard time while opening holes for Watson and Brown the Warriors will be a factor in the Region.

Thank you, coach.... Coach Roberson does get very mad if his boys do not produce like he wants and expects them to give there all....

many of the people who get on here and say that a local coach isn't the best for bledsoe apparently does not know the history. Tom Hatfield was a name that was left out and he was also below .500, Harold Cagle another and was above .500 but was more of a basketball coach and only coached football 3 or 4 years. Had 1 really good team. As for John Swafford his record speaks for itself and he was as home grown as there was. All of his teams whether winning or not played physical hard nosed football. The shoved it down your throat and told you to try and stop them and most of the time you couldn't. They also were strong defensively. We spent many Saturday mornings at Scotties drinking coffee because back then that is what you did. You went to the game on Friday and then talked about it and listened to the playback on Saturday. I know our world has changed but where did those "great" times go. They went the way of coaches who had no passion for the big blue. I believe that Mr Robertson has the love of football but I'm not sure that he has the ability to do the things it takes to really win. Can he rally the community? Will he be strong on discipline? Does he and his team work hard enough? Can he stand the heat? Time will tell. I also believe that without good help he is destined to fail and he DOES NOT HAVE ANY HELP. We haven't won a region title since 1983! Every other team in our region has. Will we raise our level or will we again be saying well we got in the play-offs and be satisfied even though there are only 5 teams. Finally, our superintendent and the h.s. principal and A.D. are products of local politics. Nobody wanted to make a stand and now our children are suffering. We lost a really good teacher and supporter of kids but nobody stood up to ask why. Her politics cost her her job!!!! And we wonder why we are poor in athletics

Coach you left out Marty Swafford that played tight end on the '90 team and Richard Smith started at gaurd that year and the next. It is not hard to figure out who I am on here as my name gives it away. I wish you all the success in the world this season. Of course we played together a several years and as with your coaching (yes, I check your scores every week to see how you are doing) when you played you left it all on the field. Bledsoe Co. Warrior, you are a class act and it was a pleasure playing with you and I appreciate the work you are doing with the young people now. I have watched the Big Blue all my life and am proud that I got to wear the Blue and Gold and am excited that my son is starting to play next week (Little Blue or course). I have seen coaches that had much success and some that did not. I do think it is a little early to judge how well Coach Roberson will do and as we all know, he played on one of the better teams ever at BCHS. I guess we will know in the coming weeks if the kids are prepared, but I have watched many of these kids grow up and watched many of their parents wear the blue and gold as I was growing up and I do believe they can win some ball games and make us proud. I for one am excited about this season and can't wait for it to get here. Coach Barger, best of luck to you this year we are all pulling for you. Tell your little Bro. good luck as well and I will be pulling for him every week but 1, sorry (and I do understand blood is thicker than water).

Coach you left out Marty Swafford that played tight end on the '90 team and Richard Smith started at gaurd that year and the next. It is not hard to figure out who I am on here as my name gives it away. I wish you all the success in the world this season. Of course we played together a several years and as with your coaching (yes, I check your scores every week to see how you are doing) when you played you left it all on the field. Bledsoe Co. Warrior, you are a class act and it was a pleasure playing with you and I appreciate the work you are doing with the young people now. I have watched the Big Blue all my life and am proud that I got to wear the Blue and Gold and am excited that my son is starting to play next week (Little Blue or course). I have seen coaches that had much success and some that did not. I do think it is a little early to judge how well Coach Roberson will do and as we all know, he played on one of the better teams ever at BCHS. I guess we will know in the coming weeks if the kids are prepared, but I have watched many of these kids grow up and watched many of their parents wear the blue and gold as I was growing up and I do believe they can win some ball games and make us proud. I for one am excited about this season and can't wait for it to get here. Coach Barger, best of luck to you this year we are all pulling for you. Tell your little Bro. good luck as well and I will be pulling for him every week but 1, sorry (and I do understand blood is thicker than water).

Eric55, it is good to see you getting involved. I know you support the Big Blue, but it is always good to see more people getting involved and getting excited about the upcoming season. I agree with you that it is a little early to write off Hubert and I think he can do a good job with the right community support behind him. There is alot of talk on here about John Swafford and we all know that is who Hubert played for. He even played baseball for Coach Swafford, so he knows what it is all about. As many have stated we will all know soon enough. Again, it is great to see everyone getting involved and those of a little closer to my age group getting excited.