Bledsoe County Football?

Schedule Set for Thursday @ Central. Teams participating are Central, Bledsoe Co., Cannon Co. , Silverdale, Grundy Co. and David Brainerd. Play Day will begin At 5:00 p.m est. Look forward to seeing the boys in Blue and the kin from Woodbury. Should be alot of fun.

I wish I could come, coach.... I hope the boys in blue do good...

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schedule Set for Thursday @ Central. Teams participating are Central, Bledsoe Co., Cannon Co. , Silverdale, Grundy Co. and David Brainerd. Play Day will begin At 5:00 p.m est. Look forward to seeing the boys in Blue and the kin from Woodbury. Should be alot of fun.

Thanks. Let us know how it goes. We are scrimmaging Cannon Co later in Aug and we face Bledsoe and Grundy in the Jamboree. Of course SD and DB are in our district

bledsoeb, I take no offense when you discuss things but if you graduated in 04 you haven't really been part of much winning tradition correct? That being said I have watched when Bledsoe County was winning and when they weren't. I have stood on the sidelines, played between the stripes and have cheered from the stands. I have helped raise money and been part of the quarterback club. I have been in the long line of fans that drove all over the place together back in the 80's. There were many people in the community that were excited about football....not just a couple of kids and students....Bill Pope, Mel Matthews, Pos Merriman, Shoate Terry, Phil Crawford, Johnny Nail, Mickey Harwood and many others would get together and go all over the place watching Bledsoe's finest because they believed in the type of program that we had. Then you went through a phase where Dickie Brown didn't want people to come "support" him. Then you went through one of the finest football players in Bledsoe history but someone who wasn't a good coach or motivator of either players or the community and a few more fans dropped off. Mr Robertson MUST get his program going...I don't want to hear about they will be ok or fine I want to hear about them winning and playing hard and being prepared...what every old man that ever wore the blue wants

Guest Termite

bledsoeb, I take no offense when you discuss things but if you graduated in 04 you haven't really been part of much winning tradition correct? That being said I have watched when Bledsoe County was winning and when they weren't. I have stood on the sidelines, played between the stripes and have cheered from the stands. I have helped raise money and been part of the quarterback club. I have been in the long line of fans that drove all over the place together back in the 80's. There were many people in the community that were excited about football....not just a couple of kids and students....Bill Pope, Mel Matthews, Pos Merriman, Shoate Terry, Phil Crawford, Johnny Nail, Mickey Harwood and many others would get together and go all over the place watching Bledsoe's finest because they believed in the type of program that we had. Then you went through a phase where Dickie Brown didn't want people to come "support" him. Then you went through one of the finest football players in Bledsoe history but someone who wasn't a good coach or motivator of either players or the community and a few more fans dropped off. Mr Robertson MUST get his program going...I don't want to hear about they will be ok or fine I want to hear about them winning and playing hard and being prepared...what every old man that ever wore the blue wants

Tell me it's none of my business or whatever...I have read most of this thread and know it's a Bledsoe thing... and can relate somewhat to Bledsoes past.......but why has bchswar and warrior4ever waited 25 years to say anything ....or are they this critical evey year thing?

Here is my take on the program now & what I remember in the past.... First off as a 9 or 10 year old kid I remember comming to the Warrior Games & watching the big blue line it up & run it down whoever was in front of them's throat, from the days of Whitson, Thomas, Sharp's, Swafford, The Smith Boys....... Man what a memory in a ole country boys heart, I remember my Pa going to town to the OLD CO-OP, getting a load of feed and listining to the game again, hearing Mel tell us about the Rockfort Rocket to the right for 6, and all them good memories, then about 6th grade it was the same story but with bart Myers, Bart Roberts, Tim Housley, Peach Swafford, Travis Terry & more by the time I was in High School we had Sanford Quay & the Quay way of punting on 3rd down, Then Dickie Brown rolled in and brought a little respect back but he didn't want or get the fans back, I remember the night we beat Dunlap in Dunlap the biggest game in my personal memory to me, and we didn't have 1/3 the support or crowds I remember in the John Swafford era.... When Johnny Boynton took over I thought we were back, man was I mistaken we only slipped further down & hid a little more.... Now for coach Robertson, I played for him, he wasn't worth his weight in chicken manure when he coached me, so if he's the next Vince Lombarti , BledsoeB, he must have been hipnotized....... I hope for the sake of these kids out there working the tails off he has undertaken a major undertaking change in his knowledge, but the one thing the fans won't forget & it still eats in my crawl is how the I'll scratch your sons back if you scratch my back politics, and no other coach was interviewed, When Hubie got the job, it was Johnny Boynton politics & it was wrong for the kids of this county....... & mark my words down, & I hope I am wrong, but a 4 win season with a gravy non region schedule will suprise me, I just hate it for Watson, Colvard, & the other seniors..... BCW

i have said it before and i will say it again.........as long as the bledsoe administration (principal, and superintendent) are satisfied just to have sports teams, this is the way it will always be. most all of the sports football, basketball, baseball, are sub .500 teams at best, and the administration is happy just to have a team, not a competitive team. these are all local coaches who honestly are probably trying their best, but their best is not competitive enough. we need some new coaching, and administrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have said it before and i will say it again.........as long as the bledsoe administration (principal, and superintendent) are satisfied just to have sports teams, this is the way it will always be. most all of the sports football, basketball, baseball, are sub .500 teams at best, and the administration is happy just to have a team, not a competitive team. these are all local coaches who honestly are probably trying their best, but their best is not competitive enough. we need some new coaching, and administrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The administration is no doubt due for a makeover....

i will agree with you about giving him a chance since he is already here, but i was just going on our past history. we have only had maybe 2 or 3 coaches that were not local coaches in the past 50 plus years. How many trips have we made to the championship game??? ZERO!!!

You have made some excellent points about the administration. A below 500 coaching record in any sport is unacceptable, football, basketball, baseball, or anything else. However, as far as not local coaches at least in football... We had Kelly Sargent (lifetime below 500 record), Jamie Warden(lifetime below 500 record), Sanford Quay (lifetime below 500 record in more than 1 sport), Dickie Brown (lifetime below 500 record). The only coach to make it to the Quarter finals in football is John Swafford who was born and raised in Bledsoe Co. He also has the highest winning percentage in school history so I don't think you can just say get someone that is not local. Look further at some of the coaches Bledsoe Co. has produced that were not welcomed home... Dennis Therrell (successful college coach), Jim Swafford (former coach that took 2 or 3 different schools to the playoffs), Johnny Harrison (coaching at Sunbright), David Barger (very successful at Lake Co. and now at Central), Chad Barger (I hear working hard to try and build a program at Cannon Co. up hill climb but again folks say is working hard). I am sure I am leaving out some these are just the ones that come to mind right off. We have produced in this county some good football minds, the administrations just did not care about being competitive.

Here is my take on the program now & what I remember in the past.... First off as a 9 or 10 year old kid I remember comming to the Warrior Games & watching the big blue line it up & run it down whoever was in front of them's throat, from the days of Whitson, Thomas, Sharp's, Swafford, The Smith Boys....... Man what a memory in a ole country boys heart, I remember my Pa going to town to the OLD CO-OP, getting a load of feed and listining to the game again, hearing Mel tell us about the Rockfort Rocket to the right for 6, and all them good memories, then about 6th grade it was the same story but with bart Myers, Bart Roberts, Tim Housley, Peach Swafford, Travis Terry & more by the time I was in High School we had Sanford Quay & the Quay way of punting on 3rd down, Then Dickie Brown rolled in and brought a little respect back but he didn't want or get the fans back, I remember the night we beat Dunlap in Dunlap the biggest game in my personal memory to me, and we didn't have 1/3 the support or crowds I remember in the John Swafford era.... When Johnny Boynton took over I thought we were back, man was I mistaken we only slipped further down & hid a little more.... Now for coach Robertson, I played for him, he wasn't worth his weight in chicken manure when he coached me, so if he's the next Vince Lombarti , BledsoeB, he must have been hipnotized....... I hope for the sake of these kids out there working the tails off he has undertaken a major undertaking change in his knowledge, but the one thing the fans won't forget & it still eats in my crawl is how the I'll scratch your sons back if you scratch my back politics, and no other coach was interviewed, When Hubie got the job, it was Johnny Boynton politics & it was wrong for the kids of this county....... & mark my words down, & I hope I am wrong, but a 4 win season with a gravy non region schedule will suprise me, I just hate it for Watson, Colvard, & the other seniors..... BCW

You forget that Bill Pope and Lewis Brown also were on the air with Mel for the playback on Saturday mornings back the days you listened with your Pa at the Co-op. Can you remember "On the Sidlines with Ricky Debord". Those were really good articles in the paper. Were you on the team Dickie Brown's first year that he went 1-9? That was the worst coached team I think I ever saw. I can remember them losing several games by less than a touchdown. York by 2, Grundy by 1, the overtime loss to Notre Dame, and were tied at the half with a tough McMinn Central team. I did not make the trip that year to Macon so I missed that loss with 2 Hail Mary's one at the half and 1 at the end of the game to lose by a touchdown. That team had one of the better O-lines down there, they could really pound it out but had to watch the worst play calling that year I have ever seen. They were even in the game against Dunlap until the interception for a touchdown at the end of the first half. Again, terrible coaching job that year. Again, Bledsoe Co. Warrior, were you on that team, or did you play a little later?