TN/KY All-Star Game

The Scribe

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roster should be completed tomorrow. BTW, here is some media info.

Forty-Two of Tennessee’s finest high school football seniors will take the field to represent the Volunteer State in the 24th and final Tennessee-Kentucky All-Star Game Friday, June 15, in Lexington. The Tennessee Athletic Coaches Association (TACA) is proud to coordinate this event. The Tennessee All-Stars will practice in Knoxville before traveling to Commonwealth Stadium for the game.

TENNESSEE-KENTUCKY ALL-STAR GAME FACTS

Date: Friday, June 15

Kickoff Time: 7:00 EST

Series History: Tennessee leads the all-time series 15-8.

Last Year: Tennessee defeated Kentucky 14-7 in Chattanooga.

2007 Head Coach: Don Woods (Morristown West)

Tennessee Media Contact: Russell Mayes

PRACTICE SCHEDULE (Morning and afternoon practices will be held at Safety City Park, located near Tyson Park)

Sunday, June 10: 12PM Players Report (Clement Hall)

6:30PM Team Dinner at Lindsey Nelson Stadium

Monday, June 11: 9:30-11AM Practice (Safety City)

3-5PM Practice (Safety City)

8-9PM Practice (UT indoor complex)

Tuesday, June 12: 9:30-11AM Practice (Safety City)

8-9PM Practice (UT indoor complex)

Wednesday, June 13: 9:30-11AM Practice (Safety City)

Thursday, June 14: 1PM Media Day/Team Pictures (Neyland

Stadium South Tunnel)

Congratulations to all the kids who made the team and good luck against the Ky team.

The ONE thing I cannot understand though is that there is NOT one kid from ANY Region 4 or 6 5A team on the team! Hard to believe it is truly an all star team without someone from the state Champion team on there.

Mine is not to reason why though, mine is just to root for them.

I had to edit my post because I forgot that Williamson County is Region 6 instead of reion 5. Silly me. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(Lost Old Dad @ Jun 15 2007 - 09:55 AM) 826475424[/snapback]Congratulations to all the kids who made the team and good luck against the Ky team.

The ONE thing I cannot understand though is that there is NOT one kid from ANY Region 4 or 5 5A team on the team! Hard to believe it is truly an all star team without someone from the state Champion team on there.

I have been told that several of the players that were invited turned down the invitation for various reasons. Most of the "big time" D1 kids are already in school working out and others have the fear of injury in a game that they have nothing to gain. Some of the college coaches are advising players not to participate for fear of injury. My guess is that some of the invited players from region 4 or 5 5A decilined the invitation.

QUOTE(SACDAWGS @ Jun 15 2007 - 08:55 AM) 826475404[/snapback]Is this the last time TN all stars will play against Ky all-stars? Why?

I read on here somewhere, is that they want to, split the state in two and make an East v. West Tennessee All Star game. They are wanting it to be played before the 1A State Championship is played in order to make this an more important event and to get some fans support. If it is played then, the selected All Stars that made either the East or West cant play in that game, but since they are in the state championship game, that a award in itself. Another reason to play it in the fall time, is for the college recruiters to attned. If I find where I read that I will post the link in here.

QUOTE(Lost Old Dad @ Jun 15 2007 - 08:55 AM) 826475424[/snapback]Congratulations to all the kids who made the team and good luck against the Ky team.

The ONE thing I cannot understand though is that there is NOT one kid from ANY Region 4 or 5 5A team on the team! Hard to believe it is truly an all star team without someone from the state Champion team on there.

Lost Old Dad.

Watched practice the other day, and wondered the same myself. Thought most of the kids were having a good time. All 3 qbs threw the ball well. Woods from Ooltewah looked sharp on mid range throws, Sanders from Smith Co. throws a nice out, Troutman from AE can sling it deep. Both Rogan (quick) and Shiverdecker (fast) looked good. I really liked Corey Watson out of Sevier Co. @ CB. Antony Anderson looks ready for UT. Faster than I have ever seen him. Routes were run very well. Tremendous body lean, with no upward movement coming out of cuts. The Red Bank DBs, and everyone else for that matter had trouble staying with him. Orlando Blair looked pretty good at WR. When Dasmine Cathy out of Ridgeway puts on some lbs, he is going to be a very very good DE. Buchanon out of Antioch looked good a TE. Hogsett will stuff the run @ MLB. TJ Franklin (6-5 275) @ LT is a lot bigger than when I last saw him play, as is JR Richmond (6-5 245), DE out of Knox West. It was fun seeing all that talent on the field, but I couldn't help but think what kids like Maples, Donald, Smith, Watkins, etc could have added to the show.

ruse?

I think these All-Star games are an event whose time has passed.

Originally, it was for bragging rites; it was a chance to match your state against another in a contest of who played better football.

Now, with early admissions and the realistic fear of injury, the best of the best aren't playing. It hasn't been that way for awhile. The last few years, the teams we sent were missing some serious talent. Oftentimes, the players and coaches really weren't putting their best efforts out there. Kentucky took our boys to the woodshed repeatedly in recent years because it mattered more to them.

So long after the season, everyone is rusty and it is too close to summer reporting to chance an injury.

Time to move on.