Strongest D and Strongest O this season

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(allstate1992 @ Jun 13 2007 - 01:18 PM) 826474640[/snapback]Who are some teams this season with many returning starters? on offense? defense? Which schools look to be dominant airing it out and on the ground in O and strong rush and pass D?

Sonny Gray & Rod Wilks.... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Smyrna has to be a top contender on Offense

QUOTE(Live4FridayNite615 @ Jun 13 2007 - 10:44 PM) 826474849[/snapback]Sonny Gray & Rod Wilks.... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Smyrna has to be a top contender on Offense

Gray is taking a big risk playing football next year. He is one hard tackle away from no baseball in college or the mlb draft. With a Vanderbilt education worth $48,000.00 per year he is risking $192,000.00 just for college not counting what a signing bonus could be. It is simple economics 101.

QUOTE(cbg @ Jun 14 2007 - 01:46 PM) 826475035[/snapback]Gray is taking a big risk playing football next year. He is one hard tackle away from no baseball in college or the mlb draft. With a Vanderbilt education worth $48,000.00 per year he is risking $192,000.00 just for college not counting what a signing bonus could be. It is simple economics 101.

Maybe, but life isnt worth living if you go around scared. He could just as easily hurt himself playing baseball as well

QUOTE(JesseWJohnson @ Jun 14 2007 - 08:15 PM) 826475218[/snapback]My vote for strongest O goes to Hillsboro and Maryville.

Vote for strongest D goes to Franklin and Wooddale out of Memphis.

i sincerely hope youre joking about woodale having one of the "strongest ds" of all the 5a schools in this state. im not too well informed of public school athletics, but being from memphis, i have seen woodale several times and do not believe they will have a very good defense this year. i can name several Super 7 teams that will have better defenses than that of woodale, though its just my honest opinion....

QUOTE(cbg @ Jun 14 2007 - 01:46 PM) 826475035[/snapback]Gray is taking a big risk playing football next year. He is one hard tackle away from no baseball in college or the mlb draft. With a Vanderbilt education worth $48,000.00 per year he is risking $192,000.00 just for college not counting what a signing bonus could be. It is simple economics 101.

the economics in this case are rather simple, but then theres the "coulda woulda shoulda" factor. if he doesnt play, he has no chance at his second consecutive state football title. smyrna not being a state power in baseball, the chance of getting a ring in that sport is a lot less probable.

think about how much farther a darn good quarterback can take a football team as opposed to a stud pitcher on a baseball team. its much easier for one player to affect a football game than it is for that same player to have as big an impact on a baseball game.

if hes a competitor, which id hope he was since he possesses a mid-90s fastball, hes not worried about what MIGHT happen. my advice would be to work as hard as he can and take it one day at a time. why get carried away? hes only got one more year of high school/high school sports to "enjoy." hes a kid, let him be and do what he wants.

QUOTE(brosbaseball9 @ Jun 15 2007 - 10:36 AM) 826475439[/snapback]the economics in this case are rather simple, but then theres the "coulda woulda shoulda" factor. if he doesnt play, he has no chance at his second consecutive state football title. smyrna not being a state power in baseball, the chance of getting a ring in that sport is a lot less probable.

think about how much farther a darn good quarterback can take a football team as opposed to a stud pitcher on a baseball team. its much easier for one player to affect a football game than it is for that same player to have as big an impact on a baseball game.

if hes a competitor, which id hope he was since he possesses a mid-90s fastball, hes not worried about what MIGHT happen. my advice would be to work as hard as he can and take it one day at a time. why get carried away? hes only got one more year of high school/high school sports to "enjoy." hes a kid, let him be and do what he wants.

trust me, its definately very very possible for one player to affect a baseball game just as much as a football game. just incase your not a big espn fan(just to back myself up) maybe you should have watched justin verlander tuesday night as he threw a no-hitter, something that sonny grey is deffinately capable of doing with the stuff he has. if a pitcher throws a no hitter than he has completely controlled the game! do u recall the effects drew hayes had on mckenzie last year in single A baseball.. that team won the state championship, and if you look at stats, its pretty hard to say one team cant go far on one stud player because drew carried all the weight!

but i agree.. he should play both sports and enjoy what time he has left. great athlete and should help smyrna to have one of the most productive offenses in the state.

QUOTE(allstate1992 @ Jun 15 2007 - 11:43 AM) 826475457[/snapback]trust me, its definately very very possible for one player to affect a baseball game just as much as a football game. just incase your not a big espn fan(just to back myself up) maybe you should have watched justin verlander tuesday night as he threw a no-hitter, something that sonny grey is deffinately capable of doing with the stuff he has. if a pitcher throws a no hitter than he has completely controlled the game! do u recall the effects drew hayes had on mckenzie last year in single A baseball.. that team won the state championship, and if you look at stats, its pretty hard to say one team cant go far on one stud player because drew carried all the weight!

but i agree.. he should play both sports and enjoy what time he has left. great athlete and should help smyrna to have one of the most productive offenses in the state.

i dont recall any effects of drew hayes because i never saw drew hayes play baseball....im kinda glad i didnt. from secondhand information, i understand he had offers from the likes of florida state and other top-notch programs, in addition to being drafted, and he opted to play for bethel....and someone was talking about economics??? im not poking fun at anyone. i understand drew hayes must have felt more comfortable being a lot closer to home, but the economical rationale of that decision seems MUCH worse than sonny gray playing football, probably wanting to go after back-to-back rings, after having committed to vanderbilt to play baseball with the likelihood of also being a draft pick next year right out of high school.

though i do recall another pretty solid pitcher who was also a senior last year in matt packer. his (our, to be politically correct) team was ranked in the top ten of the baseball america poll, a shoe-in to win the state championship, pretty much the only reason we were playing was to see who would be runner-up. BUT, whoops, we dont play well and baylor beats us twice in two days and goes on to win the state championship. fast forward a year, mckenzie doesnt win state championship, not even sure they made it to the state tournament, but Christian Brothers wins another state title without a "stud" pitcher.

packer had profound impacts on many games in 2006 both with his gifted left arm as well as his bat, but he by no means won a state title for his school in '06. this is my point.

a healthy quarterback has the opportunity to affect the game on every snap of offense for his team during the course of every game. a pitcher can only affect the outcome of a game so often, say every 3-4 days if he doesnt care too much about his body...three times in packer's case during the course of the '06 state tournament.

comparing a rising high school senior to that of a major league pitcher isnt fair. f.y.i. verlander topped out at around 100 while he was in high school...he went to xavier cause he couldnt consistently put the ball where he wanted it....gray's at 96.

p.s.--verlander had a bit of help in that no-hitter he threw. im rather positive there was a "web gem" catch made by the right fielder in the early innings....but i might be mistaking.