Kentucky: 'Athletic territories' plan sent to state lawmakers

CoachT

Interesting part of the article, which sounds very familiar for some reason:

Proposal 2 grew out of public schools' discontent with private schools' dominance in sports, and the perception that private schools can recruit athletes -- a rules violation -- under the guise of recruiting students.

Private-school leaders oppose the plan, saying it restricts school choice and requires students to choose a high school when they're sixth-graders if they want to play sports as freshmen. The proposal's backers say it could curb athletic recruiting of middle schoolers.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Split in half is a huge exageration. If you bring CPA, Goodpasture, DCA, Boyd, JCS, USJ back to 1A. Three out of four teams in the semi's every year will be privates, and the only reason that regions 1 and 2 wouldn't send a private to the semi's is because thy have none.

Exactly. Why are people saying they disagree with me and then basically state the same thing? Maybe I should have said what chances the publics have would be CUT in half. In other words like you said with alphabet schools back, publics have a slim to none chance of getting to the championship. Thats why the privates would be for anything that would get rid of the multiplier. I would like to see the multiplier abolished also as long as the full public/private split takes place.

Exactly. Why are people saying they disagree with me and then basically state the same thing? Maybe I should have said what chances the publics have would be CUT in half. In other words like you said with alphabet schools back, publics have a slim to none chance of getting to the championship. Thats why the privates would be for anything that would get rid of the multiplier. I would like to see the multiplier abolished also as long as the full public/private split takes place.

If there was a full split then i see no reason there would ever be a multiplier...

In other news, I also don't see why most regard the Mutliplier as a complete failure when it has been around all of two, mabey three years. A good example is the BCS, there was some complain in 2001, but most complain hasn't gotten ground until 2005 (seven years after it started). The Multiplier could turn out to be a failure, but i want to at least let it do it's thing before you completely condem it.

The Multiplier could turn out to be a failure, but i want to at least let it do it's thing before you completely condem it.

I have never said I completely condem it. You said if the rules that KY is trying to enforce EVERY private would like to see the multiplier gone. Your words not mine. I said I would like it abolished only if the full split happened which would happen because there is not need for multiplier if publics and privates are in a whole different league.

Guys, you are continuing this nonsense in every thread of "I didn't say that"

or "you called me that".

Please stop the endless bickering and simply discuss the issues.

Whatever little interest there is in these issues, you are knocking people

out of the discussion with this he said, she said jive.

I have never said I completely condem it. You said if the rules that KY is trying to enforce EVERY private would like to see the multiplier gone. Your words not mine. I said I would like it abolished only if the full split happened which would happen because there is not need for multiplier if publics and privates are in a whole different league.

or "you called me that".

Sorry, I came up with a good excuse, but you dont want to hear that. I'll watch a little closer in my next post.

I will say it again, the best way to regulate the problem in Tennessee is to have 4 classifications in football, basketball & baseball. All private schools must play in AA, AAA or AAAA unless they are starting one of the three sports listed above. If small private school X wanted to start a football program they would be allowed to play in class A for one scheduling period to get their feet on the ground and to help them build a program. The schools that offer financial aid must play in AAA or AAAA depending on the number of students they have.

or "you called me that".

AMEN to that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone has different experiences. Everyone has different perspectives. Because of that, most cant see the forrest for their own little trees. There in an innate unfairness in athletics. Some cannot deal with that. However, the unfairness of competition should happen on the field; one team will always have more talent, one team will always have better game plan, one team will be better coaches, one will have more heart. For any of these reasons and a lot more, ONE team will always win. The trouble we get into is when things happening OFF the field become the focus of competition.

There are two possible solutions. Either having only ONE classification where there is one state champion in every sport, or having a complete public private spilt. Since having one classification will be too unfair overall, the logical choice is a split.

However, we are handicapped by having an athletic administrative system that have proven over and over that it cant make decisions that are tough and fair. So now we have the same mess we have always had, and we have a brand spankinng new mercy rule that does nothing but to embarrass those who are the unwilling beneficiaries of it.

I will say it again, the best way to regulate the problem in Tennessee is to have 4 classifications in football, basketball & baseball. All private schools must play in AA, AAA or AAAA unless they are starting one of the three sports listed above. If small private school X wanted to start a football program they would be allowed to play in class A for one scheduling period to get their feet on the ground and to help them build a program. The schools that offer financial aid must play in AAA or AAAA depending on the number of students they have.

I think this is a reasonable solution.

I like that idea. It makes a whole lot of sense and I don't believe too many would be opposed to it.

If you zoned for private schools some might not have enough players to fill out rosters. I also wish they would go back to 2-year classification periods. There was an article in the paper just the other day that Rhea County has over 1,500 students, severely overcrowded, yet they'll be playing 4A football at least two more seasons. That should never happen.