Public's should not play private schools

That post was directed more towards antwan but the "rule" is that if you transfer to a private school (mid year or at anytime during your academic career? Can some check on that?) you must live within 20 miles of said private school to be eligible. So yes the Hillsboro kid would be eligible at MBA if he lived within 20 miles according to the information that I have been given.

If you transfer from one school to another...with a bona fide change of residence...you would have to move from one territory to another. In the Hillsboro case...you would have to move outside Hillsboro's zone...and closer to MBA...logically. All cases have to be approved by the director. That one might be a stretch.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly there has to be a bona fide change of residence, that means lights and other untilies completly off and the old residence and the whole family is living at the new one. That doesn't have to happen for a kid to go a private school.

That may be what it should be, but many times it is something different. I know from personal experience. If you think that public school students don't do a little bending of the rules, you haven't been around the same schools that I have.

That may be what it should be, but many times it is something different. I know from personal experience. If you think that public school students don't do a little bending of the rules, you haven't been around the same schools that I have.

There are certain things you have to do to leave a residence...and establish another. What school are you referring to?

Again tell me instance, transfer or not, when the 20 mile rule has been inforced. Rarely I would say.

Tell me a school system that does not have zones. Very few I would say.

And you keep saying some publics do this but the thing is that ALL privates are allowed to take any cat and dog that walks in.

There was a child that attended a private school in Davidson County, and wanted to transfer to Sycamore High School and continue to play athletics. The family did not move more than twenty miles away and the TSSAA informed them that the child was ineligible to play ball for one year. But a little later in the season, the child ended up being eligible after an appeal. I don't know the particular circumstances, but the twenty mile rule is enforced when the truth is told.

I'm not really sure what, exactly, you are asking about the "20-mile rule" but I have no doubt that if, tomorrow, the starting qb at Hillsboro HS decided to transfer to MBA (inside 20 miles) because his family moved closer to the campus, there is no way on earth the TSSAA would grant him eligibility to play without sitting out a year.

In my experience, we had 1 transfer into MBA--from Cheatam County, which probably is 20 miles+ from MBA (and thus should have made him instantly eligible) but he was required to sit out a year. That case probably predates the rule, however, and I don't know if his family actually moved outside of 20 miles inside 20 miles.

You are correct, the same thing happened at Father Ryan High School, a student transferred from Smyrna, it was less than twenty miles, she had to sit out varisty for one year, she was allowed to play JV.

You are correct, the same thing happened at Father Ryan High School, a student transferred from Smyrna, it was less than twenty miles, she had to sit out varisty for one year, she was allowed to play JV.

The rules used to not allow any public to private...or private to public without sitting a year out. It is still difficult to get approval.

There are certain things you have to do to leave a residence...and establish another. What school are you referring to?

Antwan, if you put your name on anyone's electric bill at their address in a particular county's school, you can still be living in your original county. With NES, it costs twenty dollars.You can get someone to put their rent bill in your name. NES covers electricity in several counties. There are a hundred ways to bend the rules in the public system and it goes on all the time. There are a lot of public schools that will assist you a little bit in this endeavor as well in telling you how to do it. Please everyone, don't assume that there is any less bending of the rules in publics than privates. And athletics is not the only reason this goes on, there are more shameful reasons as well. I personally know of public schools assisting you in what to write in an appeal letter to the TSSAA for that bird to fly. And yes, even the TSSAA will tell the school what they need to hear in an appeal letter. They are not a police force, don't have the time or manpower to do that. So it is easier than some people seem to think. I am not going to name any particular school, but I know for a fact it happens from some of my best and closest friends personal experiences.

The rules used to not allow any public to private...or private to public without sitting a year out. It is still difficult to get approval.

I think the TSSAA has been consistently strict on transfers for all sides, public and private. It seems as though the most egregious cases of harshness always involve a public to public transfer.

Again, your statistical analysis is not valid. You have crunched only the numbers you deem valid to your point. You have in no way taken into account all the factors as to WHY alcoa and maryville are more successful. You have only accounted that alcoa and maryville ARE more successful. Those number are easily verifiable without statistical analysis.

It is 100% valid. (I have a MS in Statistics with an emphasis in Data Mining and I do analyses such as these for businesses for a living.) The calculation is completely correct when comparing success rates of like programs. The previous statement from larry that you agreed with regarding Alcoa and Maryville's success was the lack of privates near their school systems. You even added the note about Nashville's issues. Even beyond that, there has been the suggestion that all publics are on the same level - meaning any other correlative factor is moot since they are "level".

I get tickled that you tossed out the "deviation" to argue to the point, but incorrectly used the term. The words you were really looking for are the ones the media actually uses slightly incorrectly - margin of error. Once my calculation was re-emphasized with the high level of confidence in the calculation, you still disregard it as fact - which all scientific communities would not disregard.

Why can't you admit that Alcoa and Maryville have to have some sort of inherent advantage over everyone (including privates)? Even when it is a statistical fact.

Publics with open zones are open only to those students within their county, or those who wish to pay out of county tuition. And, of course it is an advantage to those schools. But as a whole, publics generally don't have this advantage. All privates do.

That statement is incorrect. ALL publics have the ability to admit kids from anywhere. Whether is a classroom offering at one school within the county to another or a county that allows someone from out of county to attend, they ALL have the ability to make attendance rules as they see fit. The only real issue is the participation in sports issue. If a kid attend school in Maury County and participates in football and then is accepted to say Franklin High School the following year using a waiver - it is not illegal for the school to allow the student to attend if they allowed it and admitted him. From the TSSAA perspective, the student is a transfer without a bonafide change of residence and now must sit one calendar year from last participation at the previous school. He would then be eligible - nice and "legally". Publics do have the advantage - and some take advantage of it. Some don't.

Many kids and families would love to have a private school education. In areas like Nashville, private education in many ways is superior to what the public education is providing. Many families cannot afford a private education. But when a kid shows a certain level of talent in a certain sport, all of the sudden they gain the attention of a private. Lo and behold, now all of the sudden, the family can afford to send their kid to a private. These are the advantages I speak of. Many want a private education, but cant afford it until they show talent. And since there is no private zones, they can go just about anywhere and find athletes.

Now you are just talking about innuendo and I'm not even going to respond to a blanket statement like that.

Face it, the facts surrounding Alcoa and Maryville's dominance is there. Admitting it is half the problem! That was my afterschool special announcement for the day.

Antwan, if you put your name on anyone's electric bill at their address in a particular county's school, you can still be living in your original county. With NES, it costs twenty dollars.You can get someone to put their rent bill in your name. NES covers electricity in several counties. There are a hundred ways to bend the rules in the public system and it goes on all the time. There are a lot of public schools that will assist you a little bit in this endeavor as well in telling you how to do it. Please everyone, don't assume that there is any less bending of the rules in publics than privates. And athletics is not the only reason this goes on, there are more shameful reasons as well. I personally know of public schools assisting you in what to write in an appeal letter to the TSSAA for that bird to fly. And yes, even the TSSAA will tell the school what they need to hear in an appeal letter. They are not a police force, don't have the time or manpower to do that. So it is easier than some people seem to think. I am not going to name any particular school, but I know for a fact it happens from some of my best and closest friends personal experiences.

I think this would fall under...so they say. I hear of these things...recruiting...cheating...but nobody ever calls any names. Truth is...if what you say is true...they should

be turned in. You may call it bending...I call it cheating. Maybe the kid that transferred from McGavock to Gallatin was used to bending. He was caught...and Gallatin suffered the penalty.

I think the TSSAA has been consistently strict on transfers for all sides, public and private. It seems as though the most egregious cases of harshness always involve a public to public transfer.

Maybe, but I have a friend that had to jump through hoops for weeks following a transfer from private to public. It took two appeal letters and the parents and the public school pushing as hard as they could and finally the child was allowed to play sports. It also took a letter from the private school stating they did not have a problem with the child playing sports as well. This happened, is it the norm, I don't know.

I think this would fall under...so they say. I hear of these things...recruiting...cheating...but nobody ever calls any names. Truth is...if what you say is true...they should

be turned in. You may call it bending...I call it cheating. Maybe the kid that transferred from McGavock to Gallatin was used to bending. He was caught...and Gallatin suffered the penalty.

Maybe it is cheating. But to turn in one of your best friends, punish his child that had nothing to do with the transfer in the first place, just an innocent victim is not that easy. I don't know if you have children or not, but you might have a different perspective when that day comes and if it involves your child. Or you might be lucky and not ever have to deal with it. The transfer that I mentioned was not directly related to sports at all, it just so happened that the child played sports. I wonder if a transfer rule intended to guide sports really covers all situations as they might arise in people's lives. The shameful reasons that I mentioned earlier absolutely has nothing to do with sports. It is about going to a certain kind of public school with a certain kind of student body. Regretfully, this still occurs as well.