Public's should not play private schools

Now I'm even more confused. You posted,"there are definitely instances where a kid from one county goes to another county and plays in public schools, it is fairly rare" Then you followed up with this statement, "That is an opportunity that publics just don't have." So which is it? Public do pull from other counties or they don't?

As a rule, NO THEY DON'T. They have zones within the county. As with any rule, there have been some exceptions. However, this is pretty rare. If it were so easy to do, I'm sure large districts like Davidson County would have recruiters on their staff out scouring the surrounding counties to bring kids back. In 1970 Davidson had around 90,000 students. Guess how many they have now? mid 70s. Did the population drop? Nope, almost doubled in the span. Do you think is just a coincidence that since the court ruling in the late 60's the surrounding areas of Nashville and the privates within Davidson have exploded?

If a parent in county A wants to pay tuition to publc county B, then that student can go. I believe they have to go to TSSAA for a ruling on their athletic eligiblility.

AS A RULE, public have zones. PRIVATES DO NOT. I really don't understand why this is so difficult to understand. Again, this seems a very silly point that I had incorrectly assumed everyone already understood.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm even more confused. You posted,"there are definitely instances where a kid from one county goes to another county and plays in public schools, it is fairly rare" Then you followed up with this statement, "That is an opportunity that publics just don't have." So which is it? Public do pull from other counties or they don't?

As a rule, NO THEY DON'T. They have zones within the county. As with any rule, there have been some exceptions. However, this is pretty rare. If it were so easy to do, I'm sure large districts like Davidson County would have recruiters on their staff out scouring the surrounding counties to bring kids back. In 1970 Davidson had around 90,000 students. Guess how many they have now? mid 70s. Did the population drop? Nope, almost doubled in the span. Do you think is just a coincidence that since the court ruling in the late 60's the surrounding areas of Nashville and the privates within Davidson have exploded?

If a parent in county A wants to pay tuition to publc county B, then that student can go. I believe they have to go to TSSAA for a ruling on their athletic eligiblility.

AS A RULE, public have zones. PRIVATES DO NOT. I really don't understand why this is so difficult to understand. Again, this seems a very silly point that I had incorrectly assumed everyone already understood.

Got it. The rules state that both privates and publics can pull from other counties. Therefore, this is not an advantage to either, since both can do it.

So that makes your post, "Also, while there are definitely instances where a kid from one county goes to another county and plays in public schools, it is fairly rare. The point is that privates have the ability to get students (athletes) from other counties. That is an opportunity that publics just don't have. This leads to a disticnt and undisputable advantage.", as being inaccurate, since both can do it according to the rules.

Got it. The rules state that both privates and publics can pull from other counties. Therefore, this is not an advantage to either, since both can do it.

So that makes your post, "Also, while there are definitely instances where a kid from one county goes to another county and plays in public schools, it is fairly rare. The point is that privates have the ability to get students (athletes) from other counties. That is an opportunity that publics just don't have. This leads to a disticnt and undisputable advantage.", as being inaccurate, since both can do it according to the rules.

Not true. Please show me that rule.

A student has to request a waiver or exemption from the rule in the case I gave as an example. He has to be given permission by TSSAA to break the rule based on some special circumstance.

And answer this question for me; what is CPA's zone?

They dont have one. Period. That is an advantage, distinct and undisputable.

Not true. Please show me that rule.

A student has to request a waiver or exemption from the rule in the case I gave as an example. He has to be given permission by TSSAA to break the rule based on some special circumstance.

And answer this question for me; what is CPA's zone?

They dont have one. Period. That is an advantage, distinct and undisputable.

I didn't mention a rule, you did.

I didn't mention any school, I was asking questions to the threads that you have posted.

Either publics can or cannot pull from other zones, or counties. I'm asking which is true, because in one of your postings you have said that they can, then in the very next sentence you said,"an opportunity that publics just don't have".

You give an example of one student being able to do it, so therefore publics can pull from other zones or counties. Therefore no advantage.

I'm sorry if this is confusing, but I'm using your postings.

Come on, bro, you know there is a lot more to it. You even said that better baseball players are attracted to CB because of the winning tradition. Better iplayers are just better. I seen some of the laziest kids get drafted and a kid that works his heart out cant get a look for even a small college. Work helps, and makes good athletes better, but great ones get even better with hard work.

true. and i completely agree with your point that some of the hardest working high school athletes dont even get looks from small div. 2 colleges/universities for whatever reason.

Wow,,,, how inspiring! Did you just read sports cliche 101????

no. but i did graduate from a private school which just so happens to compete with the likes of BA, MBA, McCallie, etc. year in and year out without complaining. competition breeds excellence (competing each week in the Super 7)....just like winning attracts athletes. BUT to win, you must work. granted, there are some high school athletes that are extremely gifted, naturally, though they are few and far between. thats all im

robjim, backintn stated that AS A RULE (again keywords) publics have zones. Yes there are instances where a student does not live in the zone that a school is assigned. One close to home for me is a football player from Obion Co is transfering to Dyersburg because his father took a position at that school. So yes publics getting a kid that is not zoned does happen but AS A RULE they have zones, privates do not. I would dare to say privates have far more students that would not be zoned to them (i.e. living in Rutherford Co and going to a private in Davidson Co) than a public getting a kid out of thier zone (i.e. living in Obion Co and going to Dyersburg in Dyer Co).

And the whole thing about working harder, ok we get it. That is normally the only thing a private supporter on here says. But when someone has such a major advantage it does not matter how hard you work. That is like telling some bum on the street that if he lifts weights everyday and does nothing but hit baseballs all day long that he could hit the ball as far as someone who is on steriods. (Don't get your panties in a wad and reply about me comparing going to a private school to taking steriods. Only cheating example that I could think of at the moment). Now I am also not saying that privates do nothing but sit around all day long and do not work hard. I know of personally a family that attends a private school near where I am from and they do nothing but practice at their sport that they play. They work hard and deserve everything that they get. But at the same time it isn't fair that some schools get to almost (another keyword) hand pick who plays for them while others have to play with the hand that they are dealt.

I do know of several students that go from Rutherford to privates in Davidson. However, since obviously people are pretty satisfied with education in Rutherford, hence no privates, why would they go to Nashville? I don't know personally of any that go to Williamson county privates. I don't know whether or not the knox privates have Blount co athletes playing for them. I'm sure, over the years, it has happened at some level. Knox public schools dont seem to have as negative a reputation as Davidson. It is an easy line of logic to understand that since there are only the 4 privates you mention. Davidson has dozens. Since there are so few in Knox, there may be no reason for those privates to go into Blount Co. The popup privates in Nashville are there because of dissatisfaction with the public system.

There is a relatively large contingent of students that go to BA from Rutherford County. It was enought (and the trip is long enough) that the parents have worked together to provide a daily shuttle service. While they all participate in athletics to some degree (everyone in the school takes P.E. daily), to my knowledge, none of them are big time athletes. They are choosing to come to BA at this point because the school is offering something that they can't (yet) find in Rutherford County

I didn't mention a rule, you did.

I didn't mention any school, I was asking questions to the threads that you have posted.

Either publics can or cannot pull from other zones, or counties. I'm asking which is true, because in one of your postings you have said that they can, then in the very next sentence you said,"an opportunity that publics just don't have".

You give an example of one student being able to do it, so therefore publics can pull from other zones or counties. Therefore no advantage.

I'm sorry if this is confusing, but I'm using your postings.

I'm not confused at all, but you certainly are in your interpretation of my postings.

You said "the rule states" I said AS A RULE (not "the rule"). Quite a big difference. Quite a big advantage for those that can pull kids from all over. Reference jvaughn's posting. There's a good explaination there, since you are not getting mine. However, it appears you are being argumentative for the sake of argument. You know better than most that privates offer advantages that publics don't. Thats why you sent your kids there.

You didnt answer my question...what is CPA's ZONE? And let me add another question. What public ZONE do you live in? Your kids were zoned to a public. You chose to not send them there. You sent them to a school that has no zone.

There is a relatively large contingent of students that go to BA from Rutherford County. It was enought (and the trip is long enough) that the parents have worked together to provide a daily shuttle service. While they all participate in athletics to some degree (everyone in the school takes P.E. daily), to my knowledge, none of them are big time athletes. They are choosing to come to BA at this point because the school is offering something that they can't (yet) find in Rutherford County

I would like to know what you mean by "relatively large." Even if it were 100 kids out of Rutherford (which I don't believe to be the case), it in no way compares to the numbers out of Metro that go to any one of the dozens of publics. Most people dont realize, and i have stated it before, in Nashville, prior to the court mandated desagregation, there were over 90,000 students. Guess how many today? low to mid 70's. Has Nashville gotten smaller? Of course not. Its almost doubled in size since that time. The Rughterford county loss of students to privates can in no way be compared to Nashville.

CPA has kids from Davidson, Williamson and Cheatham that I know about.

I find it ironic that Larry from Shelbyville of all places would be asking how many counties CPA gets students from but maybe that's just me.

Who could be more of an expert on recruiting than someone from Shelbyville? And, no, I didn't approve.

I'm not confused at all, but you certainly are in your interpretation of my postings.

You said "the rule states" I said AS A RULE (not "the rule"). Quite a big difference. Quite a big advantage for those that can pull kids from all over. Reference jvaughn's posting. There's a good explaination there, since you are not getting mine. However, it appears you are being argumentative for the sake of argument. You know better than most that privates offer advantages that publics don't. Thats why you sent your kids there.

You didnt answer my question...what is CPA's ZONE? And let me add another question. What public ZONE do you live in? Your kids were zoned to a public. You chose to not send them there. You sent them to a school that has no zone.

I sorry, it is your postings that appear to be confusing, not you. You stated.....sorry...your postings said two different things(see my previous post for the ones that are confusing). Your postings said the publics and privates both can pull students from other zones or counties. Then your postings said that privates could, but publics couldn't. Which posting is the correct one?