Public's should not play private schools

They have somewhat. Wasn't Tito Lee from Murfreesboro? There have been others from Rutherford County that went to BA.

Not enough, it appears, to cause a drop off in results in Rutherford Co. Guess all of the privates here in Metro-Nashville/Williamson Co. better start working harder and correct this glaring oversite.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, in the BA case thread you said,"A lot of what you say is true, but a public has to work with what they are handed. A private can go look for what they want/need. That is an advantage no matter what. Publics don't have a larger pool, they have a larger school. Because of zoning, their pool is very limited. A private has a pool that can cover several counties."

If your statement is true, then explain why the 4 Knox Co. privates haven't "raided" the Blount Co. athletes.

If your statement is true, then explain why the 15+ Davidson Co./ Williamson Co. privates haven't "raided" the Rutherford Co. athletes.

I do know of several students that go from Rutherford to privates in Davidson. However, since obviously people are pretty satisfied with education in Rutherford, hence no privates, why would they go to Nashville? I don't know personally of any that go to Williamson county privates. I don't know whether or not the knox privates have Blount co athletes playing for them. I'm sure, over the years, it has happened at some level. Knox public schools dont seem to have as negative a reputation as Davidson. It is an easy line of logic to understand that since there are only the 4 privates you mention. Davidson has dozens. Since there are so few in Knox, there may be no reason for those privates to go into Blount Co. The popup privates in Nashville are there because of dissatisfaction with the public system.

Not enough, it appears, to cause a drop off in results in Rutherford Co. Guess all of the privates here in Metro-Nashville/Williamson Co. better start working harder and correct this glaring oversite.

How much is enough? Is that your measure of a privates success; to keep publics from succeeding? The privates seem to be doing well enough getting their athletes mainly from Nashville.

How much is enough? Is that your measure of a privates success; to keep publics from succeeding? The privates seem to be doing well enough getting their athletes mainly from Nashville.

Yet, in your post in the BA thread, you said that privates pull from "a pool of several counties", hence one of their advantages. Now you are saying that privates(I assume the middle TN ones), "doing well enough getting their athletes mainly from Nashville". I'm confused by the two statements you've made.

That there are no private schools in Blount County and only four in Knox County, three of which are church-affiliated. Alcoa and Maryville get to keep their athletes.

Of course, athletics aside, Alcoa and Maryville are also regarded as two of the top school systems in the state as well. Why would parents send their kids to a private school when they have a top notch public school system?

Knox Co........that is a different story. The only bigger circus I can think of is Jackson-Madison Co. for size and ridiculousness.

Yet, in your post in the BA thread, you said that privates pull from "a pool of several counties", hence one of their advantages. Now you are saying that privates(I assume the middle TN ones), "doing well enough getting their athletes mainly from Nashville". I'm confused by the two statements you've made.

I'm sorry you are confused.

Mainly does not mean all. A few from here, a few from there. In the Nashville area, a few more from Nashville.

This seems a little silly to be disputing.

Also, while there are definitely instances where a kid from one county goes to another county and plays in public schools, it is fairly rare. The point is that privates have the ability to get students (athletes) from other counties. That is an opportunity that publics just don't have. This leads to a disticnt and undisputable advantage.

How many counties does CPA have students from? Only Williamson and Davidson, with 12% of Tennessee's population and 180,000 kids under the age of 18? Are there others?

The fact that it is 35 miles from Nashville to Murfreesboro might have something to do with it.

How many counties does CPA have students from? Only Williamson and Davidson, with 12% of Tennessee's population and 180,000 kids under the age of 18? Are there others?

CPA has kids from Davidson, Williamson and Cheatham that I know about.

I find it ironic that Larry from Shelbyville of all places would be asking how many counties CPA gets students from but maybe that's just me.

I'm sorry you are confused.

Mainly does not mean all. A few from here, a few from there. In the Nashville area, a few more from Nashville.

This seems a little silly to be disputing.

Also, while there are definitely instances where a kid from one county goes to another county and plays in public schools, it is fairly rare. The point is that privates have the ability to get students (athletes) from other counties. That is an opportunity that publics just don't have. This leads to a disticnt and undisputable advantage.

Now I'm even more confused. You posted,"there are definitely instances where a kid from one county goes to another county and plays in public schools, it is fairly rare" Then you followed up with this statement, "That is an opportunity that publics just don't have." So which is it? Public do pull from other counties or they don't?

larry, I think Bighurt is correct. Since my last child gratuated from CPA in 99, I'm not on the mailing list for the school address book. Bighurt's comment does reflect the church's population. In my opinion, one of the big factors in determining who attends CPA is Nashville traffic. Trying to get your child to the school in the morning, driving back home or to the office, coming back to pick them up and then driving home is a big problem here in Nashville. IMHO.

larry, I think Bighurt is correct. Since my last child gratuated from CPA in 99, I'm not on the mailing list for the school address book. Bighurt's comment does reflect the church's population. In my opinion, one of the big factors in determining who attends CPA is Nashville traffic. Trying to get your child to the school in the morning, driving back home or to the office, coming back to pick them up and then driving home is a big problem here in Nashville. IMHO.

I know that would be a factor for me. I hate Nashville traffic.