Public's should not play private schools

That there are no private schools in Blount County and only four in Knox County, three of which are church-affiliated. Alcoa and Maryville get to keep their athletes.

Let me poke holes in your argument (not trying to be a bootyhead here). So your hypothesis is that because there are no private schools in Blount Co and only four privates in Knox County results in Alcoa and Maryville's dominance.

That doesn't hold water or as they say in the industry I work in - that is not statistically significant. Those two schools have won an overwhelmingly disproportionate number of championships compared to like schools. For like schools, I can use all the other counties that immediately surround Knox Co (since that is your hypothesis). That is Loudon, Roane, Anderson, Union, Grainger, Jefferson, and Sevier. Can you name one single school that has won more than 1 state football championship in the last 10 years from those counties? Alcoa has won 4 and Maryville has won 7.

To add to my point, lets use the other Blount Co. public schools since by your hypothesis it is the proximity to Knox Co and lack of privates. This takes it one step further as the following schools are within the county and some within miles from either the Maryville or Alcoa campus. Those schools are William Blount and Heritage. As far as I know, neither has even won more than one region championship (if any at all) over the last 10 years. And using some of the arguments that some use against privates, they have wider nets to cast in order to attract students.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me poke holes in your argument (not trying to be a bootyhead here). So your hypothesis is that because there are no private schools in Blount Co and only four privates in Knox County results in Alcoa and Maryville's dominance.

That doesn't hold water or as they say in the industry I work in - that is not statistically significant. Those two schools have won an overwhelmingly disproportionate number of championships compared to like schools. For like schools, I can use all the other counties that immediately surround Knox Co (since that is your hypothesis). That is Loudon, Roane, Anderson, Union, Grainger, Jefferson, and Sevier. Can you name one single school that has won more than 1 state football championship in the last 10 years from those counties? Alcoa has won 4 and Maryville has won 7.

To add to my point, lets use the other Blount Co. public schools since by your hypothesis it is the proximity to Knox Co and lack of privates. This takes it one step further as the following schools are within the county and some within miles from either the Maryville or Alcoa campus. Those schools are William Blount and Heritage. As far as I know, neither has even won more than one region championship (if any at all) over the last 10 years. And using some of the arguments that some use against privates, they have wider nets to cast in order to attract students.

The comment was made in the Public-Private forum so the answer was given in the same context. Yes, Alcoa and Maryville have great traditions, great coaching staffs, etc. and the fact that they are able to keep their athletes as opposed to other schools in other areas who must compete with private schools for those athletes, they are able to take full advantage of that tradition and those coaches. By the way, since they are in the same county with William Blount and Heritage then they fall under the same zoning rules which comes back to tradition and coaching.

The comment was made in the Public-Private forum so the answer was given in the same context. Yes, Alcoa and Maryville have great traditions, great coaching staffs, etc. and the fact that they are able to keep their athletes as opposed to other schools in other areas who must compete with private schools for those athletes, they are able to take full advantage of that tradition and those coaches. By the way, since they are in the same county with William Blount and Heritage then they fall under the same zoning rules which comes back to tradition and coaching.

There are many, many schools with great traditions and coaches. DB, Oak Ridge, Milan, Huntingdon, etc all have those things and all aren't relatively close to large numbers of privates such as in Nashville. And NONE have won 4 and 7 state championships within a 10 year span ever.

And your comment about their zoning is not accurate either. Alcoa and Maryville in theory should have a more narrow selection of students. Both Alcoa and Maryville operate independently of the Blount County school system and are city school systems (which is rare in TN for high schools to be part of a city school district). William Blount and Heritage are both in the county school system that actually covers the city areas of Maryville and Alcoa. So in essence, they are larger. Would you venture to guess why they can't compete with Alcoa and Maryville?

Your argument still doesn't hold water. Not even an eyedropper full.

robjim, backintn stated that AS A RULE (again keywords) publics have zones. Yes there are instances where a student does not live in the zone that a school is assigned. One close to home for me is a football player from Obion Co is transfering to Dyersburg because his father took a position at that school. So yes publics getting a kid that is not zoned does happen but AS A RULE they have zones, privates do not. I would dare to say privates have far more students that would not be zoned to them (i.e. living in Rutherford Co and going to a private in Davidson Co) than a public getting a kid out of thier zone (i.e. living in Obion Co and going to Dyersburg in Dyer Co).

And the whole thing about working harder, ok we get it. That is normally the only thing a private supporter on here says. But when someone has such a major advantage it does not matter how hard you work. That is like telling some bum on the street that if he lifts weights everyday and does nothing but hit baseballs all day long that he could hit the ball as far as someone who is on steriods. (Don't get your panties in a wad and reply about me comparing going to a private school to taking steriods. Only cheating example that I could think of at the moment). Now I am also not saying that privates do nothing but sit around all day long and do not work hard. I know of personally a family that attends a private school near where I am from and they do nothing but practice at their sport that they play. They work hard and deserve everything that they get. But at the same time it isn't fair that some schools get to almost (another keyword) hand pick who plays for them while others have to play with the hand that they are dealt.

J, so there are instances, where public students move, transfer, get assigned from one zone/county to another. Kinda sounds like being a little pregnant.

J, I never mentioned anything about a public having to work harder. I said the privates are going to have to work harder.

I seem to notice a thread throughout this thread.

Again, kinda sounds like being almost (another keyword)a little pregnant.

Why don't Alcoa and Maryville have to compete with the privates in Knox Co.?

Are the privates not working hard enough?

There is a relatively large contingent of students that go to BA from Rutherford County. It was enought (and the trip is long enough) that the parents have worked together to provide a daily shuttle service. While they all participate in athletics to some degree (everyone in the school takes P.E. daily), to my knowledge, none of them are big time athletes. They are choosing to come to BA at this point because the school is offering something that they can't (yet) find in Rutherford County

Actually, one is a very good soccer player. I believe she made all-midstate this year. Wouldn't want her feelings to get hurt!!

Of course, athletics aside, Alcoa and Maryville are also regarded as two of the top school systems in the state as well. Why would parents send their kids to a private school when they have a top notch public school system?

Knox Co........that is a different story. The only bigger circus I can think of is Jackson-Madison Co. for size and ridiculousness.

thank you for pointing this out. alcoa and maryville are city school systems within the county. much like oak ridge is a city school system within anderson county and dedicate means to the academic side of things that will encourage parents to keep their children in the public school system. I think that makes a difference in the transfers to private schools.

for the record, I don't want to see the split b/c I'd rather we are beaten by the best team that day then ever win a championship in a system that we have to wonder if we could have still won if the private schools were our competition.

thank you for pointing this out. alcoa and maryville are city school systems within the county. much like oak ridge is a city school system within anderson county and dedicate means to the academic side of things that will encourage parents to keep their children in the public school system. I think that makes a difference in the transfers to private schools.

for the record, I don't want to see the split b/c I'd rather we are beaten by the best team that day then ever win a championship in a system that we have to wonder if we could have still won if the private schools were our competition.

You can wonder the same of all classes you are not in.

I sorry, it is your postings that appear to be confusing, not you. You stated.....sorry...your postings said two different things(see my previous post for the ones that are confusing). Your postings said the publics and privates both can pull students from other zones or counties. Then your postings said that privates could, but publics couldn't. Which posting is the correct one?

Oh...my...gosh. Talk about beating a dead horse. This is the last time I will post about this nitpicky insignificant point that you keep coming back to. There are rare instances where a public kids goes from one zone to another. It is rare and must be approved by TSSAA athletically for the kid to be eligible. Kids must play at their zoned school unless there is some circumstance that prevents that. TSSAA must approve that circumstance, or the kid doesnt play.

You still have not answered my question. What are the CPA zone boundaries? You seem to be leaving that one alone bacause you know the truth. No zone=advantage. Publics occassionally and rarely have students from outside their zone as an exception. Privates, as a rule, have all of their students from no zone at all and can cover multiple counties.

Why don't Alcoa and Maryville have to compete with the privates in Knox Co.?

Are the privates not working hard enough?

As of yet, they are not offering anything that will entice enough public students (athletes) to come. Everyone keeps jumping on working hard. Bull. Its about talent. You have to have it to win. Yes, hard work is important, but as one of my great coaches used to say back in my playing years, "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

If a private choses, they can go out to anywhere that is reasonably proximate to their school and woo a talented player. A few of these is all it takes to take a average team to a very good team. After a short period of time, very good can become great.

Ensworth is about to prove that. Watch them this year and next in basketball. Football will happen pretty quickly too. And this is for a very new, young school. Publics usually take years and years to build successful years because they have to develop the talent that walks through the door and are at the mercy of what athletes happen to live in their zone.

Privates go get theirs.

Come on, PB, you're kidding, right?

If a public has a winning tradition, some kids and families will be attracted to that school. If they are top notch academically, then the attraction is even greater. Families have moved to be able to attend schools. Schools with better coaching, better traditions, better academics, are going to attract better, period. That is the whole premise of privates (build better, offer better, etc). The difference is that privates can do it without the restraint of zones, and they don't require families to move to get them in their school. If there are limited privates to make that attraction to the public students, the the publics athletic pool stays intact, and the athletes are not spread out over multiple privates and multiple publics. So you end up with very strong publics that are strong year in and year out. If the privates had more to offer in that area, or perhaps were more willing to work around the rules as some have been accused of in other areas, then they would improve, and the eventual loss of talent from the publics would reflect in the public programs success.

Oh...my...gosh. Talk about beating a dead horse. This is the last time I will post about this nitpicky insignificant point that you keep coming back to. There are rare instances where a public kids goes from one zone to another. It is rare and must be approved by TSSAA athletically for the kid to be eligible. Kids must play at their zoned school unless there is some circumstance that prevents that. TSSAA must approve that circumstance, or the kid doesnt play.

You still have not answered my question. What are the CPA zone boundaries? You seem to be leaving that one alone bacause you know the truth. No zone=advantage. Publics occassionally and rarely have students from outside their zone as an exception. Privates, as a rule, have all of their students from no zone at all and can cover multiple counties.

So it does happen. Then your post I've been questioning was wrong. That is what you're saying, that you were wrong?

I will give you the courtesy of anwering your question, when you give me the courtesy of answering mine.