Public's should not play private schools

If you move and live in a different zone from where you estabilished your eligibility, the TSSAA cares very much. Its not allowed for you to continue to play in your old zone, when you live in a new one. Also, you made my point exactly, there is no zone for privates, you dont have to live within any radius of a private to go there. Advantage for privates.

Dang...have you ever talked to someone and realize there's nobody home? I'm probably more public school than anyone else in coacht history. The 20 mile radius thing is new. Yeah...it will be enforced. Okay...here's the deal. FOR TRANSFER PURPOSES...a public school's territory is the bus route zone. For private schools...it's a 20 mile radius. You don't have to live within 20 miles to go to a private. Some public schools are not zoned...or they allow out of zone kids that pay tuition.

Again tell me instance, transfer or not, when the 20 mile rule has been inforced. Rarely I would say.Tell me a school system that does not have zones. Very few I would say.And you keep saying some publics do this but the thing is that ALL privates are allowed to take any cat and dog that walks in.

Smith County is not zoned. We have two high schools...and any kid in Smith County can attend either. We do not accept out of county kids anymore...so...in a sense...that is our zone.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great quote here that makes my point for me, "So they can't just go out and get whoever they want. They can accept whoever wants to come them, regardless of zone." That is something that a public can not do "accept whoever wants to come to them". If Student A is zoned to Public School A and wants to attend wants to attend Public School B, unless he falls under one of many rules he can not. Now if student A wants to attend Private school C that is three counites away, they only thing that he has to do is come up with tuition to attend.

And like backintn has said, when has a 20 mile rule been enforced. That is a load of crap if anybody thinks that rule is working.

If a person at public school A wants to attend public school B, he/she moves into the zone of public school b, and then by law he/she has to attend public school b. No tuition required.

I have in no way taken away any privates ability to be a model of excellence. Only pointed out that because of certain things, they have an easier way of becoming taht model of excellence.

What "certain things" would those be? An open zone like Alcoa and Maryville? I'm curious as to what those certain things are. Please be specific.

Your statistical analysis does not take into account the intangibles of athletics. Since there is no was to make accurate allowances for that, your deviation will be huge, thus your analysis will be tremendously off. What is your +/- for deviation?

A standard deviation of 1.96 was used meaning that the confidence level for the threhold for statistical significance is set at 95% - the scientific community's definition of statistical signficance. That means that all doubt is removed and there is a significant difference between the control and test group. Both Alcoa and Maryville are significantly different with Maryville actually pushing the limit at 99.9%.

If kids are coming from two counties away to alcoa or maryville, this needs to be reported.

Why does it need to be reported? It isn't against the rules for them. But it is a major "issue" stated by public supporters as to why they think privates have an advantage. I'm just calling attention to the fact that there are 2 schools that are more dominant that any other school in the state (statistically without a doubt) and they have the same "advantage", but no public supporter is screaming unfair or cheaters. Why is that?

Publics and privates alilke find ways around rules. However, it is a much easier task for the privates to do so, not have the constraint of zoning.

Again, Alcoa and Maryville don't have constraints. Actually, any public school can let in any child that wants to attend if they so chose to.

However, we are not talking about rule breakers, we all know they exist on both sides of the debate. With the way zoning works, there is an innate advantage for privates. Do you really think that the atheletically successful privates would be as successful if they were restricted to a certain area where they can get their athletes from? Be honest.

Honestly, yes. Take Friendships run in all sports last year. All the kids on the football team lived with a 20 mile radius except for one - a FB. All the basketball players were from Wilson County and with most living with 10 miles of the school. I could go on and on.

Your academic career sounds similar to mine. I have been in both. I have worked in both. I have a very similar perspective, but a different opinion and understanding of the situation.

Isn't our country great! Freedom to believe the things we want to believe. Although, I think you are completely wrong - just kidding.

Dang...have you ever talked to someone and realize there's nobody home? I'm probably more public school than anyone else in coacht history.

The 20 mile radius thing is new. Yeah...it will be enforced.

Okay...here's the deal. FOR TRANSFER PURPOSES...a public school's territory is the bus route zone. For private schools...it's a 20 mile radius.

You don't have to live within 20 miles to go to a private. Some public schools are not zoned...or they allow out of zone kids that pay tuition.

But you brought up the 20 mile radius when we were not talking about transfers. We were talking about the lack of zones for privates versus zones for publics. Most kids that go to a private after being in a public go their 9th grade year. This is not a transfer. A private school can get a 9th grader from anywhere. A public generally can only get them from their zone.

Dang...have you ever talked to someone and realize there's nobody home? I'm probably more public school than anyone else in coacht history. The 20 mile radius thing is new. Yeah...it will be enforced. Okay...here's the deal. FOR TRANSFER PURPOSES...a public school's territory is the bus route zone. For private schools...it's a 20 mile radius. You don't have to live within 20 miles to go to a private. Some public schools are not zoned...or they allow out of zone kids that pay tuition.Smith County is not zoned. We have two high schools...and any kid in Smith County can attend either. We do not accept out of county kids anymore...so...in a sense...that is our zone.

Trust me I get that feeling everyday on here.

Yeah I understand that it is a transfer rule. Again tell me when that has been enforced regardless of how new it is.

So you don't have a zone but you don't accept kids outside of your county? There is no "in a sense.... that is our zone" you have a zone if you only accept kids inside of your county. Now the thing with having two high schools and they can go to either is another bag of worms that needs to be fixed.

If a person at public school A wants to attend public school B, he/she moves into the zone of public school b, and then by law he/she has to attend public school b. No tuition required.

Exactly there has to be a bona fide change of residence, that means lights and other untilies completly off and the old residence and the whole family is living at the new one. That doesn't have to happen for a kid to go a private school.

Yeah I understand that it is a transfer rule. Again tell me when that has been enforced regardless of how new it is.

Please see Friendship Christian School located in Lebanon, TN. There have been roughly 10 kids sit out in various sports including football and baseball over the last few years. They've ALL forfeited an entire academic year of eligibility from their last day of participation at a previous school. (Funny enough, that little guy is green!)

So you don't have a zone but you don't accept kids outside of your county? There is no "in a sense.... that is our zone" you have a zone if you only accept kids inside of your county. Now the thing with having two high schools and they can go to either is another bag of worms that needs to be fixed.

I'm not really sure what, exactly, you are asking about the "20-mile rule" but I have no doubt that if, tomorrow, the starting qb at Hillsboro HS decided to transfer to MBA (inside 20 miles) because his family moved closer to the campus, there is no way on earth the TSSAA would grant him eligibility to play without sitting out a year.

In my experience, we had 1 transfer into MBA--from Cheatam County, which probably is 20 miles+ from MBA (and thus should have made him instantly eligible) but he was required to sit out a year. That case probably predates the rule, however, and I don't know if his family actually moved outside of 20 miles inside 20 miles.

What "certain things" would those be? An open zone like Alcoa and Maryville? I'm curious as to what those certain things are. Please be specific.

A standard deviation of 1.96 was used meaning that the confidence level for the threhold for statistical significance is set at 95% - the scientific community's definition of statistical signficance. That means that all doubt is removed and there is a significant difference between the control and test group. Both Alcoa and Maryville are significantly different with Maryville actually pushing the limit at 99.9%.

Why does it need to be reported? It isn't against the rules for them. But it is a major "issue" stated by public supporters as to why they think privates have an advantage. I'm just calling attention to the fact that there are 2 schools that are more dominant that any other school in the state (statistically without a doubt) and they have the same "advantage", but no public supporter is screaming unfair or cheaters. Why is that?

Again, Alcoa and Maryville don't have constraints. Actually, any public school can let in any child that wants to attend if they so chose to.

Honestly, yes. Take Friendships run in all sports last year. All the kids on the football team lived with a 20 mile radius except for one - a FB. All the basketball players were from Wilson County and with most living with 10 miles of the school. I could go on and on.

Isn't our country great! Freedom to believe the things we want to believe. Although, I think you are completely wrong - just kidding.

Again, your statistical analysis is not valid. You have crunched only the numbers you deem valid to your point. You have in no way taken into account all the factors as to WHY alcoa and maryville are more successful. You have only accounted that alcoa and maryville ARE more successful. Those number are easily verifiable without statistical analysis.

Publics with open zones are open only to those students within their county, or those who wish to pay out of county tuition. And, of course it is an advantage to those schools. But as a whole, publics generally don't have this advantage. All privates do.

Many kids and families would love to have a private school education. In areas like Nashville, private education in many ways is superior to what the public education is providing. Many families cannot afford a private education. But when a kid shows a certain level of talent in a certain sport, all of the sudden they gain the attention of a private. Lo and behold, now all of the sudden, the family can afford to send their kid to a private. These are the advantages I speak of. Many want a private education, but cant afford it until they show talent. And since there is no private zones, they can go just about anywhere and find athletes.

Please see Friendship Christian School located in Lebanon, TN. There have been roughly 10 kids sit out in various sports including football and baseball over the last few years. They've ALL forfeited an entire academic year of eligibility from their last day of participation at a previous school. (Funny enough, that little guy is green!)

Glad to see it has worked. Once.

Didn't get the little green man joke.

I'm not really sure what, exactly, you are asking about the "20-mile rule" but I have no doubt that if, tomorrow, the starting qb at Hillsboro HS decided to transfer to MBA (inside 20 miles) because his family moved closer to the campus, there is no way on earth the TSSAA would grant him eligibility to play without sitting out a year.

In my experience, we had 1 transfer into MBA--from Cheatam County, which probably is 20 miles+ from MBA (and thus should have made him instantly eligible) but he was required to sit out a year. That case probably predates the rule, however, and I don't know if his family actually moved outside of 20 miles inside 20 miles.

That post was directed more towards antwan but the "rule" is that if you transfer to a private school (mid year or at anytime during your academic career? Can some check on that?) you must live within 20 miles of said private school to be eligible. So yes the Hillsboro kid would be eligible at MBA if he lived within 20 miles according to the information that I have been given.

It's difficult to enforce a rule that wasn't there. Now that a private school territory (and public for that matter) has been defined...yes...it will be enforced. You tell me an

instance where it hasn't. There have been a couple of cases of kids ruled ineligible for an illegal transfer. Gallatin and Milan had to forfeit games just in the last couple of

years.

We are pretty much zoned by our rural location. That's true with most small rural schools. Putnam County is a larger county that isn't zoned either. They have one large

school (Cookeville) and two small schools in Upperman and Monterey. You can live anywhere in Putnam County and attend any school. I agree that should be fixed.

Alcoa and Maryville are the ones that really take advantage of tuition paying out of zone kids. I think any open zone public school has the same advantage as small privates.