Tennessee High vs. Dobyns-Bennett

Thats how its gone for DB. IF they can field any simblence of a team then they are favored in the weak region. Same for THS. Their 2A move-up region is going to see THS or South win it most any year. Maybe because they're good but most likely because the region is so weak. Notice what happens to both these regions in the playoffs. THS has made the semis once in 30+ years and DB just chokes every year.

That’s not really a fair statement. Every region has two or three teams that are always their representation and the rest would be considered week no matter what region they are in. So what region would you consider strong and why?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats how its gone for DB. IF they can field any simblence of a team then they are favored in the weak region. Same for THS. Their 2A move-up region is going to see THS or South win it most any year. Maybe because they're good but most likely because the region is so weak. Notice what happens to both these regions in the playoffs. THS has made the semis once in 30+ years and DB just chokes every year.

In the past 10 years, D-B's playoff exits have consisted of: 3 first round losses, 1 second round loss, 3 quarter final losses, and 3 semi final losses...besides Riverdale, find another 5A school to match that level of choking...

Roll Tribe Roll

wow! I didn't know. I failed recursive nerdism.

I guess those teachers were preoccupied with trivial matters such as correct spelling and real words.

3, you know I'm just kidding with you. In a previous post, you predicted DB to win by at least 21. Do you think Dobyns-Bennett will accomplish that with the passing game? Do you believe they'll win the Big East?

I guess those teachers were preoccupied with trivial matters such as correct spelling and real words.

3, you know I'm just kidding with you. In a previous post, you predicted DB to win by at least 21. Do you think Dobyns-Bennett will accomplish that with the passing game? Do you believe they'll win the Big East?

Don't count on him replying with any intelligent life.(beam me up Scottie)It is crazy down here!

In the past 10 years, D-B's playoff exits have consisted of: 3 first round losses, 1 second round loss, 3 quarter final losses, and 3 semi final losses...besides Riverdale, find another 5A school to match that level of choking...

Roll Tribe Roll

I'm not sure it's the playoff losses alone that outsiders and even some insiders parlay into saying that the Indians are chokers. It's two reasons. Year in and year out there is a talk of "this is the year". Then they are ranked #1 almost every year only to lose in the playoffs and never win a state championship on the field. Some would call it the "Atlanta Braves Syndrome". Even a lot of D-B fans themselves are tired of it. Just read these boards after they lose every year in the playoffs. Same thing every year. It's Clark's fault, blah blah blah. Also, a lot of us are just angry cause we haven't beaten you since the Eisenhower administration!

Back to the thread topic: D-B 27 T.High 13

Roll Tribe Roll

Some of the early exits were not always choking, DB simply was an overated team. One year a crazy play (punt @ Riverdale), other years one man beats them. It is the the DB name, a good record by playing smaller schools, along with an early lose that gives them the title of choker. DB 21 TN H 7 all scores coming on long runs or busted plays. No drive over 30 yards.

Some of the early exits were not always choking, DB simply was an overated team. One year a crazy play (punt @ Riverdale), other years one man beats them. It is the the DB name, a good record by playing smaller schools, along with an early lose that gives them the title of choker. DB 21 TN H 7 all scores coming on long runs or busted plays. No drive over 30 yards.

You need to get out more. I don't think "you" have ever had a drive over 30 yards.

The punt at Riverdale was in the semi-finals, thus was not an early exit...there were three 1st round losses in 10 years, those would be early exits...semi-finals (also 3 times in 10 years) would not...which of the 5A schools in Knoxville and east of Knoxville don't play smaller schools?

Roll Tribe Roll

The punt at Riverdale was in the semi-finals, thus was not an early exit...there were three 1st round losses in 10 years, those would be early exits...semi-finals (also 3 times in 10 years) would not...which of the 5A schools in Knoxville and east of Knoxville don't play smaller schools? Roll Tribe Roll

Hey Pepe, I didnt say they were chokers and I know when the punt was (on the home team side and the player later played at Gate City). And yes the 10-0 record made up of some smaller schools does promote the theory that DB chokes.

You need to get out more. I don't think "you" have ever had a drive over 30 yards.

Once, but it hit the cart path.

Since you opened it up with 30+ years, don't forget the State Champion and National Champion THS Vikings in the early to mid 70's. I know they won at least two state titles by playoff and one national title by vote. They would get under your time line, just barely.

There are only a few other state football titles (by playoff) from any team in northeast tennessee that I can recall. I think the playoff format began in '69 and M-East won the first large school division (AAA at that time). Jeff County won one and perhaps Sevier County. Are there others I have missed? Oh well, recent years have been dominated by Region 2 and I don't foresee a change this year.

I am still sticking to 31 - 7 D-B over THS but I could change my view based on this week's scrimmages.

Hey Pepe, I didnt say they were chokers and I know when the punt was (on the home team side and the player later played at Gate City). And yes the 10-0 record made up of some smaller schools does promote the theory that DB chokes.Once, but it hit the cart path.

In post # 42 on this thread you said that "some of the early losses were not always choking", which would be in English calling someone a choker, but I didn't make that a point of any of my responses...you were talking about "early exits" and my point was the semi-finals do not constitute an early exit...and you still haven't answered the question asked yesterday "which of the 5A schools in Knoxville and east of Knoxville don't play smaller schools?...how many of those other 5A schools go 10-0?...

Roll Tribe Roll

I'm not sure it's the playoff losses alone that outsiders and even some insiders parlay into saying that the Indians are chokers. It's two reasons. Year in and year out there is a talk of "this is the year". Then they are ranked #1 almost every year only to lose in the playoffs and never win a state championship on the field. Some would call it the "Atlanta Braves Syndrome". Even a lot of D-B fans themselves are tired of it. Just read these boards after they lose every year in the playoffs. Same thing every year. It's Clark's fault, blah blah blah. Also, a lot of us are just angry cause we haven't beaten you since the Eisenhower administration!

Back to the thread topic: D-B 27 T.High 13

Good post...I will add that many D-B fans start every year with visions of grandeur, as is the case with most school's fans (example: Science Hill fans think every year they are going to get D-B in football and VolmanScott I didn't use South as the example because I laughed so hard at your Eisenhower line...that was a good one, thanks) and with the preseason polls the "media" establishes the Indians as a contender every year...two points with that - 1) there are more voting members of the AP in northeast Tennessee than in any other part of the state...2) D-B is a potential contender every year and has proven that with the wins earned and with the playoff record, as well...as I asked in post # 38 on this thread, who besides Riverdale has done in just the past 10 years what the Indians have done?...but it is not a championship, so they are labeled chokers...I don't have a post anywhere on this site even inferring that "this is the year" and there are other realistic fans that support the Tribe without bombastically declaring victory...last year should have gone longer, but never expected a state title...South could say the same thing last year - should have gone longer...but they didn't choke...

again, I appreciate your post and reasoning, thanks

Roll Tribe Roll