Farragut v. Knox West

CU06

It was a great game to watch, both teams played hard. Farragut came right out of the blocks to score and seemed to always get the much needed touchdown to keep a solid lead...west struggled with turnovers in the first half..two picks and three fumbles. Both teams should do well this season. Farraguts offense is seeming to click the recievers played well and of course there was another big game from andre sterling to lead the admirals to victory. West is very very athletic as stated by many..there recievers are tall and fast and as soon as wagner moved to reciever he began to make a difference...it took farragut a couple drives to adjust from wagners game to ryans game but once they learned ryans game they seemed to settle in and the defense began to play better......overall a great game

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

West had alot of adversity to deal with during this game. Not taking anything away from farragut but if West had Ryan the whole game it wouldve been a much better game. West started 5 sophmores and 1 freshman last night. 2 in the secondary 3 on the line and 1 at kicker and running back. After those first 2 drives the jitters left the underclassmen and they played well. Also, Anthony Cook was out with a family emergency. Not taking anything away from Farragut but if this game was played later in the year i see a much diffferent outcome

Offensive explosion and entertaining to watch.

When Sterling stayed inside the tackles, he was lethal.

West showed a nice passing game.

Farragut stuggled in the secondary (West had a lot to do with that) and West struggled most of the game with Sterling. However, the LB #22 for West, Coley was impressive.

good game by both squads......

but now to these nay sayers of the West players.......IF U DONT KNO WAT WENT ON THEN SHUT UP!!....If West wanted to start Jake for the whole game they could have and even though it would have been looked down upon by many they would have been well within their rights and mabye even had a different outcome to the game.....take the Bobby Bowden approach...why jepordize ur chances of winning by suspending him...make him run stadiums for the whole practice .....suicides...up-downs....or clean the stands after the game on Saturday morning....im sure either way he would get the point..im not saying the punishment was unjust ..but believe me there is more than one way to get a point across to a player that u dont make boneheaded mistakes than to suspend him for a game....or half a game for that matter.... ..just my thoughts.....

I watched from home, and I don't know nor care why Ryan didn't play the first half, but I don't know if it would have mattered. West has the skill positions, but the line play did not impress me at all on either side of the ball. The only question I had watching was why Farragut even tried to do anything other than line up and pound it between the tackles in the secomd half. Offensively, their were several guys break through quickly.

In my opinion, if West is going to live up to the pre-season billing I have heard, the line play will have to be better.

If the Farragut coaches don't recognize from this game that Farragut needs to be in the I-formation, I foresee a great deal of offensive problems for this team. Balanced or unbalanced, I don't care, this Farragut team needs to be in the I. They need a physical fullback and a tight end (or two) in the game at all times. The real strength of this team is it's big physical offensive line, and Andre Sterling running behind it. Not to mention the fact that Andre seems to run even better behind a lead blocker. At the same time, they can still throw successfully (even from play action) from the I-formation.

Why take the game out of the hands of your offensive line by playing from the spread? After the second series, West didn't hesitate to put 8 in the box. They did not spread out. There's a simple explanation for this, they did not respect the spread. They rarely had to shed a blocker, because they just ran around them. Other teams will do the same once they see the film. Furthermore, Sterling was mauled on a couple of occasions, on another he whiffed, when pass protecting. Obviously, this is not Andre's strong suit, and I don't believe it is in Farragut's best interest for him to be the sole protector in the backfield. I think everyone saw that this led to Martland running for his life and also being sacked.

At the end of the fourth quarter, West defenders were struggling just to get off the ground. Imagine if Farragut had invested in the I formation from the get go. I certainly mean no disrespect to West and their athleticism, but this game could easily have been a physical mismatch if Farragut had chosen to play smash-mouth football. I'll also agree with a previous post about Farragut throwing with a ten point lead, while successfully driving the ball out of the I. Why risk stopping the clock on an incomplete pass, late in the game, when you have the lead?

I truly believe this team could compete for the region title by playing physical smash-mouth football out of the I. I think they will struggle to compete for the fourth spot in the spread. Farragut's players are clearly better suited to the I-formation. As a matter of fact, if anyone should be running the spread, it should be West.

the reason why they had sterling as the sole running back in the backfield is because the TE/FB derek harper was banged up in practice and didnt play. when he's available, farragut will run a majority of their formations with harper, sterling and three wideouts in the game. sometimes harper is lined up at TE and others he's in the backfield. the only other option at fullback was micah devan who's played there before, but he also starts at MLB. it was the coaches' decision to have him concentrate on defense last night because west is so explosive and then bring him in if they needed him in certain situations.

I was highly impressed with the West WRs, athletic kids that could flat get open. Ryan was as advertized, strong armed, perhaps too strong, if I had any problem with his game I would say he might have overthrown some passes that a little touch might have been better, but there is no doubt he's as good a high school QB as you'll see playing on Friday nights. The biggest difference in the game was West OL was far overmatched by Farraguts DL. West had to completely abandon the run, which makes it hard to run the veer with much success. I was disappointed that farragut tried to run wide against West when it should be obvious that to counter speed you have to run right at them. Most all of Andre's good runs were between the tackles. farragut had better sure up their kickoff coverage or they will pay a heavy price this year. It's been a weak spot for a couple of years now. The kicking game is the quickest way to switch momentum in a game and it nearly cost them friday night.

In all a good game to watch. West was better than I expected, I never felt comfortable in the 4th quarter. I think West ran out of gas late in the game.

knox west 63,

just some parently advice, I would not publicly question you coaches decisions about discipline on the team. This website is a great tool for discussion, but you should be careful not to get yourself in hot water with your coaches and teammates. Good luck to you and the Rebels. I would probably stick to discussion about the games and not in house team issues.

Great game from both teams. West has a very good passing attack but lacked any runing game at all i believe they inly broke one big run. Farragut looked very impressive and both offense and defense. Farragut dominated the line of scrimmage on offense and defense. Only concern for Farragut is thier DB's and Special Teams looked a little shady. Turnovers killed West in the first half and thats what basically sealed the game for Farragut. All in all great game to watch and i am impressed with both teams.

Good Luck to Both!