Meigs County Football

lambert

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just heard that 5 players quit the team yesteday before practice--this cant be good for the tigers who have already lost 2 lineman to injuries. heard 2 were starters --does anyone have any facts about this. what is the problem? are things falling apart in decatur?

"Quote from former Meigs football players I work with"

Heard trying to coach college style football to young high school kids and if not performing college style then it's the kids fault. " SIMPLIFY THE GAME COACH" running them to death is not the answer, ( they are in shape Coach!)

"Quote from former Meigs football players I work with"

Heard trying to coach college style football to young high school kids and if not performing college style then it's the kids fault. " SIMPLIFY THE GAME COACH" running them to death is not the answer, ( they are in shape Coach!)

interesting --what exactly do you mean college style?--what do you mean if they do not perform college style then it is the kids fault? I thought there was only one style of football -blocking--tackling-and conditioning. THis is the first i have heard of this--give us more details.--Because what ever style the coaches are doing sure worked last year(region champs)--have they changed their style that much-if so why?

interesting --what exactly do you mean college style?--what do you mean if they do not perform college style then it is the kids fault? I thought there was only one style of football -blocking--tackling-and conditioning. THis is the first i have heard of this--give us more details.--Because what ever style the coaches are doing sure worked last year(region champs)--have they changed their style that much-if so why?

My source says, QUOTE:" They have taken the fun out of Football. If they don't perform at college level the wrath comes down upon them.

My source says, QUOTE:" They have taken the fun out of Football. If they don't perform at college level the wrath comes down upon them.

All sports are hard work. If a player does not want to put forth the work to to become a winner the team is better off without them. Fun is knowing you and your buddies left your butts on the field after a hard fought game and and have nothing else to give.

I am a little confused. When you say Heard, is that a coaches name? Coach Martin is a good coach, and part of the reason Meigs turned things around. Don't see Meigs being as strong this year, they have to replace some players. I saw their spring scrimmage against Sweetwater and they are not the same team. They do have a strong tough running back, and I'm sure they had players that were playing spring sports. Don't let things fall apart, I always respected Meigs hard nosed brand of football!

All sports are hard work. If a player does not want to put forth the work to to become a winner the team is better off without them. Fun is knowing you and your buddies left your butts on the field after a hard fought game and and have nothing else to give.

i totally agree with you--evidently you have played the game and understand what a great feeling it is to come off the field after working together and accomplishing good things. I have been at practice at meigs county several times this year and will say coach martin demands alot of his kids but isnt that what we want.--i see how he cares for them and my son actually tells me coach martin tells his players he loves them but wants to change how peoples expectations are with them. he wants them to believe that they can out work any team that face. with these temperatures i would love to have black and gold forever or what ever his name is to tell me what other coaches are doing to make it fun. thats what separates football from other sports not all kids are willing to sacrifice what it takes and then when they quit they always say it isnt fun anymore aka i cant do it. also once again tell me what you are talking about not performing something the college way . i am confused.

i totally agree with you--evidently you have played the game and understand what a great feeling it is to come off the field after working together and accomplishing good things. I have been at practice at meigs county several times this year and will say coach martin demands alot of his kids but isnt that what we want.--i see how he cares for them and my son actually tells me coach martin tells his players he loves them but wants to change how peoples expectations are with them. he wants them to believe that they can out work any team that face. with these temperatures i would love to have black and gold forever or what ever his name is to tell me what other coaches are doing to make it fun. thats what separates football from other sports not all kids are willing to sacrifice what it takes and then when they quit they always say it isnt fun anymore aka i cant do it. also once again tell me what you are talking about not performing something the college way . i am confused.

I totally agree with you also. If people start quitting they always blame it on something other than they are not tough enough, or devoted enough to stick it out. Football requires alot of hard work and sacrifice to be good. Now wearing a jersey every friday night just requires showing up to practice every time at some schools. At a competitive football school wearing a jersey every friday night requires blood, sweat and tears.

I think everybody needs a little perspective. Coach Martin is the same coach he has always been. The change is that he has to deal with the loss of Clint Baker on that staff. Coach Baker was like having two head coaches. There is alot more pressure on Coach Martin because he has a new, more inexperienced staff. Give him time, Meigs has a reputation for singing the blues before the lay they smack down on opponents.

A lot of times the coach is always blamed when he is not the blame. The cold hard facts are that kids are not raised the same as we were. when I was younger, before I started working in the summer's, my parents had a rule that we were not to be inside during the day except to eat and use the bathroom. We worked in the garden, tobacco field, hay field, rode bikes, etc. Today a lot of kids (note I said a lot of kids, not all kids) leave an air conditioned home and go to practice in the sweltering heat. Their used to sitting down and succeeding at sports on a video game without much effort. It's hard to motivate in these circumstances. Hang in there coach Martin and any other coach that is facing this problem, your probably better off without those players anyway.