Temple

ZP,

I like the idea of a second, neutral appeals level. Good one.

I still maintain that:

1) There is no such thing as a "level playing field". That is a euphemism for "if you beat us you have an unfair advantage".

and

2) If the TSSAA really wanted to avoid domination by a small number of schools they would have gone to a merit system so that any school (public or private) that dominated was forced to play up OR they would have multiplied the dominating public groups too, like open zoned schools and magnets. Either way South Pitt would be in our region in 2a :>).

Picking out the privates as a group is not a defensible action for any reason other than the fact that the TSSAA is a public school biased group and the publics got ticked off that a few privates had gotten good.

Just my opinion though, I could be wrong :>)

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still maintain that:

1) There is no such thing as a "level playing field". That is a euphemism for "if you beat us you have an unfair advantage".

My kids went to Boyd for a couple of years. I have seen both sides. Privates have an advantage in the kids they can attract. It does make difference

2) If the TSSAA really wanted to avoid domination by a small number of schools they would have gone to a merit system so that any school (public or private) that dominated was forced to play up OR they would have multiplied the dominating public groups too, like open zoned schools and magnets. Either way South Pitt would be in our region in 2a :>).

Picking out the privates as a group is not a defensible action for any reason other than the fact that the TSSAA is a public school biased group and the publics got ticked off that a few privates had gotten good

I wouldn't mind playing in 2A where the competition would be better overall. I agree that some public schools have an advantage too and it should be addressed where it needs to be but just because a school is in an open zone county does not mean it is an advanage to all the schools in the zone. SP for example has lost kids to Jasper (3-4 SP kids start on this years team) so would we be punished for being on the losing end of open zoning? It's a complex situation without easy answers

My kids went to Boyd for a couple of years. I have seen both sides. Privates have an advantage in the kids they can attract. It does make difference

I wouldn't mind playing in 2A where the competition would be better overall. I agree that some public schools have an advantage too and it should be addressed where it needs to be but just because a school is in an open zone county does not mean it is an advanage to all the schools in the zone. SP for example has lost kids to Jasper (3-4 SP kids start on this years team) so would we be punished for being on the losing end of open zoning? It's a complex situation without easy answers

We would not mind you all being in 2A either. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I would- I want to beat ya'll (SP that is) before you have a chance to leave to 2A- plus 2A is terrible football around chattanooga...

You're joking, right? I'm thinking you must be...

Zp,

I know your kids went to Boyd...but I also know the people in the Valley and the athletes that schools like S. Pitt can get being open zoned (we rarely get kids with that kind of raw atheltic talent...most either couldn't afford to pay tuition or wouldn't pass). The better kids in the Valley have always migrated to the better programs...Jasper in the 80's, SP since. It isn't a coincidence that many perpetual powerhouse publics (how's that for consonance?) are open zoned. SP and Tyner in this area alone prove the point...add in Maryville and Alcoa, well, you get the picture. But, even though those 4 schools have as good as or a better record than ANY private school in DI or DII in the playoffs, somehow they DONT have an advantage over all the schools they kill but the few privates who are powerhouses do? Wouldn't you admit that the amazing community support and open zoning that SP gets gives you guys some advantages over...say...Lookout Valley? Or Midway? Or Copper Basin, or Red Boiling Springs?

Certainly privates have some advantages...as do open zoned publics...as do magnets...as do urban publics. All schools have some advantages and some disadvantages. The TSSAA defined the advantages that the privates have as insurmountable and ignored any advantages the publics may have or disadvantages the privates have.

Thus, the only fair thing would be a merit system. ALL advantages and disadvantages are taken into account by how often a school wins. Thus, a merit system takes the most advantaged schools and moves them up, the most disadvantaged schools and moves them down. The problem is that the TSSAA is public dominated and they are NEVER going to admit that their rules are antiprivate, or that publics have advantages too, regardless of how many times Alcoa, Fulton, and Maryville win the State Championship and dominate all other publics and privates in their classes (3 in a row, 3 of 5, and 5 in a row I think). No private has anything like the records of those schools...do they need to be multiplied? If not, then why not?

Zp,

I know your kids went to Boyd...but I also know the people in the Valley and the athletes that schools like S. Pitt can get being open zoned (we rarely get kids with that kind of raw atheltic talent...most either couldn't afford to pay tuition or wouldn't pass). The better kids in the Valley have always migrated to the better programs...Jasper in the 80's, SP since. It isn't a coincidence that many perpetual powerhouse publics (how's that for consonance?) are open zoned. SP and Tyner in this area alone prove the point...add in Maryville and Alcoa, well, you get the picture. But, even though those 4 schools have as good as or a better record than ANY private school in DI or DII in the playoffs, somehow they DONT have an advantage over all the schools they kill but the few privates who are powerhouses do? Wouldn't you admit that the amazing community support and open zoning that SP gets gives you guys some advantages over...say...Lookout Valley? Or Midway? Or Copper Basin, or Red Boiling Springs?

Certainly privates have some advantages...as do open zoned publics...as do magnets...as do urban publics. All schools have some advantages and some disadvantages. The TSSAA defined the advantages that the privates have as insurmountable and ignored any advantages the publics may have or disadvantages the privates have.

Thus, the only fair thing would be a merit system. ALL advantages and disadvantages are taken into account by how often a school wins. Thus, a merit system takes the most advantaged schools and moves them up, the most disadvantaged schools and moves them down. The problem is that the TSSAA is public dominated and they are NEVER going to admit that their rules are antiprivate, or that publics have advantages too, regardless of how many times Alcoa, Fulton, and Maryville win the State Championship and dominate all other publics and privates in their classes (3 in a row, 3 of 5, and 5 in a row I think). No private has anything like the records of those schools...do they need to be multiplied? If not, then why not?

You make some very interesting points, Baldcoach.

Zp,

This is the problem with TSSAA- one of the reasons I no longer have anything to do with it- as well as why I personally hope that TSSAA acts according to this problem in dealing with Temple. This entire temple situation if TSSAA handels it the way they have treated and handled everything in the past could cause a MAJOR uprising by private schools...which would hurt the TSSAA...I personally think TSSAA knows this and could be the reason they are "lenient" with Temple... however that would only infuriate the publics even more...so Catch 22 for TSSAA- they better weigh the pros and cons of all their possible choices....and they better think longterm affects...

Zp,

In a small county with a low population that you have to chose from, open zoning really doesn't make much of a difference. There are more athletes that go to Jasper from SP and Whitwell than the other way around, Now it helped Jasper in baseball but Jasper has 5-6 kids on the football team that start or get considerable playing time that live in SP. Now I'll agree that the community support we have is an advantage that we have over other schools but that has nothing to do with zoning, etc. We are just lucky to have it. The support that Boyd has from it's parents reminds me of SP. I think that is a big key to a successful program. Now I will agree that some the bigger open zoned schools and magnets have some of the same advantages that private schools have

Don't worry. I think you'll have your shot for a while yet. And 1A around Chattanooga is better ? Get real

Did I say that???? not quite- you know what happens when you assume right?

How many of the 2A teams in chattanooga are ranked in the top ten??? How many are undefeated??? yes thank you- when was the last time that a 2a team- (while in two a) made a state run??? (again I'll sign autographs later)