Riverdale vs. Oakland

First off.....congrats to Riverdale. I think Coach A has brought a definite classiness to Riverdale. I wish the Warrior team well the rest of their season. Looks like their D didn't miss a beat with their new coach. They have speed and athleticism as usual!!

My internet has just now come back up from the storm last night, and I apologize for not posting last night.

I do appreciate the compliments that were given to us in above posts. I thought our team showed a lot of heart and a lot of promise tonight. Our Defense was stout and our O showed a few glimpses of some good things to come. Going to the air was a smart move and makes us more than one dimensional. We started doing some serious cramping at the end ....I think at least 3 def starters were out when RHS got that last TD. Not making excuses whatsoever.....it was a breakdown in coverage, but we may have been able to catch the guy had some of our speedsters had still been in the game. Give A credit for making a great call. Either the RHS o line isn't as advertised or our D line is pretty dang good........and I am definitely a HUGE HUGE Derek Barrett fan. The kid is filling that nose slot with a vengeance.

I could not have been prouder of our O at the end of the game. The rain was coming down in buckets with lightning all around, yet they drove the ball down to try to score. We came up short....but showing the heart to keep fighting is what Oakland football is all about. These kids were not intimidated by the spear. Very hard hits on both sides. I thought Schaller had a good debut, and I see nothing but great things in his future in red, white, and blue. He is very athletic and smart, and will continue to improve. Best part is he is a soph. Can you tell I am a fan of his??

I have to give credit to Michael McGowan for a solid performance tonight at LB. I will be honest, I was worried about losing Coach Mitchell to Smyrna. I do not think Lil Mc has suffered though b/c of it. He has stepped up so much....matured and has a great presence on the field. He made some crunching tackles tonight!! Also have to love the sack by Nelson.....that kid is a fireball!! Amey made some exceptional plays as well. I have to say the hit of the night was by Mr BJ Nelson. The kid is a player and I think being an Ex Warrior gave him extra incentive toinight. Elrod is such a LEADER on that field. He is a player who will sorely be missed next yr. He brings so much to the table. Peetie.......dang son, you are a player!!!!

I will also comment on the OHS crowd. The student section was outstanding!! The parents were also on their feet as well. These boys deserve the support and I hope to see the kids painted up every game. The sidelines feed on you guys.......and it sparks them on the field to hear the cheers. I hear we had a heck of a pep rally. I thank Mr. Vaughn for being a part of this new PRIDE at Oakland. He is bringing so much excitement to the school. I applaud him in every way.

I am of course disappointed with the loss, but seeing how RHS is picked first in just about every poll, and On The Ball picked us dead last......I have high hopes now. Put this loss behind you, Patriots and let's get another shot at RHS in the playoffs!!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the o line had a bad night it seems. They would open up holes and the back couldnt find them, or they would miss one block and mess up the rest. I beleive they will start living up in expectaions going into the season. Remember last year? Bad first game, then next week (granted we lost) we ran for over 400 yards! It just takes time to click in this offense. Hopefully j mac will be full health. GREAT JOB DEFENSE WAY TO GET A SHUTOUT!

Yes the o line had a bad night it seems. They would open up holes and the back couldnt find them, or they would miss one block and mess up the rest. I beleive they will start living up in expectaions going into the season. Remember last year? Bad first game, then next week (granted we lost) we ran for over 400 yards! It just takes time to click in this offense. Hopefully j mac will be full health. GREAT JOB DEFENSE WAY TO GET A SHUTOUT!

Yes Riverdales line is big but Oaklands Defensive front line is not small Elrod 270 , Barrett 290, Bowen 270 and all are 6'2" . Maybe that is why Riverdales O-Line had problems. These guys are also 300 plus benchers . It could be possible Riverdale has not seen a D-line this big and strong. I think that is why Riverdales o-line had a bad night. Its hard to run through holes that are not there. Barrett also lead the team in tackles with 6 and he is the nose tackle.

Yes Riverdales line is big but Oaklands Defensive front line is not small Elrod 270 , Barrett 290, Bowen 270 and all are 6'2" . Maybe that is why Riverdales O-Line had problems. These guys are also 300 plus benchers . It could be possible Riverdale has not seen a D-line this big and strong. I think that is why Riverdales o-line had a bad night. Its hard to run through holes that are not there. Barrett also lead the team in tackles with 6 and he is the nose tackle.

Are you going off the WGNS stats, because I think they were off. I know they were off on where Elrod was playing. They kept calling him the nose and the center when he played RG on offense, and LB and LDT on defense. Oh, and the D-Line also all have run 5 flat 40's at one point or another this year. A lot of credit to Mike and Sam for filling those holes that opened. They shut them down quickly.

Are you going off the WGNS stats, because I think they were off. I know they were off on where Elrod was playing. They kept calling him the nose and the center when he played RG on offense, and LB and LDT on defense. Oh, and the D-Line also all have run 5 flat 40's at one point or another this year. A lot of credit to Mike and Sam for filling those holes that opened. They shut them down quickly.

To tell the truth, I thought Lil Mac was the leading tackler for OHS. It was hard to tell because so many were swarming though.

Let us know when you find out who was leading tackler. I hope we are a bit more dilligent this yr about getting stats to the Tennessean. It helps in getting recognition for post game honors as well as college interest. Our kids deserve that !!

I try to keep my own stats during the game but last night was too draining on me and I gave up.......

What does being off on a players position have anything to do with tackling stats ? Generally you record a players number and credit them with the tackle if the player made it.

To tell the truth, I thought Lil Mac was the leading tackler for OHS. It was hard to tell because so many were swarming though.

I would'nt be suprised if Barrett was the leading tackler he was all over the field . But like you said players were swarming to the ball . It's good to see a d-lineman in that catagory it shows what kind of speed we have on defense even up front.

What does being off on a players position have anything to do with tackling stats ? Generally you record a players number and credit them with the tackle if the player made it.

Well when folk look alike, they sometimes get numbers confused. Griffith and Elrod got confused last year, and Barrett and Elrod get confuse this year. When you have similar numbers and similar body sizes, you can get confused in a pile.

Well when folk look alike, they sometimes get numbers confused. Griffith and Elrod got confused last year, and Barrett and Elrod get confuse this year. When you have similar numbers and similar body sizes, you can get confused in a pile.

I understand getting 68 mixed up with 78 but not 44, 15, or 7.

heck i cld not understand who the announcer was saying bc the speakers seemed to be turned down or something...maybe just bc so many people???? it wld have been nice to hear the names of the players from either team as they made a good play. nice playing oakland but i must say i'm glad the warriors pulled this one out.. can't believe we have waited for how many days..months...for rain & it comes last night. it took alot of focus for those guys to continue playing when the downpour came. wtg to both teams & coaches!! looks like Coach "A" is really onto something since so many other teams are going to try the wingT this year. wtg CoachA you started a trend