Week 0: Franklin vs. Hillsboro

bulldogger07

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Game! Exactly what you would have thought, two great defenses making great plays when they counted. Turnovers and penalties played a part in all four scores. Both teams very poised almost in play-off fashion. Some good looking athletes on both teams, for Hillsboro #5 Jaques Seward was a standout...speed, power, moves, great body lean when he finished...the whole package. #3 Eric Gordon was a handful as well...obviously a leader...great to watch he and Franklin's #11 Casey Dykes go at it thru the night.

Hillsboro a little better at running the ball between the tackles, both teams very fast to the corners with Franklin's #5 Keylo Lee matching Jaques Seward run for run. Franklin seemed to go to a smaller line in the 3rd Q and had a little more success running the ball, with a couple of 10+ yrd runs.

Both QB's looked poised, #9 Graham Nichols for Franklin threw well on the night with a few dropped balls or errant passes being where they needed to be high or away from the defender. #15 Mark Arent for Hillsboro threw mostly swing passes, as Casey Dykes for Franklin was bird-dogging him and had several near interceptions on balls thrown accross the middle.

The real story though was defense. Undoubtedly these are two of the best in the state!

Also Hillsboro has a great kicker ... K/Os in the endzone and I'd guess he had a 44-50 yrd punting average!

As to the tie... what a great way to end a defensive battle and begin a rivalry!!

we understood franklin was a good team, but you obviously are not familiar with hillsboro football.. we win games regardless of whether it is a premier 5A team or not. in fact i would say the same to you, people dont realize how good hillsboro is and no one dominates like the burros without great talent.

the game's tempo was controlled by hillsboro, with franklin having to match the burros' scores.. with about 7:30 minutes left franklin tied hillsboro at 14. the refs then decided to pause the game until lightening subsided.. in fact it had been lightening for quite some time before franklin scored but the refs seemed to ignore that until the game was tied. the lightening did not let up and the game was called a tie. good game but its a shame that hillsboro did not get a chance to win the game as the players were livid with the fact that they have to settle for tie. franklin supporters have to be grateful that they escaped this with a tie, i jus hoped this helped change some opinions about the dominance of hillsboro football.

youre the most ignorant person on here hillsboro didnt control the game. get over the fact that there are teams just as good if not better than hillsboro it doesnt matter the order of the scores all that matters is the final score. you make it sound like hillsboro was dominating and they werent they made the same mistakes that franklin did.

youre the most ignorant person on here hillsboro didnt control the game. get over the fact that there are teams just as good if not better than hillsboro it doesnt matter the order of the scores all that matters is the final score. you make it sound like hillsboro was dominating and they werent they made the same mistakes that franklin did.

im sorry i didnt take too kindly to the fact that someone said if hillsboro fans were "using their heads, they couldnt honestly predict a win". and that we were over-optimistic.. this game proved that we are "that good" and can play with anyone, to those who weren't familiar with our program. and my comment on dominance was referring to our region in response to him saying that franklin plays in a tough region. good luck to franklin.

and ill rephrase: rather than controlling the tempo, lets just say as a hillsboro fan, i never felt like we were in a position to lose the game.

Guest workinprogress

why not finish the game today like a lot of teams are doing?

I dont get this at all. Antioch and MBA started up again after an hour delay. Hillsboro is just a few miles away, why didnt they do the same? Even if they didnt want to wait why not come back like most other teams that were delayed and finish the game tonight? I dont see how any coach could let a game end in a tie, not to mention a game like this. Two of the top teams in the mid state locked up in a 14-14 battle and both throw in the white flag? I would love to know what each was thinking.

LOL! I belive the great Bear Bryant was the one who said that a tie was like kissing your sister. I don't have a dog in this fight and I still can't believe they're not finishing this game. What a shame....

I do not know all the details but, I can guarantee you that no coach or player from Hillsboro wanted this game to end in the manner it was ended.

Both coaches had to agree to the tie. It was a smart decision with the bad weather and only 7 minutes left in a great contest.

I wish they finished it last night i mean yeah there was some lightning and wind but it wasnt raining or anything i think they had time to finish but i guess they didnt want it to be a risk