Week 0: Franklin vs. Hillsboro

bulldogger07

Guest workinprogress

Hillsboro wins this one either way. Blade needs to call and request a meeting of both teams, and if Clayton refuses, it is a loss for frankin. however, if Clayton Calls and Blade does not comply, Hillsboro loses. Simple resolution to a problem. They should meet around lunch on a field and play the last 7 minutes. Hillsboro ball and only 7 minutes to go. My money is on the burros by 7.

Two comments. One Blade comments in the paper made it seem as if he was frustrated with the whole situation. I know he is not from here but its no excuse, he should know the rules or have assistants that know the rules. Same thing for Franklin. Luckily for Blade I think this could hurt Franklin worse. Hillsboro has a good chance of running the tables and going undefeated. Tie breakers should not be an issue. Franklin could end up 9-1 or 8-2, etc with Ravenwood, Brentwood, Indy, etc. In this case if they go to the third tie breaker this game would play a huge role determining playoffs spots. Franklin has got to finish this game. I would hate to be their coach at the end of the season and have to tell my players their season is over because I let a game end in a tie.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest workinprogress

Seems like the officials should have been aware that no tie should have been allowed.

Definately so. I just hate to see such a good game end in a tie. Like I said I dont think Hillsboro has much to lose here. Your burros should run the tables and have a good shot at Maryville. I was just suprised that Blade was okay with a tie. He seems to be very competitive and works hard to win games, not tie. I also understand that this was a non region game and he doesnt want to risk injuries but its a huge non region game. jmo

Just thought I'd point out that the rules concerning ties and such are very ambiguous. I don't have my rule book with me, but to paraphrase, something in Rule 3 (Periods, Time Factors, Substitutions), I believe it is 3-1-4, says that a game that is suspended must be resumed and played to completion, UNLESS the coaches mutually agree to terminate the game with the existing score or unless the state association has adopted specific game-ending procedures.

Apparently the coaches agreed to terminate the game. And regulations regarding the resolution of a tied game are left up to each individual state association and are not in the NFHS rule book. However, the TSSAA's regulations on tied games are all but non-existent. They say that if a team goes to another state that allows ties and ends up with a tie, the TSSAA will recognize it as a half-game won and a half-game lost. It says that games in Tennessee that end in a tie must be resolved. But it doesn't give a ruling for games suspended because of exceptional circumstances when the coaches agree to call it off.

It's not surprising that the officials did not know this "rule" because no such rule actually exists. If the TSSAA is going to make decisions on this sort of thing, they need to make their rules on such matters abundantly clear.