Scores

VolunteerGeneral

I'm curious, since you were a player, and coach, how come you haven't taken a ref certification class to complete your knowledge base? It might be easier to understand the game from that point of view, rather than come across as someone so expert at the game, and ranting about poor officiating. You talk the talk, but can you walk the walk? There is a great shortage of HS refs and until people step up, it isn't going to get easier. My kids play HS and I ref around their games. Its difficult to schedule. I also ref college and adult amateur. We are only human but we are out there serving for the good of the game. So the gauntlet has been laid down. Get certified.

Ok smart one, for the record I did ref a few years back. The reason I don't anymore is two fold and not looking for pity. I am a single dad who works, takes care of 2 teenage kids that both play soccer and one plays football too. I do this with some help with rides occasionally for the kids, very rarely, as well as work a full time job. So before you judge take a moment to think! As far as the poor officiating, I am not asmuch concerned with game score results as I am concerned with the safety of the girls playing the game risking injury. Gauntlet has been picked up!

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well if you want my opinion the ref courses are not good enough anyone can ref and it does not matter if they are in shape to keep up with the game or not i know some of the game si get that are two man crews we don't do as good as we could if we have three but we try our best and yes some refs do play favorites and know some girls on teams but they are unprofessional if they call them by name

in short i think the way we become refs should be more than taking a test there should be a physical portion as well you have to be able to keep up with the game and some of my ref buddies are not able to do that which makes us look bad at times and also i think refs shoiuld be assessed 2 or 3 times a year by the assigner so they will know the caliber of the refs and also the assigner should look into making sure the same refs arent refing the same teams all year i have already had 5 games this year and 3 have been the same team

the gender barrier is a problem too some refs don't call girls as tightly as boys that is why i think we see more injuries in the girls games becasue of lack of control by officials but yes we need more refs but we should not lower standards to get them

I knew if I read enough of your posts I would find something I agreed with you on, lol. For the record, the other reason I am not reffing is I am eventually going to have to have knee surgery, and the swollen knee thing is not exciting the next day at work. However, I couldn't feel right about causing harm to a player because I couldn't keep up with the flow of the game. The game I was disgusted with had 2 refs and one of them was dire outta shape.

I knew if I read enough of your posts I would find something I agreed with you on, lol. For the record, the other reason I am not reffing is I am eventually going to have to have knee surgery, and the swollen knee thing is not exciting the next day at work. However, I couldn't feel right about causing harm to a player because I couldn't keep up with the flow of the game. The game I was disgusted with had 2 refs and one of them was dire outta shape.

you try and find something wrong with what anyone says lol but have plenty of excuses on why you should do it

I think the High School JV and Varsity games this season have had alot of bad calls and no calls this year. It would be nice since EastTNRef knows so much about the high schools, and is obviously a Ref, that he could give some input to the people who pick these Refs. Our varsity game against South Doyle last week was absolutely the worst and yet most obvious Home cooking job in officiating soccer I have ever seen. That includes all games I played in high school, college, and coached!

As I understand it - refs are assigned from a central office, so "home -cooking" is rather difficult when you are playing a knox county vs knox county game- Also, I tape alot of games and even when I'm convinced that there was bad reffing- it is rarely that way when viewed on my TV outside of the emotions of an ongoing game.

As I understand it - refs are assigned from a central office, so "home -cooking" is rather difficult when you are playing a knox county vs knox county game- Also, I tape alot of games and even when I'm convinced that there was bad reffing- it is rarely that way when viewed on my TV outside of the emotions of an ongoing game.

Well it is really pointless to continue this, since everyone has an opinion and is entitled to their opinion. This much I know, unless you see the game in question you don't know; however given the number of competitive players on some of the High School teams last fall that had serious knee injuries, and seeing a player taken down from behind on several occasions, with no call being made, then giving the Coach a yellow card for questioning it, leads you to wonder. Anyhow, I respect that everyone has an opinion and they are entitled. Was just stating mine and my concerns. I will add I am not really concerned about my daughter being injured by a dirty play, because she knows enough about soccer to play smooth and with skill, but if they start getting physical well she can do that too.....

Well it is really pointless to continue this, since everyone has an opinion and is entitled to their opinion. This much I know, unless you see the game in question you don't know; however given the number of competitive players on some of the High School teams last fall that had serious knee injuries, and seeing a player taken down from behind on several occasions, with no call being made, then giving the Coach a yellow card for questioning it, leads you to wonder. Anyhow, I respect that everyone has an opinion and they are entitled. Was just stating mine and my concerns. I will add I am not really concerned about my daughter being injured by a dirty play, because she knows enough about soccer to play smooth and with skill, but if they start getting physical well she can do that too.....

ORHS takes a team to a 15-0 thrashing

St George takes a team toa 17-0 bashing

ORHS plays St George this weekend...any takers? will the score be 17-15?

well then why all the complaining, will you do a soccer camp for my 10 year old girls team they need someone to coach them on the ways as you have coached your daughter

Ok smart one, for the record I did ref a few years back. The reason I don't anymore is two fold and not looking for pity. I am a single dad who works, takes care of 2 teenage kids that both play soccer and one plays football too. I do this with some help with rides occasionally for the kids, very rarely, as well as work a full time job. So before you judge take a moment to think! As far as the poor officiating, I am not asmuch concerned with game score results as I am concerned with the safety of the girls playing the game risking injury. Gauntlet has been picked up!

Hmm. Not to sound condescending, but if you did ref you would understand the code of ethics that all of us who do it, are held to. When we ref, we ref, when we watch, we watch. We don't bash refs when we watch. I understand your life situation but that is not the issue, nor an excuse to ridicule or smugly chide with indignation, those that put their integrity on the line. This is why not everyone can do the job, since courage isnt passed out evenly. More so, those that become frustrated, quit, leaving the game for various reasons. The issue as you say, is thinking, as the late great FIFA ref Ken Aston said so poignantly, "reffing is thinking". Now with regard to "thinking", one must ask "why do you think it's poor?" The word poor has many meanings, and in this context, the only interpretation you give is that it is below acceptable. So what is acceptable? 50% of all spectators think every call is a bad call. The other 50% think the same call is a good call. So there you have it. Only half of all calls are acceptable in an ideal world. Half of any distribution is normal, and normal is poor from your own words. So the normal condition is the state of adversity by design. Unless you have in your data bank a thousand games under your belt to draw on, as some of us who have been doing this for years, it really doesn't matter what perspective you come from, at best you will be 50% satisfied. Maybe now you may see that all parties make mistakes; players miss runs, coaches make strategic errors, spectators see only what they want to see. Without a ref though a game can take two states - either a glorified warmup, or all out brawl, My personal opinion, I like to see them play to their ability, take them to the edge of that ability within the spirit of the game. Anything less is a milquetoast scrimmage. If you really do care for the game, as I do, you would appreciate the physicality without resorting to the cop out that safety is somehow compromised. Remember, that person in the middle may have a busy schedule too where their choice to ref comes at the expense of other things as well. Maybe they are a single dad, or college student, or retiree. Maybe they arent as fast as the players, but maybe they dont have to be. They get banged up too. A thousand or so games does that to an aging body. The mind is still there though. Since refereeing is thinking.

For all you Coach T fans in Middle and East Tennessee

Here are the scores from games in the Memphis Area

White Station 3 , Arlington 2

Millington 6 , Craigmont 1

Houston 6 , St. Mary's 1

Harding Academy 7 , Cordova 1

Hutchison 4 , St Benedict 2

Fayette Academy 2 , Covington 2

Collierville 3, ECS 0

Bartlett 9 , Wooddale 0

St. Agnes 7 , Ridgeway 0

Central 5 , Melrose 2

Hmm. Not to sound condescending, but if you did ref you would understand the code of ethics that all of us who do it, are held to. When we ref, we ref, when we watch, we watch. We don't bash refs when we watch. I understand your life situation but that is not the issue, nor an excuse to ridicule or smugly chide with indignation, those that put their integrity on the line. This is why not everyone can do the job, since courage isnt passed out evenly. More so, those that become frustrated, quit, leaving the game for various reasons. The issue as you say, is thinking, as the late great FIFA ref Ken Aston said so poignantly, "reffing is thinking". Now with regard to "thinking", one must ask "why do you think it's poor?" The word poor has many meanings, and in this context, the only interpretation you give is that it is below acceptable. So what is acceptable? 50% of all spectators think every call is a bad call. The other 50% think the same call is a good call. So there you have it. Only half of all calls are acceptable in an ideal world. Half of any distribution is normal, and normal is poor from your own words. So the normal condition is the state of adversity by design. Unless you have in your data bank a thousand games under your belt to draw on, as some of us who have been doing this for years, it really doesn't matter what perspective you come from, at best you will be 50% satisfied. Maybe now you may see that all parties make mistakes; players miss runs, coaches make strategic errors, spectators see only what they want to see. Without a ref though a game can take two states - either a glorified warmup, or all out brawl, My personal opinion, I like to see them play to their ability, take them to the edge of that ability within the spirit of the game. Anything less is a milquetoast scrimmage. If you really do care for the game, as I do, you would appreciate the physicality without resorting to the cop out that safety is somehow compromised. Remember, that person in the middle may have a busy schedule too where their choice to ref comes at the expense of other things as well. Maybe they are a single dad, or college student, or retiree. Maybe they arent as fast as the players, but maybe they dont have to be. They get banged up too. A thousand or so games does that to an aging body. The mind is still there though. Since refereeing is thinking.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion, I am not here to make excuses, just gave the reasons, why I am not officiating, nor did, I say I wouldn't do it again in the future. As far as the not to sound condescending statement, it did come across that way. As far as Coaching again, as soon as my kids are driving, I have no doubt I will be back Coaching and Officiating. As far as the Physical play, nothing wrong with physical play, dirty and physical are 2 different things, and believe me or not, I do know the difference. Again all I am doing is stating an opinion, not trying to be condescending or belittle anyone. I hope you have a great season Officiating!