Small programs winning against Larger programs

rigger101

I pull for the underdog most of the time. However, the last 3 years of TN Football has really got me wondering who are the underdogs?

I've watched Alcoa 2A beat up on the McCallie D-II.

Goodpasture 2A beat Ravenwood 5A

Station Camp 3A Beat Hendersonville to name a few,

Are these one-time games and the smaller schools stepping up like Boise State did against OU or could these programs compete weak in and week out at the higher levels.

Just a thought. I don't think the smaller programs could play a 5A schedule every week and go undefeated but I do feel they would have a winning record. Just a thought. I use to read where some folks didn't think a Alcoa program could beat the top 5A programs. I think Goodpasture has proved that theory wrong.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 2A over a DII is something I wouldn't consider a large vs. small. I thought most DII schools would only be 1 or 2A schools if they didnt play in the DII classification.

Well a lot of folks on the board consider D-II Teams like BA, McCallie etc to be the best football in the state. I read all the time how the Super 7 have better win records against the public schools. So a 2A beating a Super 7 State finalsit is a big deal in most eyes.

A 2A over a DII is something I wouldn't consider a large vs. small. I thought most DII schools would only be 1 or 2A schools if they didnt play in the DII classification.

FYI From the TSSAA site.

2006 Enrollment Adjusted Total

* Brentwood Academy 446 446

* Webb School of Knoxville 488 488

* Evangelical Christian School 515 515

* Briarcrest Christian School 612 612

* Pope John Paul II High School 651 651

* Baylor School 748 748

* St. Benedict at Auburndale 776 776

* Memphis University School 431 862

* Montgomery Bell Academy 462 924

* Father Ryan High School 926 926

* McCallie School 625 1,250

* Christian Brothers High School 850 1,700

FYI From the TSSAA site.

2006 Enrollment Adjusted Total

* Brentwood Academy 446 446

* Webb School of Knoxville 488 488

* Evangelical Christian School 515 515

* Briarcrest Christian School 612 612

* Pope John Paul II High School 651 651

* Baylor School 748 748

* St. Benedict at Auburndale 776 776

* Memphis University School 431 862

* Montgomery Bell Academy 462 924

* Father Ryan High School 926 926

* McCallie School 625 1,250

* Christian Brothers High School 850 1,700

What does the adjusted total mean?

BTW- we were talking about this at work and going down memory lane. In our old fart brains we can't remember to many single A schools besides BA in the 80's winning against 3A programs before the 5A came along.

What does the adjusted total mean?

BTW- we were talking about this at work and going down memory lane. In our old fart brains we can't remember to many single A schools besides BA in the 80's winning against 3A programs before the 5A came along.

If a school is all male, (or female). The enrollment figures are doubled when it comes to classification.

For example, if McCallie has 850 students, the adjusted total is 1700. The pool of students from which they draw athletes is roughly the same as it would be for a 1700 student co-ed school.

For D-1 privates the adjusted total also adds a 1.8X multiplier to the total 9-12 enrollment.

If a school is all male, (or female). The enrollment figures are doubled when it comes to classification.

For example, if McCallie has 850 students, the adjusted total is 1700. The pool of students from which they draw athletes is roughly the same as it would be for a 1700 student co-ed school.

For D-1 privates the adjusted total also adds a 1.8X multiplier to the total 9-12 enrollment.

Thanks

I pull for the underdog most of the time. However, the last 3 years of TN Football has really got me wondering who are the underdogs?

I've watched Alcoa 2A beat up on the McCallie D-II.

Goodpasture 2A beat Ravenwood 5A

Station Camp 3A Beat Hendersonville to name a few,

Are these one-time games and the smaller schools stepping up like Boise State did against OU or could these programs compete weak in and week out at the higher levels.

Just a thought. I don't think the smaller programs could play a 5A schedule every week and go undefeated but I do feel they would have a winning record. Just a thought. I use to read where some folks didn't think a Alcoa program could beat the top 5A programs. I think Goodpasture has proved that theory wrong.

I don't know too much about Station Camp..3A quarterfinalist last year I believe, but the other two programs you mention aren't exactly the normal 2A school. I'd dare say either or could hold their own in 4A and 5A. Not so much a trend as much as just two very good prgrams that just happen to be smaller schools.

Well a lot of folks on the board consider D-II Teams like BA, McCallie etc to be the best football in the state. I read all the time how the Super 7 have better win records against the public schools. So a 2A beating a Super 7 State finalsit is a big deal in most eyes.

You're reading too much into this supposed shocker where Alcoa beat McCallie. Is that the same Alcoa team that played Maryville (considered the best team in the state and nationally ranked) to a 17-14 game? Alcoa is different than most, if not all, 2A schools. Coming from behind to beat McCallie late in the 4th quarter showed a lot of heart and character on their part; and the fact that they had 6 DI prospects on their team. Alcoa can play with any team in the state regardless of classification. So to answer your question.........no........it is not a "big deal" in most people's eyes. As for all the small talk on the Super 7 being the "best football" in the state; well, that's an endless debate. From top to bottom I would say it's the toughest. Unfortunately, the only thing we have to go on is records and they speak for themselves. Have a good one.....

The "large" DII schools can't have it both ways. Either they are the self-proclaimed "Super 7" or they aren't.

JMHO