South Pittsburg @ CopperBasin

Geno

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably should make an exception in this case, right?

Maybe Vic and Copper Basin's coach could agree on some house rules before the game.

Probably but I don't know of any coach who like the mercy rule. About all it does is cut out playing time for the 2nd and 3rd string who are the ones who really need the reps. 9th graders should get some valuable game experience and playing them should give CB a team they will be competitive with which will help them get better. CB is a really young team and the game experience (once the JV is in) will help them down the road against teams they can compete with.

South Pitt historically, (last year specifically) has had a problem getting excited and ready after big games. Last year the absolutely Destroyed Jasper and then lost Temple. I know some will say Temple was a really good team, but from what i hear South Pitt didn't even show up to the game.

The good news? This isn't a team like temple. Copper Basin doesn't have the talent to beat South Pitt.

Probably but I don't know of any coach who like the mercy rule. About all it does is cut out playing time for the 2nd and 3rd string who are the ones who really need the reps. 9th graders should get some valuable game experience and playing them should give CB a team they will be competitive with which will help them get better. CB is a really young team and the game experience (once the JV is in) will help them down the road against teams they can compete with.

What I meant about the house rules was that the coaches can agree to do away with the mercy rule if both coaches agree, right? If Vic is winning at the half then he puts in his JV and lets the teams play as long as they are not doing more than swapping touchdowns. It seems to me, rather than shortening a game, it would be better for both teams involved for the dominating team to sub in JV players to give them work, allow the losing team to feel better about themselves, etc. Vic can keep the mercy rule off the table if he is careful and allow some younger players to see some good playing time.