UT 2007 Season in Question

ERA

It's a coach's responsibility to maintain the level of excitement expected around a program. His actions are paramount. Once you win a championship, there is no other time that you can capitalize on momentum to gain the top players and respect from your peers. It is the responsibility of the coach to make that happen and to build on the supposed successes. Fulmer has not. So what can he do? Win. That's all that's left to transpose the ironic negativity of the winningest percentage coach in the nation yet not for long at this pace.

Fact: Knoxville radio broadcasts of phone callers showed 95% of the callers wanted Fulmer fired. That's in his own town where the Orange nation stay faithful.

I guess that there must be at least one million JERKS! according to KevB1990's assessment in Tennessee alone. That's a lot of JERKS Kev. Wonder if they know that they are all JERKS? At some point or time, these JERKS will be telling you that you aren't a true VOL fan. They'll be saying that you are a FULMER fan and that you are only interested in FULMER's career rather than what's best for the VOL NATION. My, how the tables have turned. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say after last night's game is this-WHERE IS THE DEFENSE?

Looks like a poorly coached team. Stupid penalties, mistackles, blown coverages, etc. etc... I understand that there are a lot of very young players on our defensive squad, but with the caliber of offense we have, there's no reason for us to be giving up all these points. It's not like we give the ball back after continuous 3 and outs (see: UT 2005). We keep them off the field enough for them to be rested and to make adjustments.

Yeah, we blew out Arkansas State, but you can't polish a turd.... That was not a very good football team we beat last night, should not have given up 20 points to their offense. They had a bunch of big plays. A bunch. For a team that used to breed defensive players, we sure don't have any impact players on that side of the ball.

On a higher note, I think some of our young receivers are starting to emerge into good ballplayers.

Thanks for letting me vent.

It's a dark day in Florida this evening. Auburn kicks Florida out of the #4 spot by beating them with a game ending field goal 20-17. What's worse? Tennessee was massacred by Florida. Tennessee better have a new game plan and buy a few players from the NFL if they hope for a chance to recoup the season. Miracle, yeah, miracle is what Tennesseee needs. Let's all get on our knees and pray for divine invtervention for UT or Fulmer, whichever is your idol. #15 Kentucky blows out Florida Atlantic 45-17. So, which teams are the bottom feeders of the SEC today and which do you propose will be at the end of the season?

As a fan, I was glad Auburn beat Florida because with LSU coming up, UT at least has hope to still be in contention in the east. Granted, my rational side keeps me in check, but at least I can dream.

Watching the Colts/Broncos today, the two premier zone blocking NFL teams, I noticed how fast they were and how they were able to get to the second level and block them as well. UT does not do a good job with that in their blocking scheme. Quite frankly, the line is slow. Watch the film, it's not the opposing D-lines causing problems against the run, it's the backers filling in the holes. My summary - UT's line is too slow to zone block against fast SEC defenses.

I am hoping these two weeks off have given the infamous pinky time to heal. I really do believe part of the lack of deep passing game stems from Ainge not being able to throw it well right now. If we are able to go a little bit more vertical, that should help the running game some too.

Also, in watching the game last night, there is part of me starting to wonder if part of UT's problem is the complexity of the offense. Watch Florida closely - that offense ain't exactly rocket science. Down along the goal line, the offense becomes the old 40s style of two backs leading a hole followed by the guy with the ball. Nothing too complicated to it. As for their passing game - send the guy who runs a 4.2 on a post or fly route and see if they can keep up with him. Even their trick plays aren't that complex. They are simple, different, and are executed well. Look at UT in 2004 and what the offense was able to do when it was simplified. I don't necessarily think complexity is always a good thing. Sometimes the KISS philosohpy is the best thing you can do.

Finally, what amazes me once again is the lack of development of young players and how we seem to be the only team in the SEC incapable of doing it. Auburn won that game last night with three freshman on the offensive line. That's borderline crazy.

But, who the heck knows. I do believe UT has played their toughest opponents talent wise. Not saying none of these upcoming teams are going to be cupcakes, but I don't think they will be as tough. Like I said, with that loss, UT is at least in the hunt again. Pretty sure it's not going to happen, but you never know.

Tennessee's defense looks like they are running with their feet in buckets. I don't know what's happened but I'm going to assume that the shine wore of at UT when all the new and exciting coaches entered the SEC and stole UT's thunder by leaving UT with leftovers. This is one explanation that makes sense. The talent pool has been depleted, especially at coaching.

Fulmer better have a /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

• 1 month later...

So ERA...do you intend to go to Atlanta to watch these Vols or not the first week of December? If the answer is yes then you are a hypocrite to the highest order.

Yes there's still Vandy and Kentucky left to play, but it looks like the Vols have gotten settled in finally. Now maybe all of the nonsensical "Fire Fulmer" noise can die a slow and ugly death...

And as far as the good of the Vol Nation...it is just fine the way it is thank you. Fulmer has proven he is more than capable of handling the Vols and for those short on memory the record now is 145-44 overall...101 games over .500 for the folks in Redneckville that can't do basic arithmetic...

So ERA...do you intend to go to Atlanta to watch these Vols or not the first week of December? If the answer is yes then you are a hypocrite to the highest order.

Yes there's still Vandy and Kentucky left to play, but it looks like the Vols have gotten settled in finally. Now maybe all of the nonsensical "Fire Fulmer" noise can die a slow and ugly death...

And as far as the good of the Vol Nation...it is just fine the way it is thank you. Fulmer has proven he is more than capable of handling the Vols and for those short on memory the record now is 145-44 overall...101 games over .500 for the folks in Redneckville that can't do basic arithmetic...

Someone originally from Rutledge is calling someone else a redneck? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

The way things have gone in this crazy football season,wouldn't it be fitting for the Vols to go to Atlanta and pay back LSU for knocking the Vols out of the BCS picture a few years ago??....I would love to see that but the Vols do still have to play Vandy and Kentucky...No sure wins there....Wouldn't it also fit into this crazy season for the Vols to beat Vandy next weekend and then have Kentucky break that long losing streak to the Vols??..I seem to remember that Navy did beat Notre Dame a couple weeks ago....Point being,I'm not getting all worked up for the SEC title game until the final seconds click off that clock in Lexington and the Vols have more points than Kentucky....The Vols did play better yesterday on the defensive side of the ball,at least like they knew what they were doing and did play with intensity..That has to continue..I just hope the players and coaches don't start any talk about turning any corners..They are not good enough to look beyond Vandy.....Just say I'm very,very cautiously optimistic..