Morristown East @ Jefferson County

canefan72

Hats off to coach Hat-cher and his staff for their stand, and they will be better off in the long run without the "me first" athletes, regardless of how talented they are. You must also tip your hat to Gary Johnson as well. In Larry Smith's first year he tried to dicipline some of the "star" athletes, only to be overruled by the old administration.

I have been following this team for the last three years. I liked Coach Smith but he was not the disciplinarian (did I spell that right?) that Coach Hatcher is. You don't see the stupid unsportsmanlike penalties you used to see. There was really no back lash from that, that I saw. The same guys doing the same things and not much seemed to be said. I could be wrong but it seems to me like CANEFAN was saying, the staff is building a young man as an individual to play on a team, as well as teaching the Team is greater than me concept.

He's not just building a team, he's helping to build young men.

If I'm not mistaken, Gary Johnson dismissed Larry Smith, looking for a change.

Coach Smith had "individuals" playing for themselves, getting what they could for "me", if you will.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called the mayor today of Jeff city and requested the rain be stopped by kickoff. Not that I mind the teams playing in it, I just don't want to sit in it. We will see what he can get done.

Hopefully he will forward that request to the Mayor of Dandridge since that's where they are playing!

Sorry CANE, I couldn't resist!

Coach Smith had "individuals" playing for themselves, getting what they could for "me", if you will.

Every team has some players that try to play for themselves. It is the coaching staff's responsibility to dicipline those players that do, and as a last resort remove them from the team if they don't get the picture. At a public school the coaches must have the backing of the administration to do so. Gary Johnson sometimes steps on your toes, and some do not like him for this, but you never have to wonder where he is coming from he will let you know. I personally like that about him. Jerry T was a super nice person, and a great person to work for, but he was sometimes too nice, if ya know what I mean.

Coach Smith could be very nice, but he could also be a Dr. Jekyll, and Mr.Hyde. He did lack the dicipline that coach Hatcher seems to have. To his credit however, he did dicipline several players shortly before the playoff game vs Tennesse high. Parents came to school complaining, and coach Smith was overruled by the administration.

While some of that team were "individuals" playing for themselves, MOST were team players and did not like what happend any more than the coaches did.

BTW, you guys are giving the mayors too much credit. For that kind of request you got to call Nashville.

Someone called in sick, so I`m stuck. Normally this would be grounds for finding a new job, but come Monday I`d be wondering how to pay the bills.

Jeff Co wound up with the best score --East wound up with the most

penalities.

Very costly loss for East losing two players in a game that meant no

more than bragging rights.

Neither team had any offense worth mentioning. Both teams played

good defense.

It was a very good night for a football game. Not a sprinkle the entire

game

Now M-E and Jeff Co can get down to business playing in their Conference.

I hope both teams found what they need to work on. Good luck to both.