Maryville 5th in nation

tnfootball4

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a nationally ranked Byrnes team a few years ago kill MBA. I never saw a team that good. That Byrnes team would wear out any Maryville team I ever seen. They would wear out any Tennessee team I ever seen. Byrnes could have beaten MBA 100-0 that night had they wanted to. MBA was a good team that year.

Check this Byrnes 2005 team out.

Maryville is ranked high because of all the games they have won.

I don't have a problem with national high school polls. They are good for the kids and coaches that have worked hard for years to be successful and gain recognition for their school. You just have to remember that your #5 ranking and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee. It also brings with it the extra pressure of having to live up to that meaningless ranking. I know Farragut has held national rankings in baseball and soccer, and it really hasn't amounted to hill of beans. I guess when your old and gray you can tell your grandkids about back in the day your team was ranked #5 in the whole country.

I believe that these rankings are good for High school football. These rankings are based on what the teams have done in the past and how many top prospects they have on thier team. These rankings give our athletes a chance to get looked at. I believe that Maryville deserves a top 5 ranking because they have dominated Tennessee and have some DI prospects (Burnette and the TE whose name escapes me right now). Are these polls 100% accurate, no, but no poll is going to be accurate. But it is a good measuring stick for recruiters and others to want to watch top notch football.

In addition, Alcoa is not a top 10 team. But should be a top 25, I dont know if they have any DI prospects.

Is Maryville really good? Yes.

Is it a given that Maryville is the best team in the state at any given point in time? No.

Is their record since GQ got there the best in the state of any team in that same timespan? I think so...

Is their record under GQ comparable to anyone in the nation? Absolutely.

Could they play with de la salle or some other monstrously large school out in CA or TX? I don't know. I don't have the luxury of seeing those teams. However, I do know that coach Blade at Hillsboro came from one of those CA powerhouses and he said after losing to MHS last year that MHS could play with any team he's ever coached or coached against. Maybe that was lip service but he's more of an authority than anyone on here who's said otherwise.

Also, I'm pretty sure that in some summer camp scrimmage type situations that a couple of TN teams have had some success in at least hanging with a couple of national programs like Hoover and the school that Tim Tebow came from (was that Lakeland or Mease maybe?).

I'm going to give my lil ole $0.02 comment. I'm a City of Memphis High School football fan who witnessed first hand the Maryville team when they beat Melrose 7-6 in the state championship game a while back. I've been a fan of the program ever since. It appears to me that the national recognition is due to Maryville's dominance in their classification. 4A football in Tennessee isn't chopped liver by any standard. Maryville earned this by consistently being an excellent TEAM. They just don't hand these types of accolades out lightly. They deserve it. Kudos to Maryville.

Maryville is getting to be like the Dallas Cowboys of old. They win so much on a consistent basis ... you either love'm or hate'm. But either way, they are well respected.

Maryville is the best team in the state of Tennessee and yes they deserve to be 5th in the nation but alcoa should be in the top 10 to. I think if Maryville wins state this year they will be 1st or 2nd in the nation by next year. If Maryville does go play a top 25 ranked nation team i do think they would win.

dumbest post ive read in quite some time. maryville is a great program that has had much success in 4A. they are the best team TN has to offer and should be in the top 25. i disagree with the #5. you go to texas and their high school ball is simply on a different level, CA and FL has some too. while maryville could compete with most of those teams, i believe the top 5 teams from each of those states would beat 'em 9 times out of 10. it is awfully lofty to seriously consider them #5 in the nation. as REBEL RON stated, maryville's national ranking can solely accredited to their extensive success(win streak). but this is not unheard of in high school. Independence, NC just had their 115-game winning streak ended a week ago. Northwestern in Miami is riding a 50-game win streak in addition to putting out at least 5 D1 recruits each year. and those guys play better competition.

and to even fathom the thought of alcoa in the top 50 is ABSURD. they are a quality TN team, but there are soo many great teams in this nation.

dumbest post ive read in quite some time. maryville is a great program that has had much success in 4A. they are the best team TN has to offer and should be in the top 25. i disagree with the #5. you go to texas and their high school ball is simply on a different level, CA and FL has some too. while maryville could compete with most of those teams, i believe the top 5 teams from each of those states would beat 'em 9 times out of 10. it is awfully lofty to seriously consider them #5 in the nation. as REBEL RON stated, maryville's national ranking can solely accredited to their extensive success(win streak). but this is not unheard of in high school. Independence, NC just had their 115-game winning streak ended a week ago. Northwestern in Miami is riding a 50-game win streak in addition to putting out at least 5 D1 recruits each year. and those guys play better competition.

and to even fathom the thought of alcoa in the top 50 is ABSURD. they are a quality TN team, but there are soo many great teams in this nation.

I would agree with you on most of this post. Alcoa may not be the best team in the nation,but are there 50 other teams as of right now producing D1 athletes like Alcoa! National rankings aren't just based on winning, but Alcoa seems to know how to do that pretty well too! They are in the top 50 in my opinion, but that's just me! They had to put Maryville in the top 25! Any team with a record like they have deserve to be in it. Congrats Rebs!