A lenoir city winning streek?

lcpanther67

Next coaches. The head coach builds his own staff. He is not assigned coaches.

Not true. Assistant coaches are hired by the school, or county. The head coach doesn't always get who he wants, but rather who the school is willing to hire. When there's a teaching position open the head coach can request that the school hire a teacher that is also a football coach, but ultimately the school makes the decision, not the head coach. I know nothing about the politics of the LC school system, but if the posts on here are correct about no support from the school administration, then the hiring of a teacher with football coaching experience is probably low on the priority list.

OK My point is not that the head coach can go out a hire a teacher to be an assistant, my point is the administration does NOT tell the head coach which teacher must be an assistant. He does have the power to hire any teacher in the LC system to help and also have volunteers from the community. If he does not want one of his assistants, he has the power to fire them. The mark of a good leader is the people with whom he surrounds himself.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone going to comment on the fact that the school system can barely financially support athletics here? I would think that has some kind of effect on this.

OK, you made a comment. If you were in charge of the money, what would you do to help the team win. Currently it looks like the coach has enough help, are you saying they need more money for more coaches. Their coaching supplements are much higher than at Loudon. Maybe it is quality not quantity.

I know how tough it is to run a program with little money, but there are innovative ways to get money. First clearly identify the need, for example if you need money for coach education, then put together a plan, determine how much you need, and then either raise the money or ask boosters to support. Just like a business puts together a business plan before asking the bank to loan the money. No one wants to give money (even the administration) to a program that can not clearly identify the need. Another example, a near by program needed money to have coaches attend seminars or classes. The ask booster to give annually money to support this program. The families got to name the scholarship after the family and it is presented to the coach at the banquet every year. Everybody wins and it did not cost the school anything.

We never have enough time or money, but good leaders know how to get the best from what they have.

OK, you made a comment. If you were in charge of the money, what would you do to help the team win. Currently it looks like the coach has enough help, are you saying they need more money for more coaches. Their coaching supplements are much higher than at Loudon. Maybe it is quality not quantity.

I know how tough it is to run a program with little money, but there are innovative ways to get money. First clearly identify the need, for example if you need money for coach education, then put together a plan, determine how much you need, and then either raise the money or ask boosters to support. Just like a business puts together a business plan before asking the bank to loan the money. No one wants to give money (even the administration) to a program that can not clearly identify the need. Another example, a near by program needed money to have coaches attend seminars or classes. The ask booster to give annually money to support this program. The families got to name the scholarship after the family and it is presented to the coach at the banquet every year. Everybody wins and it did not cost the school anything.

We never have enough time or money, but good leaders know how to get the best from what they have.

That's not what I'm referring to. When it's all over the news that the school system has to decide if they can even afford to have athletic teams, school buses, etc, that's a bigger problem. I don't know too many families that would want to move into an area that's having those kinds of budget problems, especially if they are looking for a football program for their son(s). That's why I say it's a budget issue. I understand that there is never enough money, but that had nothing to do with what I was talking about.

That's not what I'm referring to. When it's all over the news that the school system has to decide if they can even afford to have athletic teams, school buses, etc, that's a bigger problem. I don't know too many families that would want to move into an area that's having those kinds of budget problems, especially if they are looking for a football program for their son(s). That's why I say it's a budget issue. I understand that there is never enough money, but that had nothing to do with what I was talking about.

That was the Loudon County school system (all the schools in Loudon County including Loudon High, except Lenoir City), not the Lenoir City school system (LC High, LC Middle and LC Elementary). They are seperate (different school board, athletic director etc) and as far as I know the Lenoir City system hasn't had any money problems make the news, not saying they may not have some, just not any that I know of. All the schools in the Lenoir City end of the county (county and city) say they are overcrowded now, so someone must be moving in. I'm just repeating what teachers and other school people say, don't really know any hard numbers. I do know that Coach White has advertised in the past for coaches with teaching skills and thats where he got the ones he's has now, most are through what we like to call the "Maryville College Path To Coaching" system.

That was the Loudon County school system (all the schools in Loudon County including Loudon High, except Lenoir City), not the Lenoir City school system (LC High, LC Middle and LC Elementary). They are seperate (different school board, athletic director etc) and as far as I know the Lenoir City system hasn't had any money problems make the news, not saying they may not have some, just not any that I know of. All the schools in the Lenoir City end of the county (county and city) say they are overcrowded now, so someone must be moving in. I'm just repeating what techers and other school people say, don't really know any hard numbers.

I'll go ahead and eat a little bit of crow on that one, because yes, I always forget that Lenoir City schools and Loudon County schools are separate bodies. However, I do know that Lenoir City has had some of the same financial problems, not as severe as Loudon County, but nothing that would raise too many eyebrows. I apologize maxi. My best guess is that ever since the move to 4A, Lenoir City just can't hang with the 'big' dogs. Definitely correct me if I'm wrong, but LC was always a mediocre to decent 3A program, if I'm not mistaken. I just think that it's a big jump to make the move from 3A to 4A (particularly region 3-4A), and that makes it even tougher to win consistently. Think about who you have to beat regularly: Maryville, Central, West, Halls, and Powell, plus Clinton and South Doyle. That would be tough for any former 3A school. Ask Anderson County.

I'll go ahead and eat a little bit of crow on that one, because yes, I always forget that Lenoir City schools and Loudon County schools are separate bodies. However, I do know that Lenoir City has had some of the same financial problems, not as severe as Loudon County, but nothing that would raise too many eyebrows. I apologize maxi. My best guess is that ever since the move to 4A, Lenoir City just can't hang with the 'big' dogs. Definitely correct me if I'm wrong, but LC was always a mediocre to decent 3A program, if I'm not mistaken. I just think that it's a big jump to make the move from 3A to 4A (particularly region 3-4A), and that makes it even tougher to win consistently. Think about who you have to beat regularly: Maryville, Central, West, Halls, and Powell, plus Clinton and South Doyle. That would be tough for any former 3A school. Ask Anderson County.

Actually I think Lenoir City probably has an easier region schedule now. I think I would rather play Halls, Powell, Central, West and Clinton. than AE, Fulton and Catholic. The only team that doesn't fit into that category is Maryville. They are heads and shoulders above any of the others. Sure Central can beat your brains out some years but they are subject to the inevitable cycles that affect football programs, so they can be beat occasionally. The rest would have a hard time beating the top four teams in region 2-3A. So if you ask Anderson County, I think it won't matter to them if they move up.

Actually I think Lenoir City probably has an easier region schedule now. I think I would rather play Halls, Powell, Central, West and Clinton. than AE, Fulton and Catholic. The only team that doesn't fit into that category is Maryville. They are heads and shoulders above any of the others. Sure Central can beat your brains out some years but they are subject to the inevitable cycles that affect football programs, so they can be beat occasionally. The rest would have a hard time beating the top four teams in region 2-3A. So if you ask Anderson County, I think it won't matter to them if they move up.

We'll have to agree to disagree a little on this one. Central is a very good team year in and year out. This is the first year that I can remember in probably the past decade where they really look vulnerable. I'll admit, West hasn't always been that great of a team, not until a couple of years ago. I think that AE fits your definition of 'beats you brains out some years' better than any team in either region. Some years, AE is one of the best in the state, and other years, they can barely make the playoffs. Either way, region 2-3A has changed a lot ever since the last reclassification. The addition of Catholic made that region much more difficult. Before that, it was always a battle between Fulton, AE, and everyone else. I would say that Central, Fulton, and AE are usually on about the same level. That being said, I think both regions are pretty even. A few years ago, I'd have said region 3-4A was more difficult, but not now.