3A D. Lipscomb at 4A Stratford

vandy1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WE do have our minds focus this week on the so called 3a state runner-up. We have already watch the tape and we were not impressive the d.line is lacking and o.line we will dominate by me and my fellow teammates in crime. So you stangs better get for a butt whipping.

GO SPARTANS!!!

P.S #78 and #60 said will get to know the qb lot more in depth on friday

Your comments are so noted and have been shared with others.

If D.L. played local teams, such as MBA, Hillsboro, Father Ryan, Overton, etc. they would see teams they SHOULD be playing, but rather, they play schools who all together really shouldnt have a football team. Im not bad-talking D.L., just put some competition on your scheduele.

Translation: Stop pounding my team and go play division II schools, where I feel you belong.

Lipscomb will destroy Stratford this week by a score of around 42-6.

Hey vandy1, it was in 1995-1996 when Lipscomb won the season series with Pearl Cohn. In '95 the Firebirds were a very mediocre team and in '96 they finished the season at 5-5 and snuck into the playoffs in the final week of the regular season by virtue of their win over then region opponent Cheatham Co. The rest is history as in the postseason that year a sophomore tailback named Beard and a senior quarterback named Fitzgerald led the first ever #4 seed to a state title. In 1997 when PC repeated they lost the season opener to MBA and afterward they ran the table finishing at 14-1 and beat Maryville for the state title.

Hey Wowcraft, I can assure you sir that Lipscomb will face a very good opponent when they square off against Giles Co. later in the season (Week 8). Marshall Co. is another team I expect to be playing really good football by the time they lock horns with Lipscomb in Week 9. Lipscomb also has a big non-region test coming up in Week 5 when they play their arch rivals in Goodpasture.

Sorry BC, I've got to call you on the PC stats. 1995, Firebirds finished 6-4, the first winning season in school history and made playoffs for the 2nd time in school history. Had 2 1000 yd rushers in Robert Mitchell and Carlos Watkins. Lost to Haywood County. In 96, also finished 6-4, after starting 2-4, and was a #3 seed behind Father Ryan and Beech. Luck had it that Ryan and Beech lost early and Pearl-Cohn caught fire.

Sorry BC, I've got to call you on the PC stats. 1995, Firebirds finished 6-4, the first winning season in school history and made playoffs for the 2nd time in school history. Had 2 1000 yd rushers in Robert Mitchell and Carlos Watkins. Lost to Haywood County. In 96, also finished 6-4, after starting 2-4, and was a #3 seed behind Father Ryan and Beech. Luck had it that Ryan and Beech lost early and Pearl-Cohn caught fire.

I know the four playoff teams from the region that year were Father Ryan, Beech, Pearl Cohn, & Maplewood. I had always thought though that the Firebirds were the #4 seed. Cheatham County missed the playoffs that year at 6-4 overall. They picked the wrong four games to lose that year with a very talented team that featured 1,000 yard backs Japeth Ligon & Dustin Driver (actually the pick that preseason to win the region I believe). The Cubs losses were to Beech, Maplewood, Father Ryan, & Pearl Cohn. ALL OF THOSE GAMES WERE ROAD GAMES IN '96 AND THE CUBS FELL IN ALL OF THEM. The week ten loss at PC was a "do or die" type of game with the playoffs on the line but the Cubs just fell short to a team that as you said got hot (won their final 9 games of the year). Pearl Cohn's semifinal win over Fayette Ware (28-20) & the championship game victory over Knoxville Halls (18-14) were two very exciting contests.

In 1997 PC lost the season opener to a very good MBA bunch that finished as the DII-AA runner-up that year to unbeaten Father Ryan. After that game the Firebirds ran the table and went unbeaten. The closest game for the Firebirds that regular season came against Springfield (14-7). Other wins included at the time a win over an unbeaten Cheatham County team (who had wins over Smyrna & Hendersonville that year), Whites Creek, Maplewood, Stratford, Beech, Kenwood (first year school in 1997-1998) & Clarksville. Playoff teams in the region that year were PC, Springfield, Whites Creek, & Cheatham County (who beat Maplewood in week ten to get into the postseason). That's a loaded region when you consider that you #4 seed beat 5A schools such as Smyrna & Hendersonville.

That postseason was the single most dominant run that I have ever seen by a team. Pearl Cohn's playoff wins were by scores of 42-0 (Shelbyville), 35-0 (Whites Creek), 28-0 (Springfield), & 47-0 (Dyersburg). That's a total of 152-0 for the month of November and equals out to an average score of 38-0 per playoff contest. Of course it's easy to do this when you have a defense that up front features John Henderson, Reggie Ridley, & Ty Lawless. I believe Kenneth Gates made every tackle when one of those guys weren't killing someone. When you looked on the offensive side of the football you had Santonio Beard running the football. Fitzgerald had graduated the previous year but luck would have it that Maplewood starting QB Danny Perry fell right into PC's lap that year and he may have been even better. Henderson was a beast at TE. Albert Washington & Joey Martin were just gigantic on that offensive line. UT basketball star Ron Slay & Pratt weren't a bad pair of WRs to throw the football to either. THAT'S WHY I ALWAYS SAY THAT THE PEARL COHN TEAMS OF THE MID-TO-LATE 90'S MAY HAVE BEEN THE BEST COLLECTION OF TALENT TO HIT THE GRIDIRON IN THIS STATE!!!!!

I know the four playoff teams from the region that year were Father Ryan, Beech, Pearl Cohn, & Maplewood. I had always thought though that the Firebirds were the #4 seed. Cheatham County missed the playoffs that year at 6-4 overall. They picked the wrong four games to lose that year with a very talented team that featured 1,000 yard backs Japeth Ligon & Dustin Driver (actually the pick that preseason to win the region I believe). The Cubs losses were to Beech, Maplewood, Father Ryan, & Pearl Cohn. ALL OF THOSE GAMES WERE ROAD GAMES IN '96 AND THE CUBS FELL IN ALL OF THEM. The week ten loss at PC was a "do or die" type of game with the playoffs on the line but the Cubs just fell short to a team that as you said got hot (won their final 9 games of the year). Pearl Cohn's semifinal win over Fayette Ware (28-20) & the championship game victory over Knoxville Halls (18-14) were two very exciting contests.

In 1997 PC lost the season opener to a very good MBA bunch that finished as the DII-AA runner-up that year to unbeaten Father Ryan. After that game the Firebirds ran the table and went unbeaten. The closest game for the Firebirds that regular season came against Springfield (14-7). Other wins included at the time a win over an unbeaten Cheatham County team (who had wins over Smyrna & Hendersonville that year), Whites Creek, Maplewood, Stratford, Beech, Kenwood (first year school in 1997-1998) & Clarksville. Playoff teams in the region that year were PC, Springfield, Whites Creek, & Cheatham County (who beat Maplewood in week ten to get into the postseason). That's a loaded region when you consider that you #4 seed beat 5A schools such as Smyrna & Hendersonville.

That postseason was the single most dominant run that I have ever seen by a team. Pearl Cohn's playoff wins were by scores of 42-0 (Shelbyville), 35-0 (Whites Creek), 28-0 (Springfield), & 47-0 (Dyersburg). That's a total of 152-0 for the month of November and equals out to an average score of 38-0 per playoff contest. Of course it's easy to do this when you have a defense that up front features John Henderson, Reggie Ridley, & Ty Lawless. I believe Kenneth Gates made every tackle when one of those guys weren't killing someone. When you looked on the offensive side of the football you had Santonio Beard running the football. Fitzgerald had graduated the previous year but luck would have it that Maplewood starting QB Danny Perry fell right into PC's lap that year and he may have been even better. Henderson was a beast at TE. Albert Washington & Joey Martin were just gigantic on that offensive line. UT basketball star Ron Slay & Pratt weren't a bad pair of WRs to throw the football to either. THAT'S WHY I ALWAYS SAY THAT THE PEARL COHN TEAMS OF THE MID-TO-LATE 90'S MAY HAVE BEEN THE BEST COLLECTION OF TALENT TO HIT THE GRIDIRON IN THIS STATE!!!!!

I concur. I love your thorough knowledge of Nashville public school football.

Translation: Stop pounding my team and go play division II schools, where I feel you belong.

Just curious of why you feel Lipscomb belongs in D II? Lipscomb doesn't operate like a BA, MBA, McCallie, Father Ryan, BGA....no athletic aid offered at DLHS. I think there is only 3 private schools playing in 3A. Knoxville Catholic and Notre Dame in Chattanooga and they do not offer athletic aid as well. Not trying to start that Private vs. Public debate...just like to know your background and thoughts about the Lipscomb Program...what you know and don't know.

Just curious of why you feel Lipscomb belongs in D II? Lipscomb doesn't operate like a BA, MBA, McCallie, Father Ryan, BGA....no athletic aid offered at DLHS. I think there is only 3 private schools playing in 3A. Knoxville Catholic and Notre Dame in Chattanooga and they do not offer athletic aid as well. Not trying to start that Private vs. Public debate...just like to know your background and thoughts about the Lipscomb Program...what you know and don't know.

Through the years on this website, GOSH I AM GETTING OLD, there has been one undeniable fact that I have discovered to be true. There are some people on here who have nothing better to do with their days than to just gripe & complain. There are others who just want to spend their days doing whatever they possibly can to "ruffle someone's feathers". Finally there are those who are just jealous and misguided and have no other alternatives than to talk trash behind a keyboard.

Now don't get me wrong because not everyone on this website is like this. There have been many who I have met from talking to them on this website and there are many more who I hope to get the chance to someday meet because I truly enjoy reading their comments. Someone like ruse? from Knoxville is a guy who falls under the latter of those two catergories. You vandy1 are someone who falls under the first of those two categories. The entire crew that I get a chance to see at least once during the football season from Lipscomb is a first class group of induviduals. I am very much looking forward to making the trip back over to West End to play you guys at the Reese-Smith Athletic Complex NEXT WEEK!!!! Other games in the region that night include Marshall-Page & Giles-Spring Hill. This will make for a great night of football in Region 5-3A.

Deal with all of this garbage for two more days folks and then this thread will be history. Next week Lipscomb hosts Cheatham Co. and then we can just concentrate on talking football and drop this stupid public vs private debate that just seems to lead to a bunch of bickering and griping everytime someone starts something.

ON A SIDE NOTE VANDY1: tell the cook next week that I am requesting those excellent ham & biscuits that we all got to enjoy during my last game that I called over at Lipscomb (2005 second round playoff matchup).

I don't feel that Lipscomb should be playing in Division II. I was trying to give "wowcraft" and hard time and be a little sarcastic. He seemed to feel that Lipscomb played soft competition when that just isn't the case. I have nothing negative to say about D.L. Seems to be a very successful, hard working program.

Peter Powell's Game Day Notes featuring the contest between David Lipscomb and Stratford has now been posted on the Mustangfanpage. The site includes special features, rosters, depth charts, video clips and much, much more. The Game will be carried live over WKDA and WAMB AM Radio and live over the internet at the Mustangfanpage. Click here to visit the Mustangfanpage.

Where Everyday is Game Day!

DL rolls. Giles Co. is a very good team this year with a stout run defense. I really like the Dangerfield kid. That should be a nice game. Jury is still out on Marshall Co., as it is most seasons. It's the whole Forrest Gump "don't know what you get/box of chocolates" deal. DL probably goes 4A at the 09 count for the 2010 season. ND as well. I could honestly see Knox. Catholic going 5A with the multiplier. They appear to be in the midst of a significant "bricks & mortar" addition. Then again, with the ongoing drumbeat of public/private, all three could wind up in DII or whatever it may be titled at that point in time. Easy on the biscuits BC:)

ruse?