Hampton Vs. Creekers

longhairdontcare

Unless Elizabethton makes it to the third or fourth round of the playoffs, I'll see the Dogs some in the postseason. When the Cyclones get done I'm going to doublecover the HHS playoff games with Rick.

---

Now about the poll, I'll stand by Tim when he said he gave Hampton a #1 vote. I think the AP made a mistake. They do that every now and then. From now on we're going to list our votes on Monday's paper and run the AP team on Tuesday's paper so everyone will see how we voted.

If you'll look at the poll: AP POLL

It has 14 first place votes listed in Class A and Division II. There were 15 papers that voted. There are 15 first place votes listed in Class 5A, 4A, 3A and 2A. One first place vote is missing in 1A and D-II. To vote in the AP Poll, the way they got it set up with the online process is you pick a separate team in ten slots from a dropdown menu. You have to vote for ALL SIX classifications (5A-DII) and at the end submit your vote to have your vote counted. I welcome anybody to drop by the Star and knock on the side door and watch us vote if anybody'd like a look at it. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Check this link - 15 media members voted: Chattanooga Times Free Press, The Leaf-Chronicle (Clarksville), The Daily Herald (Columbia), State Gazette (Dyersburg), Elizabethton Star, The Greeneville Sun, Kingsport Times-News, The Knoxville News Sentinel, The Daily Times (Maryville), The Commercial Appeal (Memphis), The Daily News Journal, The Tennessean (Nashville), The Paris Post-Intelligencer, Union City Daily Messenger and WCMT, Martin.

I wouldn't lie on here or to any of y'all. Tim gave Hampton a one. If they don't mention it, there's nothing we can do about it afterwards. I'm not going to bug Teresa at AP about it because she has to cover the Titans, Preds and everything down there and then she does the AP poll on her own time for the kids. I'm thankful she takes the time to do it.

WH

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All that I am going say to everyone from the creek is that I told you so. It is every year when Hampton is getting ready to play unaka. That everyone from unaka says that Hampton has something coming and saying how they are going to whip Hampton all over the field. Well all I have to say is that same old stuff coming from the creek and always ending in the same result. With Hampton kicking the sh?t out of unaka every time. It was funny watching kickoffs and punts to see unaka players go flying to the ground and Hampton players making the plays. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> So all I have to say is just go back to the creek and make some excuses on the game or what ever, because I am sure the creekers where thinking we will get you next year. Like I said before same old stuff different year. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

i agree,i had a guy from the creek saying to me we had something coming to us.i commented on last years game and hoped he new what he was talking about.it was real close to last years game looks like the rangers are some better this year 7 points better.lol.

Actually you did receive a first place vote from me. I'm not sure why it didn't show but you did receive one. I'm a homer. I voted Hampton 1, Unaka 3 and Cloudland 5 for what it's worth. I'm "LOYAL" to all the county schools. I felt like they had earned it. It might not have reflected in the polls but you did receive a first place vote. Heck, the Press paper didn't vote or you might have been higher.

As for me being wrong again, think about the pick! It would be sorry on my part as a parent to look my kids in the eye and say, I don't believe you have a chance. We will soon but not this year. So with that said, call me wrong once again.

As for Hampton, they'll get the Star's vote as the # 1 team when the polls come out on Tuesday.

I'm a Bulldog 9 out of 10 weeks during the regular season. I hope you run the table and wind up playing in Murfreesboro.

My posting days have been long over but I just wanted to let the Hampton fans "that I know and respect" how I voted. They've got some classy young men as does Unaka. I wish both teams much success in the last half of the season.

TC

If you are so loyal to all county schools, did you vote Happy Valley or Elizabethton in the top ten in their respective class?? If not, you should have. They have "earned" it as much as Unaka or Cloudland. What have they done so outstanding to have "earned" your vote?? The polls are not reflections of who you think earned what. The polls are an aggragraite representation of the top teams in the state based on input from sport writers that should have a knowledge of the teams. By you ranking Unaka #3 and the inclusion of Cloudland in your poll because "they earned it" you are doing nothing but making a mockery of the poll. The person in charge of the poll should revoke your and/or The Star's voting privilege until you can do it correctly.

If you are so loyal to all county schools, did you vote Happy Valley or Elizabethton in the top ten in their respective class?? If not, you should have. They have "earned" it as much as Unaka or Cloudland. What have they done so outstanding to have "earned" your vote?? The polls are not reflections of who you think earned what. The polls are an aggragraite representation of the top teams in the state based on input from sport writers that should have a knowledge of the teams. By you ranking Unaka #3 and the inclusion of Cloudland in your poll because "they earned it" you are doing nothing but making a mockery of the poll. The person in charge of the poll should revoke your and/or The Star's voting privilege until you can do it correctly.

unaka was 4-0 undefeated

cloudland was 3-1, undefeated among class a teams

i sure the writers from the star have no ideal what teams have outside of northeast tennessee.

i agree with them ranking unaka and cloudland based on their record.

now that both got beat last week i doubt if both teams will get votes this week from tim or wes

elizabethton is now 2-2

happy valley 1-3

play so far didn't merit any votes.

Eliz. is 2-2 and HV is 1-3 and they deserve to be ranked? Don't worry Cloudland won't recieve any this week. Hampton is the ONLY C. Cnty team that DESERVES to be ranked.Yes I said it, they have earned it with their play on the field. Nobody else has so far.

I'm just wondering where ole Ranger Roy is, seems like he was wanting to know just how good these Bullgods were a few weeks back. He seemed to think that Unaka would't have any problen with this little ole team. Shoot Union Co tied Oneida 7 to 7 remember. GET REAL ROY

I think ole Ranger Roy is quiet like the rest of us Rangers this week.

Just curious, when did Oneida play Union county? I can't find the score.

Eliz. is 2-2 and HV is 1-3 and they deserve to be ranked? Don't worry Cloudland won't recieve any this week. Hampton is the ONLY C. Cnty team that DESERVES to be ranked.Yes I said it, they have earned it with their play on the field. Nobody else has so far.

I was saying that based on Starman's logic, Elizabethton & Happy Valley had earned it and he should have voted for them like he did lil ol' Unaka. But I'm with you 100%... Hampton is the only one that has earned it or deserves it.

I think ole Ranger Roy is quiet like the rest of us Rangers this week.

Just curious, when did Oneida play Union county? I can't find the score.

Jamboree, they tied 7 to 7, but they also played them a week or two before and destroyed them. I told ole Roy not to put too much stock in that .

Deja vu

Tim wrote the EXACT same article last year. Gee why does he keep talking about the "young players" Unaka's sophmores, freshmen and 8th grade team????????? He is sooo transparent. He will do everything in his power to hurt the Hampton teams and promote his own agenda

TheDogFather.

By beating teams the way they do, the second string gets valuable varsity game experience against the opposing team's first string unit. Most opposing teams opt to keep it first sting in to try and keep the score close. Hampton benefits from this.

In order to get better, kids must get time on the playing field against better players and J.C. Campbell knows that. That's why they simply reload each year. They're not ranked among the state's best every season for nothing. That's one of the reasons the ageless wonder is so successful.

Rumor is that Hampton may be moving up to 2-A when reclassification time roles around in 2009. It might make Ranger fans mad about what I'm about to say but I sure hope not.

I played on a Bulldog squad that was ranked fourth in the state after starting the season 5-0 in 1976. We finished the year with a record of 6-4. All four losses were to schools much bigger than us. In some of those games, we took a physical whipping. In three we simply didn't have a chance.

Moving the Bulldogs to 2-A would weaken what has the makings to be a very strong Mountain East Conference.

Somebody said bring in Hancock County. The Indians lost to North Greene 22-8 who fell to Grace Christian 63-0. This writer would rather watch a snapper mower cut grass or paint dry on a barnyard fence that to witness that type of contest.

Unaka versus Hampton is the game that Carter County fans want to see. If you're a competitor you want to play compete against the best. Hampton in the Mountain East Conference makes the league much more attractive.

They say that all sports run in cycles.

If that's the case, the Bulldogs have been riding a motorcycle for the past 40 years and Unaka peddling a unicycle. Ranger fans are hoping they run out of gas soon. They're ready to pass on the one wheel ride and cruise down victory lane atop the Harley.

Coach J.C. Campbell is now 36-4 versus the Rangers in his 40th season.

Victories have been hard to come by for the maroon. Some games have been close and some have not. Friday's contest was the latter.

But the bottom line is that this game needs to be played every season. Hampton versus Unaka is part of a tradition that goes back well into the 50's.

It's what local fans want to see but more importantly, it what they'll remember in years to come.

If the good Lord lets me live until next year, I try and be at Goddard Field for the next meeting. Until then, Go Bulldogs, Go Rangers.

------

Tim Chambers is a sports writer for the Elizabethton Star. He may be reached via e-mail at tchambers@starhq.com

After what Hampton's jvs did to Unaka last night, Unaka may be waiting quite a while to get their next victory over Hampton. Hampton losses a heck of a senior class this year , but I wouldn't get to feeling too sorry for them , they have a pretty good group of young players . It's sort of like Cloudland was for so long, success breeds success.

After what Hampton's jvs did to Unaka last night, Unaka may be waiting quite a while to get their next victory over Hampton. Hampton losses a heck of a senior class this year , but I wouldn't get to feeling too sorry for them , they have a pretty good group of young players . It's sort of like Cloudland was for so long, success breeds success.

Congrats to Hampton on the #3 ranking! I jinxed your Cloudland boys talking bout no points on defense. Oh well, 1 touchdown scored in 10 games is pretty good!

Too bad for the long distance drive. You ought to see this Watts kid coming to town Friday night. He is averaging 8.5 yds/carry and 1 intereception a game. And he's a Sophmore. As a football fan, I can't wait to see this kid in person. Might be watching him on Saturdays. Should be a stout test for our team