Recruiting Redux

itzme

Hey, while watching the Ravenwood v. Brentwood game on Comcast last night, I noticed that it was "Youth Football Night". Apparently, all the kids from local youth football leagues got in free if they wore their team jersey.

Is this a recruiting violation?

If not, could BA do the same thing without an uprising by the publics?

My answers are yes, and you better believe it!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Specific players weren't targeted.

Yes, I realize that. Don't get me wrong, I really think it was a harmless program. My only point was that if a private school did the same kind of program, there would be an uproar. Just trying to get people to think about some of the inconsistencies.

There is also nothing wrong if the kids receiving the free tickets are in the natural feeder school... something else to think about...

how did the people at the gate know whether or not they came from the feeder schools? I'm assuming the youth football leagues aren't affiliated with schools...what if some kids showed up from Nashville wearing jersies from their Nashville youth teams? Were they to be denied admission?

BA (or any other private) deserves the same opportunity...and like itzme, I am highly doubtful that this sort of thing would be well received if it had been done by a private school...

CHEATERS!!! CHEATERS!!!

Sorry guys.... just trying to give itzme the "uproar" that he wants!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Like Indian said, there is nothing wrong with giving complimentary tickets so long as indvidual players aren't singled out to receive them... There is also nothing wrong if the kids receiving the free tickets are in the natural feeder school... something else to think about...

I don't think that 8 year olds can be clasified as from "feeder schools". Plus, with the percentage of kids in Brentwood who attend private schools, my bet is that a significant percentage of the free attendees go to St. Paul's, Oak Hill, etc.

I think I'll suggest that the MBA v. BA game in a couple weeks should be another youth football night!

While we're on the topic...

Here's another scenario for you to consider. A local youth football league publishes a program and sells ads in it as a fundraiser. A private school buys a full page ad in the program, and it comes in the form of an open letter to all youth football players in that league. The letter wishes the players good luck in the upcoming season, and then goes through a litany of outstanding performances/championships, etc. that this private school's football team has accomplished over the years. The open letter is signed by the head football coach at the private school.

Would you consider this to be a violation of the recruiting rule?