Recruiting Redux

itzme

CHEATERS!!! CHEATERS!!!

Sorry guys.... just trying to give itzme the "uproar" that he wants!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Like Indian said, there is nothing wrong with giving complimentary tickets so long as indvidual players aren't singled out to receive them... There is also nothing wrong if the kids receiving the free tickets are in the natural feeder school... something else to think about...

So, who are the 'natural feeder schools' for the small privates??

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we're on the topic...

Here's another scenario for you to consider. A local youth football league publishes a program and sells ads in it as a fundraiser. A private school buys a full page ad in the program, and it comes in the form of an open letter to all youth football players in that league. The letter wishes the players good luck in the upcoming season, and then goes through a litany of outstanding performances/championships, etc. that this private school's football team has accomplished over the years. The open letter is signed by the head football coach at the private school.

Would you consider this to be a violation of the recruiting rule?

I don't think so, but it's a fine line...it seems as though this ad is just reprinting factual information. The ad, as you've described it, doesn't say anything that suggests these kids should apply to the school only because they are football players, much less that they are entitled to any sort of special treatment as such. Though it is curious that the ad would include a list of the school's football accomplishments specifically, because the implicit message is that "we are seeking football players, football players are important to us, if you are a football player, you have special value to us..." If it's MBA that did this, I would prefer it if they had just printed something like "best of luck, signed the folks at MBA...Gentleman, Scholar, Athlete...to learn more visit our website."

So, who are the 'natural feeder schools' for the small privates??

The small privates themselves if they have elementary school classrooms. It would equate to roughly 3 classrooms of 20-30 kids with about half of those being boys.

For Catholic schools, it would be the traditional parochial traditional feeders to certain schools since JP2 is now in the picture.

Personally, I agree with the original poster that the Salem witch trials would be a cake walk compared to the outrage there would be if BA did the same. But, at the same time the TSSAA doesn't regulate at the elementary/primary school level so their level of influence and policing stops at the "relationship" between junior high and high school in terms of "benefits" and whether or not the child attends a traditional feeder school. It is a loophole that I'm sure the publics will continue to use to push the envelope - and I can see privates trying the same. I know if I was the principal at a private, I would be doing the same as the publics.

I don't think so, but it's a fine line...it seems as though this ad is just reprinting factual information. The ad, as you've described it, doesn't say anything that suggests these kids should apply to the school only because they are football players, much less that they are entitled to any sort of special treatment as such. Though it is curious that the ad would include a list of the school's football accomplishments specifically, because the implicit message is that "we are seeking football players, football players are important to us, if you are a football player, you have special value to us..." If it's MBA that did this, I would prefer it if they had just printed something like "best of luck, signed the folks at MBA...Gentleman, Scholar, Athlete...to learn more visit our website."

I tend to agree. I don't think it's undue influence. It is, however, an interesting example of the "fine line" you speak of.

BTW, this really did happen.

youth football (or basketball/baseball/etc.) in general is rife with opportunities for "questionable" though legal tactics...

For example, a bunch of young alums from school "X" coach and ref in a certain youth football league. These guys have no formal affiliation with the school "X" but are nevertheless proud alums who spend a lot of time at youth practice discussing the glory years at "X" and this Friday's game involving "X," which the kids pick up on. Whenever a particular player on their youth team shows some promise, the coaches start talking about how good he would look in an "X" uniform. These coaches end up spending a fair amount of time with the parents, extolling the virtues of "X," describing how much their experience at "X" meant to them, etc...."you should really talk to the adminstrators over there; there is financial aid available if you qualify. I know coach ____ and I will put in a good word for you with him."

Now in many cases, a bunch of kids had planned to attend "X" anyways...but in some cases they are legit fence sitters who only needed a slight push to take an interest in school "X." Maybe it would have been a more difficult decision but after, say, 3-4 years of hearing all about how great Johnny will do at "X," the family is convinced that it is worth the effort and extra tuition $$. Not to say that these factors are the deciding factors, far from it. But clearly the public school to which Johnny is zoned is now behind the 8 ball from the get go.

youth football (or basketball/baseball/etc.) in general is rife with opportunities for "questionable" though legal tactics...

For example, a bunch of young alums from school "X" coach and ref in a certain youth football league. These guys have no formal affiliation with the school "X" but are nevertheless proud alums who spend a lot of time at youth practice discussing the glory years at "X" and this Friday's game involving "X," which the kids pick up on. Whenever a particular player on their youth team shows some promise, the coaches start talking about how good he would look in an "X" uniform. These coaches end up spending a fair amount of time with the parents, extolling the virtues of "X," describing how much their experience at "X" meant to them, etc...."you should really talk to the adminstrators over there; there is financial aid available if you qualify. I know coach ____ and I will put in a good word for you with him."

Now in many cases, a bunch of kids had planned to attend "X" anyways...but in some cases they are legit fence sitters who only needed a slight push to take an interest in school "X." Maybe it would have been a more difficult decision but after, say, 3-4 years of hearing all about how great Johnny will do at "X," the family is convinced that it is worth the effort and extra tuition $$. Not to say that these factors are the deciding factors, far from it. But clearly the public school to which Johnny is zoned is now behind the 8 ball from the get go.

A perfect example.

The folks affiliated with public schools do similar kinds of just under the surface nudging. "Wow Johnny, wait 'til you play for XXX High School with all these guys. They have a great coach there who will really like you...in fact I've talked with him about you..." etc., etc.

This is very similar to a situation that has been common place for residents of Rutherford county - especially the city of Murfreesboro proper. Quick question: if a public does this is it wrong? Secondary quick question: if a private does this is it wrong? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

No one is allowed to recruit, public or private. It happens in both private and public schools. TSSAA does not allow either to recruit but it is so hard to prove.

Exactly correct...recruiting while illegal in all divisions and classes under TSSAA rules, occurs in all divisions and classes...privates are accused more often, but it happens in publics too...I have read this board enough to hear accusations against many public schools...use any mutipler you want, split if you like...but you will never stop it...it requires integrity...schools that have it regardless of public or private play by the rules...schools that don't have it cheat...no town, or school has cornered the market

Exactly correct...recruiting while illegal in all divisions and classes under TSSAA rules, occurs in all divisions and classes...privates are accused more often, but it happens in publics too...I have read this board enough to hear accusations against many public schools...use any mutipler you want, split if you like...but you will never stop it...it requires integrity...schools that have it regardless of public or private play by the rules...schools that don't have it cheat...no town, or school has cornered the market

You're right, of course, but it also would require that anyone (parents, students, etc.) not make any comments like this whatsoever either. That's simply impossible to control.