Best QB's in East Tennessee

foreverknown7

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the emergence of Curt Phillips this year, lets talk about some of the other greats to play high school football in East Tennessee.

Emergence...bad choice of words. Curt Phillips emerged in '05, the first year he made All-State as a Soph. Curt is currently #10 in the nation and #1 in Tennessee. That's a bit more than emerging. Had he not commited to the 'Badgers he no doubt would have been hearing from many more high profile schools and probably will anyway. There are many more very good and maybe even great QB's currently in Tennessee and Sullivan South has a couple of them. Curt however, is on a national level not a regional level. I suggest you make time to see him play before he goes up North. It would be worth the diversion of your normal Friday night routine.

cade thompson at maryville (SCarolina- transfered to UTM i think though), joey matthews at Sevier Co (UT) coleman from mcallie (UT), and duran furgeson at DB (baseball for UK- could have easily been D1 QB though)

helton at knox central and price at anderson co. were both great HS gamers with talent, but not quite D1- mainly due to size. Sevier Co. also had a couple of other QBs that had good HS careers though i cant remember their names.

pennington was a little more than 10 years ago. i want to say he graduated around '95. he has made it farther than any recent east tn qb that i can think of, but he was not the best hs qb i have seen. though i was in middle school i think when i saw him play. didnt really get to air it out at webb of course though.whatever happened to cody baugh?

With the emergence of Curt Phillips this year, lets talk about some of the other greats to play high school football in East Tennessee.

Wesley Dulaney of David Crockett posted some huge numbers in '00 and '01...he qb'd the Pioneers to the postseason in 2000. He was also an excellent student.

I think Baugh went to Tusculum.

Steve Spurrier. No wait, that was a bit more than 10 years ago.

When was Chad Pennington playing in east TN??

Chad played at Knox Webb High School from 91-94 seasons, and back then you wouldn't have thought that Chad would make it all the way to the NFL. But then again he went to a great college (Marshall) and had a great career there( One D1-AA National Championship, Three MAC Championships, and 2 Bowl wins) broke several records which still stand today and a first round draft pick. Chad may have not had an impressive high school career but he for sure did in college and still is having a good career in the pros.

Chad played at Knox Webb High School from 91-94 seasons, and back then you wouldn't have thought that Chad would make it all the way to the NFL. But then again he went to a great college (Marshall) and had a great career there( One D1-AA National Championship, Three MAC Championships, and 2 Bowl wins) and breaking several records which still stand today. Chad may have not had an impressive high school career but he sure did in college and still is having a good career in the pros.

agree. People also forget that Spurrier was in the NFL for about 8 years though it wasn't that memorable.