Coach Chip Kell Quits as Temple Coach

takinit2thehoop

What's the deal? Coach Kell is the head coach. Coach Kell is the co-head coach. Coach Kell is the defensive coordinator. Coach Kell is "done" according to the Times Free Press: http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/t...&zoneid=133

I suspect that there is more to this story than having 10 holes and 8 fingers. Can anyone else read between the lines?

How long before the players are "done?"

Reading between the lines would include Coach Kell possibly being in the spring football practices in 06 and 07 when ineligible players were recruited, coached, etc. while not enrolled at Temple. Skogen, Chastain, and Kell were probably all there in 06 with Dan Wadley as the athletic director. In 07 you had Chastain and Kell running things with more ineligible kids not enrolled in Temple but participating in spring football practice. Wadley, Skogen, Chastain, and Kell are all gone from Temple now just one week before Temple goes before the Board of Control to appeal the violations that they are charged with. They can argue that those involved and or responsible for Temple's misdeeds are no longer associated with the school and some leniency should be shown. It is like when a college is caught for violations and they self-impose penalties before they get hit harder. Just a theory, but it could be what lies between the lines!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading between the lines would include Coach Kell possibly being in the spring football practices in 06 and 07 when ineligible players were recruited, coached, etc. while not enrolled at Temple. Skogen, Chastain, and Kell were probably all there in 06 with Dan Wadley as the athletic director. In 07 you had Chastain and Kell running things with more ineligible kids not enrolled in Temple but participating in spring football practice. Wadley, Skogen, Chastain, and Kell are all gone from Temple now just one week before Temple goes before the Board of Control to appeal the violations that they are charged with. They can argue that those involved and or responsible for Temple's misdeeds are no longer associated with the school and some leniency should be shown. It is like when a college is caught for violations and they self-impose penalties before they get hit harder. Just a theory, but it could be what lies between the lines!

Let's keep the discussion to the coaching change and not the TSSAA issues.

Temple has put themselves in this situation. personally the fact that in there first 4 games they have been outscored 153-2 is great. After all the years of cheating this is what they deserve.

How many yearS have they been cheating in football? They were barely scrapping by with winning seasons and barely made the playoffs until last year... If they had been cheating in football for years they were really bad at it.

Let's keep the discussion to the coaching change and not the TSSAA issues.

I thought I was. I was responding to a Temple poster asking if there was something more to the coaching change than what was in the paper. I answered the question that was posed to the best of my knowlege/speculation/opinion. Maybe you think the question should not have been asked?

Personally, I dont think anything can be gained from his standpoint by quitting in the middle of the year, except some embarrassment. It's to bad he could not have stayed until the end of the year. What kind of message is he sending to his players? Good luck to Coach Marcum. His job will be anything but easy, but I know he's really got a heart for the kids. Its gotta be hard to stay positive in that kind of situation.

I could be wrong but from my read of the article in the paper, he was ousted. Why would he resign a week after the best athletes in the school come out and play football and take over starting positions on the team? Unfortunatley I was unable to attend the game this past Friday, but from what I have heard over the last few days about the nonsense that went on, it would be no surprise to see a couple of more coaches walk away and some players.

I could be wrong but from my read of the article in the paper, he was ousted. Why would he resign a week after the best athletes in the school come out and play football and take over starting positions on the team? Unfortunatley I was unable to attend the game this past Friday, but from what I have heard over the last few days about the nonsense that went on, it would be no surprise to see a couple of more coaches walk away and some players.

Pasture-

I really don't want you to get defensive after I say this - however, you have been nothing but loyal to temple throughout this entire mess- some would argue even blindly loyal- however the last couple of weeks- after reading your posts you seem to be "fed up" with some of the goings on around the school...just wondering if their actions are really pushing you away...or if you are just venting of sorts..

Wadley quit after 25+ years at temple b/c they were paying him double+ what he was making at temple- and he would have less responsibilities. Skogen left because of the exact same reasons that kell quit- it was unfair to the kids- they could not be competitive and pretty soon kids are going to get hurt. (to bad people didn't listen to skogen last year)Kell was actually begged to remain on staff because it showed support to the kids, and didn't "look as bad" for the school- as stepping down-- would, and did. Chastain was fired for lying to the administration about things- several times....

Nice try reading "between the lines" most people use that phrase as a good excuse to make things up, gossip, and slander...