Coach Chip Kell Quits as Temple Coach

takinit2thehoop

Since they have started the season they need to finish it but IMO they should have taken Coach Skogens advice and just played a JV schedule this year. The young kids could have improved without getting beat on so much.

If they had just played JV would they have been able to play varsity the following year? And what grades are eligible for JV?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this whole situation shows how pathetic the people over at Temple are- they can't get anyone- they can't keep anyone- their admin. makes awful decisions, and like i said earlier they are willing to jeopardize their basketball season for the sake of a possible 1-9 football performance...this place is a joke....

Why do you continue to come on here making statements like that after respectable Grace people have asked you to quit? You are an embarrasment to yourself and the school you claim to support. At least change your name to hide the fact that you're a Grace person.

I know nothing of this topic, so I won't pass too much judgement here. But sometimes I think a coach steps down from a coaching position because a team is losing and they just don't want to be part of a bad situation anumore. And I'm CERTAINLY not saying that's the situation here. But last year in a particular East Tn. county a head coach stepped down as he put it to "spend more time in church." Granted I'm not knocking that, but I just didn't understand-I mean how many church services are held during practice and games? He said that a 2-18 record the past two years had nothing to do with it -but sorry I just wasn't buying it. I'll say no more, because I've never been a coach, but I still believe that there is such a thing as "bailing out."

I know nothing of this topic, so I won't pass too much judgement here. But sometimes I think a coach steps down from a coaching position because a team is losing and they just don't want to be part of a bad situation anumore. And I'm CERTAINLY not saying that's the situation here. But last year in a particular East Tn. county a head coach stepped down as he put it to "spend more time in church." Granted I'm not knocking that, but I just didn't understand-I mean how many church services are held during practice and games? He said that a 2-18 record the past two years had nothing to do with it -but sorry I just wasn't buying it. I'll say no more, because I've never been a coach, but I still believe that there is such a thing as "bailing out."

I don't think Kell quit b/c he was losing- he wouldn't have ever taken the job if he was worried about losing...what he said in the article was .... "I felt it was unfair for our kids from a competitive standpoint and I didn't want any of them to get hurt. I'm attached to those kids, and everything I've done -- from taking over as head coach to suggesting that we not play the rest of our games -- was in the best interest of the kids."

This is what coach skogen said during the middle of last year and what I have been saying since this year has been underway....

dadoffour-

you simply go off on me and tell me to stop posting -and that I am embarassing... yada yada yada...because I AM RIGHT!! AND YOU KNOW IT!! you cannot argue with me because the only facts line up in my favor.... I might as well say that you are embarassing yourself because you continue to support a school that, cheats, shows lack of institutional control, gets rid of people they shouldn't, hires people they shouldn't, doesn't listen to good advice, and makes immature and ridiculous decisions to the detriment of the kids as well as the school's reputation....YOU SIR ARE THE EMBARASSMENT!!!

I don't think Kell quit b/c he was losing- he wouldn't have ever taken the job if he was worried about losing...what he said in the article was .... "I felt it was unfair for our kids from a competitive standpoint and I didn't want any of them to get hurt. I'm attached to those kids, and everything I've done -- from taking over as head coach to suggesting that we not play the rest of our games -- was in the best interest of the kids."

This is what coach skogen said during the middle of last year and what I have been saying since this year has been underway....

dadoffour-

you simply go off on me and tell me to stop posting -and that I am embarassing... yada yada yada...because I AM RIGHT!! AND YOU KNOW IT!! you cannot argue with me because the only facts line up in my favor.... I might as well say that you are embarassing yourself because you continue to support a school that, cheats, shows lack of institutional control, gets rid of people they shouldn't, hires people they shouldn't, doesn't listen to good advice, and makes immature and ridiculous decisions to the detriment of the kids as well as the school's reputation....YOU SIR ARE THE EMBARASSMENT!!!

You just can't help yourself can you?

If they had just played JV would they have been able to play varsity the following year? And what grades are eligible for JV?

Yes.

I'm not sure if there are any set regulations for JV just common practice. We play mostly Freshmen amd Sophomores but in the past have play a few Jr's and even Sr's that are not seeing playing time with the varsity. I think Grace had some of their older guys down for the JV game this week because they had about 25+ on the sideline

There is no ager limit for varisty players, it is common practice for coaches to only use players that will probobly not get any playing time in varsity games but sometimes at small schools coaches are forced to use a starter or two simply to fill out the team. But temple could use the exact team they have right now as a JV team if they wanted to.

I'm not sure what the TSSAA rules are for a team dropping out of varsity. I would assume there is some kind of time limit before they can resume varisty play but i don't know for sure.

Personally, I dont think anything can be gained from his standpoint by quitting in the middle of the year, except some embarrassment. It's to bad he could not have stayed until the end of the year. What kind of message is he sending to his players? Good luck to Coach Marcum. His job will be anything but easy, but I know he's really got a heart for the kids. Its gotta be hard to stay positive in that kind of situation.