Coach Chip Kell Quits as Temple Coach

takinit2thehoop

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the deal? Coach Kell is the head coach. Coach Kell is the co-head coach. Coach Kell is the defensive coordinator. Coach Kell is "done" according to the Times Free Press: http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/t...&zoneid=133

I suspect that there is more to this story than having 10 holes and 8 fingers. Can anyone else read between the lines?

How long before the players are "done?"

What's the deal? Coach Kell is the head coach. Coach Kell is the co-head coach. Coach Kell is the defensive coordinator. Coach Kell is "done" according to the Times Free Press: http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/t...&zoneid=133

I suspect that there is more to this story than having 10 holes and 8 fingers. Can anyone else read between the lines?

I believe there is already a post about this.

http://tennessee.coacht.com/boards/index.p...howtopic=159647

This is interesting.

http://www.tntempleacademy.com/site_flash/...mesummaries.php

“It’s hard to put in an offense in two days,” Marcum said. “But I’m trying to do what I think will give this team the best chance to succeed. We’ll add more each week, and as we do hopefully we’ll see some improvement.”

This coming from an AD who has never played football at the high school or college level? Whose only football coaching experience comes from being in John Allen's way on the sidelines last year at Silverdale? I would not call getting rid of someone of Kell's caliber giving the team its "best chance to succeed."

This is interesting.

“It’s hard to put in an offense in two days,” Marcum said. “But I’m trying to do what I think will give this team the best chance to succeed. We’ll add more each week, and as we do hopefully we’ll see some improvement.”

This coming from an AD who has never played football at the high school or college level? Whose only football coaching experience comes from being in John Allen's way on the sidelines last year at Silverdale? I would not call getting rid of someone of Kell's caliber giving the team its "best chance to succeed."

1. Marcum played high school before coming to Temple

2. Why did you say someone got rid of Kell?

3. Does "someone of Kell's caliber" mean someone who played well, or someone who coached well?

i am clearly on the outside, looking in.....

that being said, is it strange that the head coach "stepped down" when the school has asked several players to join the team? isn't this a mixed message? what about seeing your commitments through to the end? again, i'm sure i don't know all the facts, but this seems to be a poor message that was sent to the kids that are battling eveyday to keep a program alive.

With tough games at Silverdale, LV, and SP I can see the concern. At least in the SP game I expect if they can make it through the first quarter and maybe second qtr they will see mostly JV for thr rest of the game. They should at least be more competitive in the games at Copper Basin, David Brainerd and Franklin Road Acd with the 10 extra players although they could just as easily lose all of those. Since they have started the season they need to finish it but IMO they should have taken Coach Skogens advice and just played a JV schedule this year. The young kids could have improved without getting beat on so much.

I hope the temple players make it through the season without serious injuries and without losing their love for the game.

i am clearly on the outside, looking in.....

that being said, is it strange that the head coach "stepped down" when the school has asked several players to join the team? isn't this a mixed message? what about seeing your commitments through to the end? again, i'm sure i don't know all the facts, but this seems to be a poor message that was sent to the kids that are battling everyday to keep a program alive.

Coach Kell wanted to quit over a week ago and they talked him into staying as the D coordinator. I guess he just didn't have his heart into it since the team has been simply out manned in all of their games. Coach Marcum is the head basketball coach and now head football coach and he is obviously the one who talked the basketball players (10 new players according to the article) into joining the team. from what I had heard he previously had discouraged them from playing football with the reasoning that they needed to concentrate on basketball. I guess becoming responsible for football changed his mind.

This is interesting.

?It?s hard to put in an offense in two days,? Marcum said. ?But I?m trying to do what I think will give this team the best chance to succeed. We?ll add more each week, and as we do hopefully we?ll see some improvement.?

Coach Marcum was an assistant at DB for two years with Tim Couch, who left Ooltewah for DB and then returned. DB was not playing a full varsity schedule the first year, but the 2nd year was the schools 1st year in Div II, and he was right in the middle of it. I personally respect him, and know he expects 110% effort from the kids.

Coach Kell wanted to quit over a week ago and they talked him into staying as the D coordinator. I guess he just didn't have his heart into it since the team has been simply out manned in all of their games. Coach Marcum is the head basketball coach and now head football coach and he is obviously the one who talked the basketball players (10 new players according to the article) into joining the team. from what I had heard he previously had discouraged them from playing football with the reasoning that they needed to concentrate on basketball. I guess becoming responsible for football changed his mind.

Are we really surprised????????????????? I dont think so sumbody mentioned this earlier in the year!

"It's hard to put in an offense in two days," Marcum said. "But I'm trying to do what I think will give this team the best chance to succeed. We'll add more each week, and as we do hopefully we'll see some improvement."

Please note he is installing the WingT. I'm not sure what his qualifications are but that is a smart move with the talent and numbers available. I'm just not sure this late in the season how effective changing the offense will be but since you have to incorporate 10 new players starting from scratch may work just as well. If they can make it through Silverdale then the Copper Basin game will give them a little breathing room