Soccer Injuries

VolunteerGeneral

I have known goalies to wear shin guards on their forearms - inside their long sleeve jersey - to protect themselves. Not ever seen a referee "pat down" a keeper to see what else they might be wearing under their long sleeve jersey. I think headgear in HS should be required for keepers. Mainly because of the goal posts.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand. The clothing is not important. If you are refering to the padding a keeper can wear...then it still makes no difference. It is paper thin and made more for landing or sliding then for collisions. It isn't like we are talking football pads here which are made for collisions. The head gear I agree with. Not only from collisions, but kicks to head or hitting the post. My U14 keeper hit her head on the post this past weekend and luckily it was a big bump, but could have been split open. Most players will not wear it because of the look. But I would be in favor of them being mandatory through high school for all players. Gloves are a MUST and the brands that have plastic spines in the fingers are the best for preventing injuries.

Again this postion and how to play it correctly is about training. It is the most under trained position on the team because alot of coaches don't know how to train them. If you don't know how to teach them properly then swallow your pride and ask someone that does.

Most keepers I know (reluctantly) wear long sleeves and long pants to minimize the abrasions from sliding on the turf. They can still occur, but looking at the young lady in the photo, I wouldn't consider her "dressed" to slide on the turf for balls.

If you have nt had to deal with one of these nuisance injuries, then be happy. The surface of the skin is severly abraised and serous fluid keeps weeping out of the wound, keeping it difficult to keep dry and clothes stick to it. They frequently become infected.

Base skin offers no protection, a smiple jersey does...hence, the long sleeves andd long pants keepers wear despite the temperature.

Most keepers I know (reluctantly) wear long sleeves and long pants to minimize the abrasions from sliding on the turf. They can still occur, but looking at the young lady in the photo, I wouldn't consider her "dressed" to slide on the turf for balls.

If you have nt had to deal with one of these nuisance injuries, then be happy. The surface of the skin is severly abraised and serous fluid keeps weeping out of the wound, keeping it difficult to keep dry and clothes stick to it. They frequently become infected.

Base skin offers no protection, a smiple jersey does...hence, the long sleeves andd long pants keepers wear despite the temperature.

The DNJ this morning is saying Anna Grace Gerhart of Siegel suffered a season ending injury in last Wednesdays game vs Riverdale. It looked to be her other knee than the one that had surgery this year. I hope it is not as bad as her other one and she has a quick recovery.

The DNJ this morning is saying Anna Grace Gerhart of Siegel suffered a season ending injury in last Wednesdays game vs Riverdale. It looked to be her other knee than the one that had surgery this year. I hope it is not as bad as her other one and she has a quick recovery.

It's her opposite knee of the one she hurt earlier this year. It is a torn acl and is worse than the previous one. Please keep her in your prayers. She is very upset since this is her senior year and she is out for the season.

I am very sorry to learn of this. I do not personally know Anna, but I am sure our daughter has played with her at some point in the past and our wishes are for an uneventful receovery.

I can share from persoanl expereince, after successful ACL repair, the likelihood of tearing the opposing knee is very real. The management of pateints ha taken great strides since my first allograft and nearly all athletes return back, with a knee that has been rehabbed to the point where it is usually strnger than it previously was. That, unfortunately is where the trouble begins. I cannot shre this as the case with Anna, but it is common to underwork the unaffected knee and it sets up the injury. This is well documented for those who wish to google this.

Please don't "hurry back", take the necessary time and complete your rehab so that you can be at your peak next year in college.

All the best.

What photo are we talking about? Did I miss something?

I thought we were talking injuries not scrapes and "strawberry's" or burns from turf. The long pants and sleeves can help, but alot of times it still occurs. I wore pants during my HS days then switched to just shorts with compression shorts worn under. I will say those nasty burns you get that seep and then stick to your clothes are nasty to get healed. Best remedy I know of is aloe, cover with gauz and some GOOD tape when wearing clothes over the area. When you can wear loose clothing to let it breath and dry out till it can scab over in about two-three days.

What photo are we talking about? Did I miss something?

I thought we were talking injuries not scrapes and "strawberry's" or burns from turf. The long pants and sleeves can help, but alot of times it still occurs. I wore pants during my HS days then switched to just shorts with compression shorts worn under. I will say those nasty burns you get that seep and then stick to your clothes are nasty to get healed. Best remedy I know of is aloe, cover with gauz and some GOOD tape when wearing clothes over the area. When you can wear loose clothing to let it breath and dry out till it can scab over in about two-three days.

Girls soccer v Boys Soccer

Girls skin v boys skin

no scars v scars

"Girls soccer v Boys Soccer

Girls skin v boys skin

no scars v scars"

Just because the players are girls, doesn't mean they aren't tough enough to handle getting a "slider burn" or "strawberry". If a goal keeper feels that her skin is adequately protected in her tanktop, that should be her own decision. Her lack of sleeves is not affecting the play or health of anyone else. More concern should be placed on protecting the goalkeepers from overzealous attackers who feel it appropriate to challenge a ball that is already in keeper possession.

I`m just wondering if any other teams are getting injured players this year. Seems like this sport is more dangerous than football. So far this year Madison Academic has had a broken ankle, a broken wrist, a concussion, and a broken nose. In our last 2 games our opponents have had a busted elbow, a broken ankle, and 2 other girls had to be carried off the field.

who were the refs? Sounds like somebody in this district needs to take control of the games!

I agree but my opinion is based on past experiance with my son. He sustained 2 concussions, a skull fracture and orbit fracture during his high school career. I bought him head gear and he refused to wear it. Luckily he has not suffered any brain dysfunction but we were lucky. If it was a mandatory piece of equipment the injuries would not have been as severe.

Also my daughter recently had a knee reconstruction for ACL/ MCL tear. Does anyone have any ideas as to why females are at such a high risk for this injury?

PS: Luckily I have good health insurance.

regarding females and ACL injuries: Its their hips. The hips throw off their balance. Also in weight training they typically work on the their front quads but not the back of the thighs (hamstrings and glutes) or the abductor and aductor muscles on the sides of the legs as much as the front muscles so the knees are compromised again by balance.

I may open a whole can of worms here. But, how are the refs assigned?

I mean, you know some are more knowlegable than others. It just stands to reason.

I have seen that in some of our games the reffing is unbelievable. And yes, I know we hear that on every team that loses a game.

I believe that every ref wants to make the right call. I do not believe that there is any ref that wants to influence a game with calls or no calls. (opinions on that...start another thread.)

However, I also believe that a smaller district will get the less knowlegeable refs. not everyone can be the ref that gets an A+ on their test. There are some that pass with "D's."

And I believe that some less, "impactive districts" will get these refs.

That scares me. Not because of bad calls. But, because I don't want our girls getting hurt.

Case in point?

We played Station Camp in the playoffs. For the first time all year, we had 3 refs.

They made only one bad "no call" that I could see.

I could tell that they were a caliber above the refs that were at our games during regular season.

(for the most part.)

May not be the perfect system. But, what do you do?

We just grit our teeth, hope they are OK. And give them high fives when they walk off the field.

They are seniors in a flash, and it's over. So, enjoy. Stay safe.

"And call the tough calls."