Reclassifications in 2009 in 4A and 5A statewide

tricitiessportsfan

Mount Juliet is indeed moving up as well as building a new highschool. Station Camp is moving up as well possibly to 5-A to compete with Hendersonville and Gallatin. Beech is on the bubble but could elect to go up to 5-A as well as Portland to make a Sumner/Wilson County 5-A region. At least that is what I am hearing.

Wow - I can't believe that Station Camp is possible for taking the leap to 5A already. I think Beech will go up next year. If they do, it'll be quite the initiation for both schools. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts are that if Maryville and Rhea County move up they would logically move into Region 2-5A at this point. If Mount Juliet moves up they would logically move into Region 4-5A at this point. Like many have said, the low number for 5A will most likely go up to compensate for the possibility of an influx of schools into 5A. I think six classifications would be highly detrimental, especially to schools like Ooltewah, Dobyns Bennett, Schience Hill, Campbell County, etc., not to mention schools out west, who are alienated geographically and would have to travel even further in 6A. I do feel though that there should be a public/private split. I dont think its fair for a private Brentwood Academy, Montgomery Bell, Friendship etc. to play in public sports for the fact of recruitment OR the pay to play factor. Maybe their could be a public/private bowl the week after the public and private state champtionships. I like the idea of a public/private split with an increase in DII teams and a reduction in DI teams where four classifications seem more appropriate. As some have stated, with four classes, travel expenses decline (potentially), local rivalries and gate sales increase (potentially), and playoff spots become more meaningful (fact). If the experiment with the 2A playoffs is seen as beneficial this year look for it to allow uneven school numbers in each classification.

My thoughts are that if Maryville and Rhea County move up they would logically move into Region 2-5A at this point. If Mount Juliet moves up they would logically move into Region 4-5A at this point. Like many have said, the low number for 5A will most likely go up to compensate for the possibility of an influx of schools into 5A. I think six classifications would be highly detrimental, especially to schools like Ooltewah, Dobyns Bennett, Schience Hill, Campbell County, etc., not to mention schools out west, who are alienated geographically and would have to travel even further in 6A. I do feel though that there should be a public/private split. I dont think its fair for a private Brentwood Academy, Montgomery Bell, Friendship etc. to play in public sports for the fact of recruitment OR the pay to play factor. Maybe their could be a public/private bowl the week after the public and private state champtionships. I like the idea of a public/private split with an increase in DII teams and a reduction in DI teams where four classifications seem more appropriate. As some have stated, with four classes, travel expenses decline (potentially), local rivalries and gate sales increase (potentially), and playoff spots become more meaningful (fact). If the experiment with the 2A playoffs is seen as beneficial this year look for it to allow uneven school numbers in each classification.

What is the current # for 5A schools???

I have heard that Lenoir City with 933 enrolled is the smallest 4A.

Maryville 1193

Halls 1180

Powell 1094

Clinton 1152

South Doyle 1348

Knoxville Central 1210

West (Knoxville) 1332

This Class 4A Region 3 as listed on TSSAA web site

Just for comparision, we played Class 3A Anderson Co this season, they are listed at 943

Classifications should definitely be looked at.......there is no way a school with 1350 students should be paired against an indefinite number (2300 or more) That's ALOT of atheletic potential in the "mix".

I have heard that Lenoir City with 933 enrolled is the smallest 4A.Maryville 1193Halls 1180Powell 1094Clinton 1152South Doyle 1348Knoxville Central 1210West (Knoxville) 1332This Class 4A Region 3 as listed on TSSAA web siteJust for comparision, we played Class 3A Anderson Co this season, they are listed at 943

Just curious, where did you get the Maryville numbers? I think they are WAY above that # for enrollment.

The only thing is if both Rhea and Maryville move up that would put 9 teams in the region and if walker valley goes too then that would be 10 teams in Region 2-5A. I'm also interested in seeing what happens to Cumberland County with the split in schools and how much the numbers dropped in Cumberland County. I do agree in a private and public split. However that would only remove 27 schools and a lot of them are A or AA so if they do remove the school in a public/prviate split then I think all the TSSAA would have to do is drop some AA schools down to A and some smaller AAA down to AA. And then just adjust the numbers accordingly. I just don't think that would be enough schools moving out of the 336 to change to a 4 class classification, unless they have more than 8 regions.

The only thing is if both Rhea and Maryville move up that would put 9 teams in the region and if walker valley goes too then that would be 10 teams in Region 2-5A. I'm also interested in seeing what happens to Cumberland County with the split in schools and how much the numbers dropped in Cumberland County. I do agree in a private and public split. However that would only remove 27 schools and a lot of them are A or AA so if they do remove the school in a public/prviate split then I think all the TSSAA would have to do is drop some AA schools down to A and some smaller AAA down to AA. And then just adjust the numbers accordingly. I just don't think that would be enough schools moving out of the 336 to change to a 4 class classification, unless they have more than 8 regions.

You drop 27 teams out and it's going to make some very large regions geographically and there will be a lot of 5 team regions. 75 teams per class isn't that crazy. 10 -12 regions using the Z plan currently used in 2A would just make a lot of sense.

If it doesn't and everyone is correct regarding the Knoxville area, it's going to be very interesting to see who goes where and what they will do.

You drop 27 teams out and it's going to make some very large regions geographically and there will be a lot of 5 team regions. 75 teams per class isn't that crazy. 10 -12 regions using the Z plan currently used in 2A would just make a lot of sense.

If it doesn't and everyone is correct regarding the Knoxville area, it's going to be very interesting to see who goes where and what they will do.

Tennessee is such a small state population wise I wish it would go back to the old A AA AAA days. At least that way winning a state championship would actually mean something. I have to admit I think it takes some of the luster off a BA title when the entire classification only had 10 teams. Heck, there used to be regions that large or larger. And while we are at it how about only letting the top two teams from each region make the playoffs like the old days, I am sick and tired of seing a 2-8 team make the playoffs each year. How about we quit keeping score and give everybody trophies while were at it.

I have heard that Lenoir City with 933 enrolled is the smallest 4A.

Maryville 1193

Halls 1180

Powell 1094

Clinton 1152

South Doyle 1348

Knoxville Central 1210

West (Knoxville) 1332

This Class 4A Region 3 as listed on TSSAA web site

Just for comparision, we played Class 3A Anderson Co this season, they are listed at 943

Maryville is bigger than that isnt it?I could have sworn they were about 300 bigger than Tennessee High and they are at 1200