Maryville's Schedule is WEAK!

WarriorFan

I think Brandon and 32Skidoo be the same. Or at least pee in the same pot.

Interesting that you bring that up. We were teammates on the 80,81,82 State Championship teams and haven't really talked since, until this post started and he said enough for me it identify who he was. Now, if that isn't a CoachT feel good story, I don't know WHAT is.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Brandon and 32Skidoo be the same. Or at least pee in the same pot.

Actually. 32Skidoo and myself went to BA at the same time together. We also played FB together at BA. I have known him almost 30 years. He is a well respected BA parent with two kids at the school. We have the same philospophy because we both have an appreciation for the school. We know BA well, and are well versed in it's history and whatever issues you care to discuss about BA. We have both been active with the school for 4 different decades. We don't personally hang out, but we know each other. Man......it was BRUTAL back in the day. You guys have no clue........kind of like army soldiers bonding......we have mutual respect because we know what each went through. BA Football is probably the toughest thing mentally and physically I have ever been through in my life.....most people will tell you this that went through the program back in "the day"...Most BA players that played college will tell you BA practice was tougher/harder/more brutal than college practice....it is why some average players played way over their heads, and players that played in college typically started. In the four years I played, we had 17 players play DI/DII ball....in some form....FB, Baseball, etc.

HEY 32SKIDOO........get the plus membership so we can send you PM's! It just $12 a year, or $40 for 4 years. Of course, since I have no job, I have talked BA into paying for mine with added $ on my monthly BA players retirement stip...they told me my job was to talk about BA, DII and get Maryville /east TN supporters ticked. Did you recieve your check this week too????? /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> (for all you who now want to pick this up and start accusing BA of players retirement stips..... I just just kidding...just about like this thread......)

OK now you know our history.......back to the thread topic.......

Been gone for a while hoped this thread would be gone. Did some Brandonesk research while gone. People have been quick to point out how Maryville went in the black hole for several years. Also, how they didn't come out of until the mean ole TSSAA decided to split things into DI and DII. This watered down the competition so that Maryville was able to find there way out of the black hole. Well in doing some digging I found that Brandon and Skidoo's Beloved Brentwood Academy had never won a Boys State Basketball until after things were split into 2 Divisions. Wonder how those locallly grown wonderful athletes could never win until after the split? Second, I found the answer to Brandon's question about schedules. The answer has been right in front of us all the time and actually is quite simple. And no the answer is not in Maryville's schedule. The ANSWER is with BRENTWOOD ACADEMY. Brentwood chose to go DII they did not have to. There is a simple way that they could be DI. Just give up scholarships!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Ain't going to happen and everyone knows why.) The split is not Private and Public. If it were schools like Knoxville Catholic, CPA, etc. would not be DI. So guys do something about what you can control and you will be able to see those wonderful state championship games that you say you so long for. Of course if BA chose to give up scholarships they just might be thrown in the division with Maryville and then they just might not win as many championships as they would like. Side step this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not going to look through 37 pages, so this may have been said already. Maryville will likely be 5A the year after next so a lot of the grumbling about the schedule hopefully will end. I think if the new classes would have started this season they'd be 5A already but it's a four-year system.

Been gone for a while hoped this thread would be gone. Did some Brandonesk research while gone. People have been quick to point out how Maryville went in the black hole for several years. Also, how they didn't come out of until the mean ole TSSAA decided to split things into DI and DII. This watered down the competition so that Maryville was able to find there way out of the black hole. Well in doing some digging I found that Brandon and Skidoo's Beloved Brentwood Academy had never won a Boys State Basketball until after things were split into 2 Divisions. Wonder how those locallly grown wonderful athletes could never win until after the split? Second, I found the answer to Brandon's question about schedules. The answer has been right in front of us all the time and actually is quite simple. And no the answer is not in Maryville's schedule. The ANSWER is with BRENTWOOD ACADEMY. Brentwood chose to go DII they did not have to. There is a simple way that they could be DI. Just give up scholarships!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Ain't going to happen and everyone knows why.) The split is not Private and Public. If it were schools like Knoxville Catholic, CPA, etc. would not be DI. So guys do something about what you can control and you will be able to see those wonderful state championship games that you say you so long for. Of course if BA chose to give up scholarships they just might be thrown in the division with Maryville and then they just might not win as many championships as they would like. Side step this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll be back.... /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> ..you just can't help yourself....didn't you leave earlier?

We never put alot of emphasis on basketball until about 10 years ago....we were about FB, wrestling and track.....some baseball........of course, now the rest is history. I can assure you, you would not wanted any piece of Brandon Wright's (UNC and 1st ound NBA draft pick as a 19 year old)....senior team.......By far the best team in the state that year in ANY classification...possibly the best team to ever come out of TN.......Beat Memphis Mitchell, Bolivar (Nationally ranked schools as well).......went all over the country and won MAJOR Basketball tournaments.....only loss the whole season was to White's Creek..... Of course, we can also discuss 7-8 years ago David Harrison's(Colorado and Indiana Pacers) existence at BA..........

nice!

Alright, as Brandon says, back to the topic.

Is Maryville's schedule WEAK? (with emphasis!). Compared to what? That's really what it comes down to. Compared to BA's schedule? Yes, definitely weaker. Compared to other public schools in any given region? No, not really. Of course in scheduling you'll have some up years and down years in terms of competition. While WB has not been a 5A powerhouse, they are way up this year from some past years. Alcoa is reliably good, while Heritage is reliably bad. But compared to other public schools, Maryville has a better than average schedule, and usually do. So I really don't understand what the point of this thread is.

Are you suggesting, Brandon, that a public school attempt as vaunted a schedule as BA? (and the reason BA's schedule is tough gets into the whole public/private scholarship split, which is a whole different debate) If that's what you are comparing our schedule to, then yes it is weak, but your implication is absurd (that a public school should forego local opportunities, both sentimental and economic, in favor of uncertainties simply for the sake of looking better on paper). On the other hand, compared to other public schools we play a better than average schedule, still win state titles, but that would invalidate your assertion. Either way, this thread is lacking depth. Just because some Maryville fans and alums say they would like to see some tougher scheduling does not mean we are conceding weakness. I for one would love to see some marquee matchups, but that does not mean we have a weak schedule as it stands now.

All boiled down, I've read this thread, and you keep saying "back to topic." So I'm challenging you to show how Maryville's schedule is WEAK. Is it the toughest? of course not. Is it better than average for a public school? Absolutely. You are trying to compare apples and oranges, with the overall goal of minimizing Maryville's recent success compared to BA's historical success. In my opinion, Maryville is a classic case of "res ipsa loquitur", while your assertions are intellectual "negligence per se." Maryville might have a weak schedule by your standards, but by objective standards, they have an above average schedule difficulty, yet still win games. Back to topic. . .

Ya know....the more I thought of it, the more I thought this post needs some more attention.......since we have gotten off topic, let's do it..... Since YOU want to go in this direction, dig around and find something to throw at us regarding BA, and talk other sports.........let's do talk. I too did some "digging" by the way, (I am STILL waiting on the news clipping you guys told us you had. 38 pages and you still have not posted for the others to see regarding "Fair Maryville"). ..........go to http://www.tssaa.org/schdir/records/GetRecords.cfm look up team championships (or championships and runner up)......You will see BA at 85.....BA was built in 1969......now.....SCROLL thru the list and find Maryville.....Maryville has only 17. If you want, you can also see how many individual state champions and runners up there are for BA, then look for Maryville's list I can count Maryville's WHOLE trophy case on my hands and toes. BA's trophy case is at 85 for state championships and runners up. You have won ONE basketball championship in your schools history and your are talking so much trash........I cannot remember if Maryville is your school, but since you are in here with a Maryville letterjacket on, I will include you with the school. It appears Maryville has been playing sports since 1926, and 17 championships and runners up trophies are it? You have a 43 year jump on BA in getting "Gold Balls, Silver Balls, etc.! BA has 68 more state championships and runners up trophies? Come on. I thought you guys were a big time program.

You forgot Croquet, Golf, and Championship Poker.

Oh yeah...and paddleball..... /bored.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":bored:" border="0" alt="bored.gif" />

This entire thread is as irrelevant as it is stupid. Maryville and Alcoa play each other every year. Two state title favorites playing every year, regardless of classification, is not scheduling cupcakes. As for other teams in 3-4A, tell me one region out there with eight teams that can all be 10-0 through their schedules. It's not possible. Some schools are always going to rebuild their program because of losses of stud players, eventually you'll probably see a reduction of talent at Maryville...I mean c'mon, no one wins forever. Ask Independence in Charlotte and DeLaSalle in California. Streaks don't last forever, but they can last so long as the aura is there.

Maybe it's time for this thread to go away. It was started as a flame by a troll it seems like and for certain has raised the ire of the Maryville faithful.

Alright, as Brandon says, back to the topic.

Is Maryville's schedule WEAK? (with emphasis!). Compared to what? That's really what it comes down to. Compared to BA's schedule? Yes, definitely weaker. Compared to other public schools in any given region? No, not really. Of course in scheduling you'll have some up years and down years in terms of competition. While WB has not been a 5A powerhouse, they are way up this year from some past years. Alcoa is reliably good, while Heritage is reliably bad. But compared to other public schools, Maryville has a better than average schedule, and usually do. So I really don't understand what the point of this thread is.

Are you suggesting, Brandon, that a public school attempt as vaunted a schedule as BA? (and the reason BA's schedule is tough gets into the whole public/private scholarship split, which is a whole different debate) If that's what you are comparing our schedule to, then yes it is weak, but your implication is absurd (that a public school should forego local opportunities, both sentimental and economic, in favor of uncertainties simply for the sake of looking better on paper). On the other hand, compared to other public schools we play a better than average schedule, still win state titles, but that would invalidate your assertion. Either way, this thread is lacking depth. Just because some Maryville fans and alums say they would like to see some tougher scheduling does not mean we are conceding weakness. I for one would love to see some marquee matchups, but that does not mean we have a weak schedule as it stands now.

All boiled down, I've read this thread, and you keep saying "back to topic." So I'm challenging you to show how Maryville's schedule is WEAK. Is it the toughest? of course not. Is it better than average for a public school? Absolutely. You are trying to compare apples and oranges, with the overall goal of minimizing Maryville's recent success compared to BA's historical success. In my opinion, Maryville is a classic case of "res ipsa loquitur", while your assertions are intellectual "negligence per se." Maryville might have a weak schedule by your standards, but by objective standards, they have an above average schedule difficulty, yet still win games. Back to topic. . .

Well written. I appreciate your post. You have hit the nail on the head. For a public school, you play a better than average schedule. I believe you would do well against other powers in the state. I would love to see it happen.

By the way.....what does "res ipsa loquitur" mean? I have never heard this one. I got a D in Latin at BA......had to drop the course /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

This entire thread is as irrelevant as it is stupid. Maryville and Alcoa play each other every year. Two state title favorites playing every year, regardless of classification, is not scheduling cupcakes. As for other teams in 3-4A, tell me one region out there with eight teams that can all be 10-0 through their schedules. It's not possible. Some schools are always going to rebuild their program because of losses of stud players, eventually you'll probably see a reduction of talent at Maryville...I mean c'mon, no one wins forever. Ask Independence in Charlotte and DeLaSalle in California. Streaks don't last forever, but they can last so long as the aura is there.

Maybe it's time for this thread to go away. It was started as a flame by a troll it seems like and for certain has raised the ire of the Maryville faithful.

Another nice name.......I'm now a "troll".........The topic is playing like a soap opera...... /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> KEVB1990, if you don't want to be on the thread, you can certainly go to other topics elsewhere.....no one is keeping you here......the thread is popular, and that is why it remains........it brings folks into the chat room.........I have rarely seen the amount of traffic on this board in this short of time in the 5 years I have posted. This thread about Maryville's weak schedule is the most popular topic on the board at this time. In the eyes of the mods......the thread is good business. It keeps people going to Coacht to see what the next poster said........it keeps traffic up........I too run a 10,000 member internet business for real estate agents, and I understand the story. This thread is good business......