MBA-Brentwood Academy

YamRocks

Congrats to the MBA team on the much deserved win! BA just did not have it in them... at least on the offensive side. Your kicker is amazing for a high school player. Reminded me of #37 John Vaughn who recently graduated from Auburn. Is it true that he is a sophomore? Wait, if he is just a sophomore, maybe BA can recruit him! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Just kidding.... I was very impressed and he sure made the difference in the game as the MBA offense was only able to take advantage when they had a short field.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen Maryville play multiple times this year, and I think the Rebels are slightly better than both BA and MBA, based on what I've seen and heard about both teams' underdeveloped offenses. The games would be toss-ups.

If I had to rank the state's top teams as of this week, here's how I'd stack them:

1) Murvul

2) MBA

3) BA

4) William Blount

5) Farragut

Keep in mind that I'm only able to see East Tennessee teams on a regular basis.

I've seen Maryville play multiple times this year, and I think the Rebels are slightly better than both BA and MBA, based on what I've seen and heard about both teams' underdeveloped offenses. The games would be toss-ups.

If I had to rank the state's top teams as of this week, here's how I'd stack them:

1) Murvul

2) MBA

3) BA

4) William Blount

5) Farragut

There are a couple of Memphis teams that would have to be included in that list.

1) Murvul

2) MBA

3) BA

4) William Blount

5) Farragut

Wes, you do need to travel a bit!

Can any of these teams stay on the field with Maryville? They are ranked in the top 15 in the nation and show no signs of weakness. What's your opinion?

Ole Dad

Wouldn't it be fun to do it like in the old days (i.e., the 70's), when there were three classifications, and we might have been able to get an answer?

I noticed our offense on several formations and observed two sophomores and a freshmen in the backfield and two freshmen lined up as receivers. I thought then, that we would have to play well to have a chance. That did not happen. Even without the mistakes we would/will need better QB play to have a chance.

MBA played with much more poise and their offensive line did an incredible job. I was shocked how safe the QB was every time. Chris Jordan will not change the results unless we can throw the ball better. With a tough defense like MBA, we will have to complete a couple of those bombs when we had the secondary burnt. It will be tough with or without Chris Jordan to sustain too many drives.

Given all of the short fields, our defense played as well as can be expected. It would have been nice to get to the QB a little more, but that was not a deficiency of our line as much as a proficiency of the MBA offensive line (IMO).

Right on the money. Exactly how I saw it. The score does not reflect how poorly we played. Getting back some of those horrible fumbles was a miracle. It could have been a blow out, otherwise. Our offense looked just as rough as it has all season. The difference was we were against an extremely good defense that will not permit "rough".

to all you guys who calle me crazy when I told you that BA's DLine was overrated, stink on that one, they simply could not take it for the entire game and wore down late. THATS RIGHT BA, YOU LOST, NENENENENENE HAHAHAHAHAHA

hey guys Im sorry I said that, it was stupid and childish and I was just caught up in the excitement after such a big win, so sorry if I made you mad or offended you in some way

hey guys Im sorry I said that, it was stupid and childish and I was just caught up in the excitement after such a big win, so sorry if I made you mad or offended you in some way

No problem - I wasn't mad or offended. When people stop getting so excited, that is when it will be time to start worrying.

1) Murvul

2) MBA

3) BA

4) William Blount

5) Farragut

I haven't seen Maryville play, so I don't know how MBA would stack up against them. I disagree with the argument (not one you made) that MBA's offense is underdeveloped. They can pass fairly well when they need or choose to do so. However, with the monstrous line they have, Bartholemew at FB, and Waddy and Vinsang at TB's, they can afford to run the ball almost exclusively against almost anybody.

As I've said before, I'd love to see it go back to the three classifications. Interestingly, most of the Metro Nashville coaches in those days relished playing MBA and Ryan. Lots of changes over time, but it's not all progress....

Your kicker is amazing for a high school player. Reminded me of #37 John Vaughn who recently graduated from Auburn. Is it true that he is a sophomore?

Yes, he's just a sophomore.

MBA has been blessed with some good kickers over the years. Kicking is widely underappreciated on all levels, but it is very crucial at the high school level. It's amazing how many missed PATs there are in high school football. Take Melrose, for example - in each of the 2002, 2003, and 2004 seasons, they lost their last game by a point (twice in the playoff quarterfinals, once in the title game), and if memory serves, inability to kick XPs was the difference in each game. As loaded as those Melrose teams were, deficiencies in the kicking game probably cost them a state title or two.

Yes, he's just a sophomore.

MBA has been blessed with some good kickers over the years. Kicking is widely underappreciated on all levels, but it is very crucial at the high school level. It's amazing how many missed PATs there are in high school football. Take Melrose, for example - in each of the 2002, 2003, and 2004 seasons, they lost their last game by a point (twice in the playoff quarterfinals, once in the title game), and if memory serves, inability to kick XPs was the difference in each game. As loaded as those Melrose teams were, deficiencies in the kicking game probably cost them a state title or two.

No question about the importance of kicking, and special teams more generally. Those BA teams with Vaughn and Bliss were once in a lifetime. Probably the best kicking game overall of any high school, anywhere, ever!! Tyler Baker, last year's kicker, is now the starting kicker for Samford as a freshman.

Even though the kicker/punter BA has now are undoubtedly better than average high school players, they get put up against some pretty high standards.