Knox West @ Maryville

Knoxvegas98

I'm not as sure about the touchdown.(although it looked in from where I was definitely not 2 or 3 yards out. But the onside kick I know for a fact that it went over 10 yds cause i saw it cross that point and go over about a foot before Thompson jumped on it. Sure there were a few interference calls not called on West, but on very very key 4th downs they gave Maryville spots way beyond what they got. Maryville's stands being a lot closer obviously allows you to see things like this a lot more clearly which makes me wonder if all high school games are that badly reffed. By the way Maryville's student section stunk, they barely made any noise even when it was close and had the most pathetic field rushing I've ever seen.

Geez .... still whining , how many days later ? BTW ... how could it have been over 10 yds if the ball was spotted on West's 49 yd line ? Ya , this is the secret to beating Maryville , whine about the refs , Boy Maryville sure has been lucky to have these same refs the last 51 ..... or is it 52 games now ... I lose count . /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about when Maryville was flagged for holding, and GQ got the game stopped by the side judge to talk about where the ball was spotted. The side judge confered with the Head Referee, then they both started toward the Maryville sideline. GQ came off the sideline and met them between the numbers and the hash. Nowhere else would a referee allow a coach to come that far onto the field to discuss a call. I'm not debating the validity of the call, even though the officials saw it GQ's way and repostioned the ball, just that the ref allowed GQ to do something you don't see anywhere else. Also thought it odd that the Head Referee was a Maryville High School Alum.

How about when Maryville was flagged for holding, and GQ got the game stopped by the side judge to talk about where the ball was spotted. The side judge confered with the Head Referee, then they both started toward the Maryville sideline. GQ came off the sideline and met them between the numbers and the hash. Nowhere else would a referee allow a coach to come that far onto the field to discuss a call. I'm not debating the validity of the call, even though the officials saw it GQ's way and repostioned the ball, just that the ref allowed GQ to do something you don't see anywhere else. Also thought it odd that the Head Referee was a Maryville High School Alum.

Quarles did not stop the game. West had a player hurt way down toward the North End Zone and play had been halted until they got him off the field. Play immediately resumed once they finally got him off.

I'm not as sure about the touchdown.(although it looked in from where I was definitely not 2 or 3 yards out. But the onside kick I know for a fact that it went over 10 yds cause i saw it cross that point and go over about a foot before Thompson jumped on it. Sure there were a few interference calls not called on West, but on very very key 4th downs they gave Maryville spots way beyond what they got. Maryville's stands being a lot closer obviously allows you to see things like this a lot more clearly which makes me wonder if all high school games are that badly reffed. By the way Maryville's student section stunk, they barely made any noise even when it was close and had the most pathetic field rushing I've ever seen.

Maryville's student section may have "stunk" to you because half of them were not there. They were on fall break all week and many were out of town on family trips ect. That is also why Maryville's band did not march at halftime. By the way, from basically midway of the first quarter on, two touchdowns were as "close" as it got. And I have been to MANY games in Knoxville where the officiating was not up to par. It is an old excuse, but I guess if that is all you got it is all you got. If "field rushing" means running game you are right. Ours has been inconsistent at times this year. Fortunately we were able to beat West by two TD's without it.

mhs, that's not the play I'm talking about. There was a holding call against Maryville in the second half, GQ had an issue with where the ball was orginally spotted after the penalty, he informed the side judge, and the side judge stopped the game to confer with the head referee, all of that was normal and completely within the GQ's rights as a coach. The point I was making was not that GQ got favorable treatment in calls from the officials, but when the head ref started to come to the Maryville sideline to discuss GQ's objection, GQ came off the sideline and met them between the hash and the numbers. Every ref I've ever seen would make the coach return to the sideline and discuss it with him there.

Also thought it odd that the Head Referee was a Maryville High School Alum.

STARPOWER you are correct.

However when you have linesman and backjudges from Mairvul's rivals things become more equal. I thought Wagner and some of the other West receivers were playing arena league or Canadian league.....you know where they get a running start or two steps head start before the ball is snapped.

I agree that multiple times I felt the West WR's got off before the snap, a couple of times I thought I was watching a CFL game. I rarely get to see Maryville play, and if I'd known their starting QB was going to play I may not have seen this game. As in my previous post I only came thinking this may be the game Maryville finally gets beat. I had heard Maryville was down, but obviously down by Maryville standards is not the same as down by everyone elses standards. With Shiver, Clendenan, and Douglas you can always manufacture points. The Rodriguez kid is good but not what you've had in the past. The team seemed overall on the small side. But....winners know how to win with what they got, and Maryville certainly has enough, especially with GQ running the show. I can't wait till the move up to 5A, then I'll probably get to see them every year.

mhs, that's not the play I'm talking about. There was a holding call against Maryville in the second half, GQ had an issue with where the ball was orginally spotted after the penalty, he informed the side judge, and the side judge stopped the game to confer with the head referee, all of that was normal and completely within the GQ's rights as a coach. The point I was making was not that GQ got favorable treatment in calls from the officials, but when the head ref started to come to the Maryville sideline to discuss GQ's objection, GQ came off the sideline and met them between the hash and the numbers. Every ref I've ever seen would make the coach return to the sideline and discuss it with him there.

Ok if you say so, but the one I was talking about was a holding call, and it was a fairly long touchdown run by Rodriquez that got called back for a hold. I saw the confusion on the spot and Coach out on the field and I even myself was thinking how odd it was. Then I glanced down at the end zone on the other end and a West player was being helped off the field. Quarles was off the field and the ball spotted long before this player was gotten off the field. If this is not the play you are talking about then the exact same thing happened twice. I even said to my wife, "thats a little unusual" and then saw the West player at the other end.

Geez .... still whining , how many days later ? BTW ... how could it have been over 10 yds if the ball was spotted on West's 49 yd line ? Ya , this is the secret to beating Maryville , whine about the refs , Boy Maryville sure has been lucky to have these same refs the last 51 ..... or is it 52 games now ... I lose count . /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Hmmmm...maybe I haven't been on since Thursday night, and I'm just now responding? And yes it went 10 yds I was standing right there and saw the ball roll over about a foot maybe more past 10 yds. I was entirely blaming the refs, I said there were questionable calls but calling the "trick" plays, and the punt also contributed. You don't think Maryville is beatable at all this year? Because I can say they will have to play a heck of a lot better than that to win state again.