Liberty Play Day

gtl28

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what a player told me is that some of them started cramping up.Maybe GC pioneer can give us some info on UC and some of the other games he saw,some of the best players and teams ,and how far that he thinks some of the teams that he saw might be this year.I know that it is the first wk and the first scrimmage and it is a long way to go and some players were in football.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see Union City play as they played over at North East MS and I stayed at Liberty all day..

First game was between Haywood and Briarcrest...Briarcrest is VERY good!!!! They were without 2 of their starters and a dad of one of the Briarcrest players told me that not a Senior was on that team...ALL Juniors!!! Pretty good for such a young team!!! They probably had the best post player at Liberty yesterday (#55)...Haywood was good and Rickey Taylor is good..They do have more players than just him and could be a possible shot at a AA state tournament.

Liberty does not have the talent they had last year but they played very hard from start to finish of each of their 4 games!! They finished 3-1 on the day yesterday with one loss coming to Christian Brothers due to the fact that Liberty started the B team and were down 21 at the half and came back and only loss by like 8..Their toughest opponent was Memphis Hamilton, Hamilton has some very good talent and athletes at every spot on the floor..Liberty won that game by 12..Liberty also played another tough game with Craigmont..Craigmont and Hamilton were almost identical but Hamilton being just a hair better..From what I heard yesterday Craigmont, Liberty, and Hamilton will all be in the same 3A region...That'll be one of a regional tournament but if I were to bet money it'd be on Liberty and Hamilton making it through there!!!!

The best player yesterday was probably either Rickey Taylor from Haywood, #55 from Briarcrest, or Tyler Cutter from Siegel...There was lot's of talent there yesterday and I may be forgetting some of the players...

The top team at Liberty yesterday IMO had to have been Liberty...with the teams they played against and how exhausted their players probably were they were probably the best team up there

Liberty should be very good this year. They are in 7AAA region which includes Craigmont, Raleigh Egypt, Bolton,

Cordova, JCM, etc.

Hamilton, Ridgeway, White Station, Wooddale, Kirby, etc. make up Region 8AAA. Only 2 teams out of this conglomeration will make it to state.

By the way, Craigmont was probably without Terrico White on Saturday since he is still playing football. He makes a difference in their makeup.

Siegel was pretty good...Tyler Cutter is the go-to man on that team...IF #44 had more athletic ability and better fundamentals he'd be one of the top big guys around with the heighth he has...

Yeah, #44 did seem to get pushed around a bit but like you said some more athletic ability and he would be up there. That Cutter kid does seem to be their go to kid but seemed to dribble quite a bit and should get the others involved more. Once he goes to college the coach will not go for a dribbler, dribbler, but he is good.

Ya...Johnny was it..I remember that name now, I heard someone say it...He is VERY good!!

Briarcrest was without starters Leslie McDonald, Elgin Lee, and Jake McCrary. Also seniors Spencer Green, Robbie Zettler, and Chris McDaniel were not with the team.

Johnny Williams was #55. He was only eligible for the final four games last season, but should be a huge part of the team's success this season.

Is there any team in the state that will be able to compete with Briarcrest this year? In any division? They have to have the most talent in the state.

Yes, Briarcrest is very good, but I think Liberty would've given them all they wanted and some more...I could see Hamilton playing with Briarcrest as well..